I think my cat ate carpet string

Zylalove18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can’t believe this happened..earlier today around 2 pm I was cleaning my house and minding my business when I vaguely hear some weird sound..My mind is a million places at once so I don’t react right away until it hits me “Zyla is eating something!” I run to find her..and she’s chomping away on something! I panicked and in her panic she swallowed the rest of it and looked at me very pleased with herself. I’m not entirely sure what she ate but I suspect carpet string because my husband ripped out old rugs up and we could have missed something. I’m completely stressed. She had a internal blockage from eating hair ties only 8 months ago! (Hair ties weren’t mine but her previous owner)

I fed her a tiny bit of pumpkin and wet food. She is acting totally fine. She was playful and has an appetite. When do I know for certain she’s fine? In 24 hours?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
You might give your clinic a call and listen to the greeting to see if they provide a 24 hour number so you can talk to a person. I'm hesitating to say anything, except I'm sending all sorts of positive thoughts!!

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. A lot will depend on how much she ate, and how big/long the carpet fibers are. Do you have any way of telling either? If she ate just one piece of carpet fiber, it wouldn't like pose a problem, but numerous pieces might be a different story. The kind of carpeting it was could also have some bearing on whether it will pass easily or not.

Calling the vet just to ask them what they think is a good idea. Watch her for any signs of digestive issues - and, if it were me I would be going through her litter box deposits to see if it 'comes out the other end'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zylalove18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. A lot will depend on how much she ate, and how big/long the carpet fibers are. Do you have any way of telling either? If she ate just one piece of carpet fiber, it wouldn't like pose a problem, but numerous pieces might be a different story. The kind of carpeting it was could also have some bearing on whether it will pass easily or not.

Calling the vet just to ask them what they think is a good idea. Watch her for any signs of digestive issues - and, if it were me I would be going through her litter box deposits to see if it 'comes out the other end'.
The vet said to keep an eye on her. She is aware of Zylas tendencies to eat what she shouldn’t, back in April Zyla had surgery because she ate hair ties, I think her owners gave her up because they didn’t want to pay for the surgery but that’s an entire different story lol. This cat is going to age me! Lol.

she’s acting her normal self so far. She ate and played and did her usual morning poop. I did check it out, I cut it up to see if I’d see string and I only saw her usual fur in it. I’m hoping whatever string she got was thin enough it digested properly. I’m almost sure the carpet fiber had to of been at least 3-6 inches long (I only saw a glimpse of it) I’m hoping she’ll be ok