I start Student Teaching tomorrow!

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover67

with 17 1st graders!! I also met my cooperating teacher and her students. She is very nice and her students are going to keep me hopping for the next 5.5 months!! I am looking forward to teaching in spite of some of the jaded responses from seasoned teachers I have seen on here recently.

I have worked at MANY different jobs over my 37 years, and believe me, most have their down sides and some were just downright ROTTEN.
I'm so jealous of you guys! I don't start til August, if I'm lucky and can get a paid internship then!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laureen -

That particular EBD student seems to like me at least though. Seems as if he was having a particular rough day. At least his Mom admits that he has problems whereas some parents won't. I just felt bad. The teacher told him not to ask for help if he doesn't really want someone else helping. He then ran out in the hallway (we thought he was going over to the other 2nd grade room where the rest of the kids were watching the end of "Finding Nemo") and threw the little fit before running into the bathroom and then she called the special ed teacher and she came and got him. He seemed to calm down rather quickly from that episode, unlike the morning. He's an average student otherwise.

I still haven't learned all of their names, especially a group of boys who sit towards the middle, but I will learn with time. Thank goodness for the names on their desks!

P.S. Catlover - I'm glad things are going well for you. My co-op, supervisor and I meet tomorrow for a bit. I didn't get that awful woman who graded my portfolio. I got a guy, who is new, but happens to have the same last name as her. He has done this in Washington State before and taught 4th grade for awhile. He seems nice. I definitely feel worn out. I think I need a nap.

PinkDaisy - When will you be student teaching? I thought you just applied to a program.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sofiecusion

PinkDaisy - When will you be student teaching? I thought you just applied to a program.
Not until August or so. I start classes the week after next, and then I need to get an internship by start of the school year in the fall. And that's when I can quit my job!
But it's nerve wracking... what school is going to want to hire an intern who can't teach without a mentor, when there are plenty of qualified teachers out there, ya know?

I'm glad it's going well for you though! Good luck with that little boy!