I Think My Cat is Passing Away and I Don't know why

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thirteen years ago a funny looking kitten was born in one of my bathrooms. His mother had been dumped in my yard during a week when the highest temp was three degrees. Yeah, I knew she had belonged to some irresponsible fool because she was wearing a stupid Hartz flea collar, which I know she didn't pick out herself. Well, you guess it, sixty days later there were kittens. Avatar was one of them.

Avatar was born deformed and I didn't think he would ever see his first birthday. His lower jaw juts out way past his upper one and the upper one has no teeth. He learned to scoop up food with his lower jaw. Full grown he weighs all of four pounds and his back bone sticks out so much that it gives him a hunchback look. As a tiny kitten he never got enough to eat because he couldn't latch on properly and would cry miserably when his mother would end the nursing session. Then soon after she weaned him he almost died from dehydration because he couldn't figure out how to drink from a water bowl. He was a fighter.

I think he is losing the fight. For the last two weeks he would come up to me aggressively to howl for more food even though I had just put some out. I thought he was being a pest and either would shoo him off or take him back to his food dish. I may have made a fatal mistake with that assumption. On Friday night I noticed he was looking dangerously thin and his face was sunk in. He was also straining to defecate. His condition continued to worsen and by Saturday night he was at the Emergency Animal clinic. We got checked in at twelve-thirty a.m. and five hours we left, with me none the wiser.

He is cold, like an ice cube. The ER doctor thought he may just be a little low with this temp, she wasn't concerned about it. He was nauseated so she gave him a shot, which is now starting to kick in. His stools have been so hard and I was told to get Mylanta. I have been giving him syringes of water and keeping him warm. I honestly don't know what else to do. Yes he ate, but he looks so bad. His fur is greasy, his body is ice cold and he is so lethargic. He acts uncomfortable, like he can't find the right position to lay in. Could sever bout of constipation be causing all of this?

I feel so helpless and that is nothing to what he must be feeling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Furballsmom Furballsmom and Jcatbird Jcatbird .

Update: Avatar's condition deteriorated yesterday and I held him all night to keep him warm. He is at my vet's now and I am scheduled to pick him up after two. They are giving him fluid, did some blood work and are mainly keeping him warm. I think my vet suspects kidney disease but I have had cats in the past that had severe kidney issues and there were always symptoms that I noticed. Yes, both were in renal failure but neither one looked like Avatar. I have never seen a cat go down as fast as he has over the last two days.

I am getting a heating pad and honey today but I am not optimistic. I am also afraid that I might be prolonging the inevitable.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add my prayers for him and you as well. It is soo hard re special needs kitties and beyond heartbreaking and I'm not even mentally built to deal with reptitive loss. Honestly, if I'm yet alive after my 2 kitty's pass I won't be doing very well, I already know it. I wouldn't even be able at my age now (over 60) TO FATHOM ANOTHER KITTY IN MY LIFE SHOULD I survive the loss of these 2 -- or either one even.

I got my heart entwined w/ cats so much that now feel everything so intensely, and I'm not sure that's healthy. But we must all persevere. I am praying for all of us and asking for Divine help, as their lives are really not in our hands for sure. Sorry to ramble..

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have been reading this thread, but didn't comment because I have no valuable information to offer. But, I do want to say that given Avatar's issues, you and your loving care are very likely the only reason he has made it this far. For whatever is behind this change - probably connected to his lifelong condition - he has so far had a good life with you, and will most certainly continue to do so if he can fight through this.

It isn't that this tragedy made you appreciate him any more than you already did. It's just that day-to-day efforts become part of life, and those who care - as you have - tend to forget that their efforts are above and beyond - it kind of becomes 'normal' to you even if it is in fact monumental to others. I am sure Avatar is with the rest of us in knowing that what you have done for him is monumental.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello - talk to another vet, and keep hand feeding him to ensure he's getting enough, and syringing water into him, and utilizing a heating pad set on low. However, one of the questions I'd ask the vet is what would they do if this cat was theirs?

I took Avatar to my vet today and he examine him. Nobody really knows for sure but they suspect kidney failure and one of the techs told me that Avatar is trying to die. She said, in her opinion, that he was suffering but my vet thinks he is too far out of it to be in agony. I don't know, I just don't know.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you caused anything to go wrong. This little guy is a 13 year old special needs kitty who has lived on borrowed time his whole life thanks to your care.

Thank you, fionasmom fionasmom for your kind words. I don't know how many times that Avatar wanted to cuddle and I was always too busy. It seemed as though he was always cold, maybe he had circulation problems. I will try to take some photos of him tonight and post them for everyone tomorrow. I am feeling so depressed right now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Stay there, mentally/emotionally, with him in the moment right now whenever you're with him, even if there's some question whether he's fully aware - he'll still possibly be picking up on warm loving emotions which is the only thing you want to be giving him. He doesn't care a single iota about what occurred before.

Then, you'll be needing to make the most difficult yet most unselfish and compassionate decision that there is to make, for him.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Stay there, mentally/emotionally, with him in the moment now.

Then, you'll be needing to make the most difficult yet most unselfish and compassionate decision that there is to make, for him.

Last night I had him on my chest while I slept so he could keep warm, didn't have the heating pad then. I don't know how many times I woke up just to check if he was still breathing.

I am here for him tonight and should he live through it, I will be there for him tomorrow as well. This never gets easier.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Update everybody:
First of all I want to thank everybody who has taken the time out of their busy lives to offer support for Avatar and me. Avatar is still with us, but I know he is declining. Right now its just keeping him comfortable until my vet can get him in. I have been giving him syringes of wet food and also injecting fluids under the skin. He is thin and weak. His breathing is normal but he is out of it. However he looks very warm and comfortable, even stretched out. I have even thought of giving him some paste. I did not have honey but I put some maple syrup on his gums.

I honestly don't know how we got here but I do know he is going. One of the techs, who I do not care for, told me yesterday that Avatar was trying to die. I agree, but I also thought a part of him was trying to live as well. Whether that second part is realistic at this stage- well that is the question.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always admired you jefferd18 jefferd18 , for your immense passion and love for your cats, and this time you're not different.
I haven't much to say, but I do hope you and your Avatar can face this hard moment with courage and pride!

Thank you my friend, coming from you that is high praise indeed.
I don't know about courage or pride but I will make sure I will do right by him.

Status
Not open for further replies.