I seriously regret the day I ever said "yes"....

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, maybe she's just needed more reassurance of your love (like you had been withholding it or something!), and may be extra needy. If you can keep things going, without pushing, it could work out ok in the end (apart from inevitable cat spats which may always come up). All fingers are crossed for you!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really hope Ophelia, comes around for you. We have 3 males and one female(heyu).
I wish we could take her, but it sounds like maybe you getting some luck there.

keep up the good work.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chances are, that these personality changes you're seeing with Ophelia are related to the Buspar. Seems like you're seeing some good things from her. I certainly hope that she continues to make progress on the meds...sometimes all it takes is to find the med that will work!

Please keep us updated. Really been thinking about you and this situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I forgot her am dose yesterday & she was testy last night. Dosed her last night & this am....she seems "normal"(how do I define normal for her) now. She let me pick her up & hold her for an entire 30 seconds!
Very mellow. She's actually still hissing at Molly, but not chasing her(Molly's sad, she likes playing with Ophelia
).

Someone stole evil Ophelia & the one they left in her place is wonderful! Now I can't help but wonder why I didn't try Buspar before. She seems so happy. Lily, too. Lily still freaks out some, but other than that, no bahvioral issues. She wouldn't move away from me while I was cooking lunch. She even layed on my pate in an effort to get my attention.
Maybe I can get the two of them to get along yet....Ophelia on meds & Lily not. We'll see in a few more weeks.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Something good happened this morning!!

I didn't realize Lily was downstairs when I got up, so I let Dory, Molly, Ophelia, & Damita out of my bedroom. Well, Lily saw Ophelia & ran as usual. Ophelia just sat there. She didn't do anything!! Ophelia's been really cuddly, snuggly, purry... When she would sleep with me before the Buspar, she'd hiss/growl/bite if I moved her. Now, she just moves with me, snuggling against me.

Hopefully, I don't jinx anything by telling you guys this!!!
That's great news!
Hopefully the Buspar will help Ophelia out more and more.

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
Natalie I just read this whole thread and had no idea things were so bad

My heart is absolutely aching for you

I like the screen door idea and I agree that euthanizing is not an option, just because she doesnt get on with Lily.
My heart breaks for sweet little Lily however. I think that putting her on the Buspar may also be a good idea, just to make her feel a little better and more relaxed.
I have everything crossed that this situation be resolved, however that may be. I know you always do everything you can for your babies, they are very lucky to have you.
Please keep us updated

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had just looked into your thread about Buspar to see how things are, and so happy to have checked here........... We exchanged some posts about the Buspar and I am glad to hear that it is having a positive reaction for Ophelia. It is very important to administer regularly, as it seems you have noticed
. I think you have an incredible vet for giving so much insight to the situation, it is so important to include mental health in physical diagnosis, AND treat sensibly, not erase all ability of. It will take some time for things to settle in, Lily may have become accustom to Ophelia's anxiety.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do hope Ophelia keeps on improving. It sounds so encouraging that things have taken a big step forward so quickly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your dedication to your kitties and your perseverance in the face of such an incredible challenge is awesome, Natalie. You are a true gem!

I'm sooooo glad things are looking up. You and your cats deserve the very best. I'm praying for all of you.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What wonderful news! I'm so glad for you... may it all continue to improve. I know your situation was truly serious, and I deeply admire you for not giving up on Ophelia.

Tensions are easing here too, between Sassy and Pearl (with Sassy on Prozac and three herbals). Isn't it great to see your babies feeling better?

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Of course you're not. Besides, you really don't know how she'll be with kids. Years ago, a friend took in a feral her husband found living in an alley. She was really wild, and nobody could touch her. When my friend's sister had a baby, the cat took to him right away, and wouldn't leave his side whenever he was visiting or staying over. It was the oddest thing.
We're first-time-in-30-years pet owners (with kids) and have a feisty cat situation of our own. I'm betting that most families wouldn't deliberately choose cats with temperaments like this but when the cat chooses them they're willing to give it a chance and sometimes it works out just fine.

We found our kitten at 2 weeks of age in the back yard--he's out of a wild mama in the neighborhood. He's very feisty, totally ignores all training efforts to to keep off the table, likes to be petted only when he's ready, doesn't do laps, hisses at Grandma, is bitey, and still occasionally ambushes us walking down the hall...sometimes with claws. He does have many wonderful qualities as well and of course he adores us and we love him to pieces. My guy wouldn't be a cat for every family and I doubt I'd recommend him for kids but we're a great match for him. We have a difficult child in the family so everyone--kids included--understand issues like respecting his need for space, accepting that he's not what we'd expected a cat to be like, etc.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just thought I would post an update!

I was worried that the meds were no longer working. Last night, Ophelia was testy when sleeping on my bed. She hissed at me. Tonight, she's playingnicely with Molly!
She's never played nicely with Molly before, she's always huffy & puffy about it. I have a vet appt. for Damita & Twitch on Fri @ 4pm, so I am going to talk to the vet further about Buspar & Ophelia. This is by no means a "miracle cure", but it seems to be making Ophelia happy. I bought two big ugly mice today in the pet store. She has been playing with both of them so no one else can have either.
That's my Ophelia.

Lily is getting braver. I shut the "bedroom gang" in my room at night to sleep with me(Ophelia, Molly, Dory, & Damita). I let Twitch & Lily have acess to the downstairs. Lily sleeps on a blanket right outside my door. She doesn't bolt when she sees Ophelia. Ophelia likes to put her paws under doors & reach for anything....that gets Lily a little riled up, but Lily can't decide if she should play with the paws of attack them. I like the Lily I'm seeing. She's happy....and she's getting pudgy, too!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so cool! Frankly, I'm on Prozac myself, and hardly attack people anymore at all!

But seriously - it just really helps by keeping you from going off on these self-absorbed depressing/destructive tangents. Instead (as a person) you just sort of shrug it off and don't dwell on it.

Does that make sense?

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read most of this post and I am glad things are looking up for your girls. But my prayers are still with you till this is all resolved and I wish every cat had such a good meowmy as you.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just read through this thread and am so, SO happy things are working out for Ophelia. You are such a dedicated and responsible cat owner and your love for your babies shines through. I hope the news continues to get better for you and your kits!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

That's so cool! Frankly, I'm on Prozac myself, and hardly attack people anymore at all!

But seriously - it just really helps by keeping you from going off on these self-absorbed depressing/destructive tangents. Instead (as a person) you just sort of shrug it off and don't dwell on it.

Does that make sense?
She's on Buspar for now, but I'm glad the Prozac keeps you from lashing out much anymore!
She has been really testy today, so I am wondering about increasing her dosage. Was it cheylink who said that dosage needs to be increased? Sorry....I can't remember these things, but I'll know tomorrow at 4pm!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it was me
Just checking in, she may very well need a dosage increase...............................Hope things get back on track!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Her dosage was increased. She was getting 5 mg 2x a day, she will now get 7 1/2 mg(the max. dose) 2x a day. The next step up, the vet says, is Valium. I don't really want to go there, either. Keep your fingers crossed this continues to work!