I Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you have an uncovered or poorly covered aquarium the vast majority of cats will kill the fish. I have multiple aquariums, a cat, and for a few years I lived with someone with 2 more cats that definitely wanted to eat my fish. Most problems with aquariums are easily solved. Cat kills fish? Get a tightly fitting lid. It's safer for the fish anyway so they can't jump out, it reduces evaporation, and it keeps the air humid for anabantoids. Cat drinks out of your filter? Get the cat a fountain.

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
People may confuse a cat's behavior with a dog's behavior. And there a lot of cute and amazing cat videos online showing affection etc, the cute things associated with kitties.

Not the raging aggression, or diseases, or diarrhea or coughing up a hairball, or zooming around the house at 2 am, or getting your feet chomped upon when sleeping. So the first time someone brings a cat without being familiar with them through relatives or friends, they have a very different expectation from cats. And when those expectations are not met, the cat is blamed for it.

There are many adoption agencies that make you give references etc to adopt an animal and make you go through necessary training and seminars regarding behaviors and food and common diseases etc. Some shelters dont offer it. But it is so essential for understanding cats. Cats can be cute purring machines one minute, and a speedy predator mauling a bird the next minute. This is their nature. This has to be expected and accepted.
And if you cannot accept their 'negative' behavior, find out if you have the patience to train them, and also find out what behavior is instinctive, what is based on how we interact with them and what behaviors are to be expected when they get sick.

Its not too complex. But you have to be invested and passionate enough to spend some time reading about cats.

Last edited by a moderator:

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
While, when I hit Luke, only thing I was trying to do was associate correlation in Luke's mind between 'destroying plant' and 'unpleasant thing."
I found out through this website that hitting cats or trying to punish them after they do something doesn't work in terms of building correlations in cats' minds. They just get afraid of you or don't trust you. Maybe someone will post the threads I've seen mentioned in the past.

I just get very angry when I hear that someone hit a cat (or small animal or child) very hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just get very angry when I hear that someone hit a cat (or small animal or child) very hard.
I think we all support you in seeing red at physical violence towards a person/animal that cannot defend themselves. We have our moments of regret and, as much as it sucks, education and self-control gets us further than anger.

That said, I do hope the OP agrees as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.