I need HELP!!!

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 6 month old cat isis nose is white instead of pink, so are her gums. I'm guessing she's anemic. But at the moment there is no near by vet. What can I do for her?? 75% of her nose is white. The other 25% is pink. What can i feed her???? What do I do for her????

3catsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Check her hydration levels by pulling her skin and releasing. If it ripples down slowly, She is dehydrated and needs fluids and vet attention.
How long has she been pale? How do her ears and eye mucus membranes look? White / pale or pink?
There are many things that can cause anaemia. (I just went through this with my ten year old girl, Luna. She lost a lot of weight quickly, her liver was damaged and she was dehydrated and anaemic). Could be iron deficiency, B12 deficiency, muscle or tissue damage to liver, kidney, other ograns.
Does she pee and poop without straining? Any vomiting or diarrhea?
Ifshe is otherwise normal, you can try an iron or vitamin supplement in the meantime, see if it helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not dehydrated, I pulled her skin it goes back down quick. She's been pale for about 2 days to 4. And she's white so her eye mucus has always been red and normal. Her pee and poop is normal as well. Just every once and a while she has diarrhea. But its only when we feed her wet cat food. No vomiting at all. She acts completely normal, just her gums and nose are kind of pale, her paws are still normal pink.

3catsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So it definitely isn't a severe state, which is great!
I would try the iron and vitamin supplements for now and see how she does within a couple days.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What does she eat? Is she eating normally? Check her for cuts, abcesses, bruising, etc. Are there any sore or tender spots?

I agree it sounds like she is anemic just with the pale gums but is she lethargic too. Without knowing the cause you can only treat the symptoms until you can get her to a vet (also to confirm anemia and not something else happening). And she does need a vet to fully treat whatever is wrong. Anemia can be caused by way too many different things that each have a different treatment and it isn't one of those things you cross your fingers and hope it gets better. If there is anyway to get her to the vet now you should, if it is impossible right now make it a priority. While she isn't super young kittens in general can go swiftly downhill.

Make sure she stays hydrated and give her meat rich foods. Since cats are obligatory carnivores their diets are rich in iron already. You can try feeding liver for an iron boost or finding a cat friendly iron supplement (although I caution not to overdo any thing incase it isn't anemia) and check what you are feeding to make sure no onion snuck in because onion in cats can cause anemia.

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just gave her a bath, no bruising cuts or abscesses, no sore or tender spots . she eats friskies hard food, and friskies wet food. Is it okay to feed her raw ground beef? Or maybe even tuna? She's 6 months old with her shots already. I'll try and get her to a vet sometime this week, I'll be going home tomorrow. She eats normally, her food bowl is always full I refill it because I have 3 other cats and she likes to eat, and I'll make sure she stays hydrated I wash her water bowl everyday and refill it with bottled water. If I can't feed her ground beef nor tuna, I'll go get some liver for her. Thank you, I won't overdo everything. She doesn't eat onions and we don't have onions here because I don't like it, so that's okay.

3catsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately friskies isn't a great food for cats. It's like McDonald's for humans. Their main ingredient is likely a by product or corn. And a lot of fillers and grains. A better quality, grain free food would be advisable for all your cats. Cats need a meat based protein diet.
If all you have is Tuna, you can give her some to see if it helps. If it is canned tuna for humans, it is advisable to rinse the tuna to rid of the added salt. You can add some warm.water to it after to moisten it again for her.

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay. I get friskies because my cats are picky and don't like other brands. I'll look into other good brands, thank you!!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Not dehydrated, I pulled her skin it goes back down quick. She's been pale for about 2 days to 4. And she's white so her eye mucus has always been red and normal. Her pee and poop is normal as well. Just every once and a while she has diarrhea. But its only when we feed her wet cat food. No vomiting at all. She acts completely normal, just her gums and nose are kind of pale, her paws are still normal pink.
My 6 month old cat isis nose is white instead of pink, so are her gums. I'm guessing she's anemic. But at the moment there is no near by vet. What can I do for her?? 75% of her nose is white. The other 25% is pink. What can i feed her???? What do I do for her????
If your cat is so anemic that her tissues are turning white, well then, It IS an EMERGENCY!!!

​She needs to see a Vet immediately... 

Your kittie is very sick.. She needs Veterinary help and advice immediately.. 

The dangers of severe anemia are life threatening..

I do not mean to scare you, but if this were my cat, I would be at the Emergency Vet, right now...I would not wait around...

As you said, she has been like this for several days.. too long to wait until 'sometime this week'...

Wishing you the best...

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I tend to agree with Artiemom, although it's really hard to assess exactly how bad it is via the internet.  But pale gums and white nose obviously isn't normal.  And I would be careful about how much liver I feed as you can overdo it and cause other issues.  A cat vitamin B would be better, IMHO.  And I would say "NO" to ground beef unless you cook it. 

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have an update, her nose is no longer pale. Its back to normal pink color. Its just her gums now.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I have an update, her nose is no longer pale. Its back to normal pink color. Its just her gums now.
She is still anemic... she could have eaten something toxic. 

I would still take her to the Vet. She needs to be medically seen.. Sorry to keep saying this, but, I would not wait around. 

Please take her to be seen. 

We cannot diagnose over the internet. The reason you posted here is that you wanted/needed advice. Who better to give it than a Vet??  If you are so concerned that you posted, then your baby needs medical care. 

Please do not wait to see if she improves; she can go downhill very fast....

Anemia can be from so many things.. all the way from simple, easy to fix things, unto severe life threatening ones...

Do yourself and you cat a favor and please see a Vet..and do not wait...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely make sure she is warm (cats like it much warmer than us) A heat pad on low or a pet heated pad would be wonderful. Lots of water and any thing she wants to eat right now would be good, you can get her back on a regular diet once she is well. Tuna. Gerber baby food in the meats, anything she enjoys. My cat LOVES Arbeys roast beef. If you can get hold of soem L-Lysine for cats (I order mine on Amazon as treats) it is wonderful for kitty colds, and builds up their immune systems.  I agree with seeing the vetis best, but if you can't, just love her, make sure she is comfortable and quiet, and I'll pray that she gets well, all the luck!

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took her to the vet yesterday, 3 hour drive. Just told me she was anemic and that she'll be ok. Didn't give any antibiotics and told me to try switching her wet food to a different brand even if she doesn't like. He didn't recommend anything specific. But overall, she's ok. I'll keep an eye on her!

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, I also changed from friskies hard food to Iams grain free. Is that okay?

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hey, I also changed from friskies hard food to Iams grain free. Is that okay?
Better than Friskies, yes. 

I'm so glad you took her in.  You must feel better, just knowing, although I wish the Vet had given you a little more instructions that to switch her wet food.  Did he tell you WHAT to switch it to?  No added vitamins or anything?  Did he give her a Vitamin B shot or anything?  Did he do a blood test to see what her HCT level was? 

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yea I wish so too. He didn't really do anything he checked her blood though, but he didn't tell me her HCT levels. Its the same vet that told me my special needs cat was "just a weird cat" when he has CEREBELLAR HYPOPLASIA. They said nothing was wrong with him then we took him somewhere else. But I thought, since its new people working there it would be better. Although, he did tell me if diet change doesn't work at least a little to bring her back in for antibiotics.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Well, at least you took her in. I am glad you did.. I am not really certain about your Vet just dismissing her..sigh

I would honestly think about asking this Vet for a copy of the blood tests.. You can then see where the levels are at..

For your cat to be so severely anemic and then to spontaneously recover is kind of strange; unless she got into some rat poison or something. 

I would still keep a close eye on her; and if she seems to not be completely normal, then I would find another Vet and have then do a full evaluation of her...

Thanks for taking care of her...

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its def not rat poisoning, but we live in apts, my neighbor has been leaving gasoline in his garage downstairs.. And the smell gets into the house in the middle of the night. Do you think that's what might of caused it? We already let the manager know. Not sure if he's taking care of it though.
And I'm keeping an eye on her, she's been really hyper today.

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll be taking her to another vet tomorrow or the day after just in case.