I need help

labstuff444

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,
I posted a while back about my two cats getting into a nasty fight and working with a behavioral vet/medicating them to try and fix this.
Long story short, it didn't work. 1000$ plus and 4 months of my life ended in TWO more fights.
So very sadly, I'm having to rehome one.
The even worse part, is rehoming is also proving to be impossible. I've been searching for months to no avail. And in the meantime, it's literally like living in cat prison for all 3 of us.
I live in a one bedroom apartment and they can't ever be in the same room. Keeping them separated (especially when they want at each other) is very challenging.
And on top of that, my more vocal cat is literally driving me into a nervous breakdown. She yells. ALL the time. Literally. In the room with me, out of the room at the door, when I'm trying to sleep if I move.
She doesn't even want attention usually. Literally just to yell.
And I feel awful because I KNOW its because she is losing her mind.
But I cannot and will not just dump someone at the shelter.
Normally the vocal cat IS the good one too. Which is why she is the likely rehoming candidate because she's adaptable.

Its just such a sick and devastating situation. That is somehow getting progressively worse.

I just literally don't know what to do at this point :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were they raised together, or was one brought in after the other? How long have you had the new one? If it is 4-6 months tehy just need more time, i had one set of cats took a year to get along. you will have to get a screen door and screw it into your bedroom door (the holes can be filled in with matching wood putty.) and let them see each other without actually being together. Make sure it has a LOCKING latch (hook and eye with a little bar underneath) because if the angry cat hits a regular lock, believe me, it will open, I know from experience. Start with feeding them at the same time far apart and work at getting them to eat closer together. still exchange sleeping blankets too so they get used to the others smells. it sounds to me like a bad introduction. Cats need slow and easy. if this started with some kind of bad experience, tell us. We will do whatever needs to be done to make this work!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi L labstuff444
I think I remember your posting about the time I captured my feral boy Timmy,,back around June?

I thought they were doing well on gabapentin- am I remembering correctly? Two females was it? What happened?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you rejecting no kill programs? My brother once found a no kill shelter for a perhaps permanently mean cat with kidney disease -- they were able to rehome it. Those places are plugged into folks that are willing to take on a more difficult cat -- folks you would never find on your own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

labstuff444

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi L labstuff444
I think I remember your posting about the time I captured my feral boy Timmy,,back around June?

I thought they were doing well on gabapentin- am I remembering correctly? Two females was it? What happened?
Individually they were doing fine. But the second we tried re introducing, it was immediately violent. To a degree that even surprised my vet. And he ended up reccomending rehoming. :(

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you get the emails from TCS by Felicity Tailsworth? If not you might want to enable that option in your preference settings.... they are quite nice,informative and very often entertaining as well

Well this morning I was looking at TCS email and if you haven't seen it you might want to give it a read,perhaps it might give you some hope for giving a re-,introduction another try.... please understand I'm not trying to dissuade you from re- homing one of your kitties but it doesn't sound like you have your mind set on doing so- either way we are all here to support you and whatever you do finally decide.....take a look

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Individually they were doing fine. But the second we tried re introducing, it was immediately violent. To a degree that even surprised my vet. And he ended up reccomending rehoming. :(
You're in a very difficult situation. I'm sorry.

Can you help us to understand? You said, "it immediately went violent." Are you saying it went violent when you scent swapped? That is the first step.