I need help with my cat!

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted Kiara about 3 years ago. She's been rehomed about 3 times at least, as far as I know.
Problem with this cat is she pees on the bed, on the couch, etc. I became an expert eliminating urine smells. I have to change sheets almost daily. I cover the bed with plastic and she finds the 2 millimeters where is not covered and pees in there.
I already took her to the vet, she doesn't have health issues.
My mom has been diagnosed now with dementia, I work full time and take care of everything by myself.
I don't want to give up on Kiara, but I don't know what else to do! i have 3 litter boxes, all my other 2 cats use them, no problem. Kiara uses it when you're watching. Even my stray cat uses a litter box! Kiara's about 15 y/o pretty healthy according to the vet. Sometimes I want to put her to sleep or to give her away, then I feel bad because of that. I don't know what else to do! Help please!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is spayed it may be because of the other cats. You can test it by thoroughly cleaning a box put her in your bedroom then see if she uses it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does Kiara use the litter box to poop?

If this has been going on for the full time you have had Kiara, it will be extra difficult to reverse the behavior. Just because your other cats seem to like the litter box set up doesn't automatically mean that Kiara does, so that might be the place to start. Since she uses it while you watch her, it means she knows that is where she should go, but really doesn't want to. So, when you are not around, she is going to go where she prefers.

There are a whole host of possibilities - some cats like to have clean litter boxes to go in, which in your case might be a bit hard because you have other cats. Some other cats don't want to use the same box to pee and poop in. Some cats don't like certain litters, or litter at all. If there is a place in your home where you can introduce a box strictly for Kiara, I would start there. You might also consider a litter box with washable rags or puppy pee pads in it to see if she would use it with no litter. Trying different litters might be something to try as well.

If your cats are microchipped, you can also use her microchip to program a cat door., installed in one of your rooms with a door, to open only for Kiara and start working with her to 'teach' her that she has a litter box in that room that no one else can use.

When you are away from the home, you can also enclose her in a bathroom or another room - with all of her amenities - so she is confined there with a litter box or two within site, and perhaps that would help encourage her to use them. If your room would be the most appropriate one, then buy a tarp that actually covers the entire bed - one big enough that you can tuck in the edges so she can't crawl underneath it.

Just in case there are any other tips/ideas for you to consider, I included a few TCS article links below for you to read.
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know – TheCatSite Articles
The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your advises. Kiara is mainly my mom’s cat, spends most of her time with her, therefore she pees on her bed mostly. Couches not that often, I usually have them covered with plastic, if I don’t she goes there. I bought an electric litter box to keep the litter box clean. It worked for a while, and then she only used it when we were watching her. My mom’s bed is the one that I had to change sheets daily (mattress has a plastic protector, then a water proof mattress protector).
When I read about placing a thoroughly cleaned litter box in my mom’s room just for Kiara, I did it right away, but still relentlessly that it would do anything. So far 2 days, no pee on the bed. I’m crossing my fingers. I will check all the advises and try whatever I can try. No microchip though, I live in a rented apartment so I can’t modify doors. Thank you again for your avises, I really hope this keeps working.

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she is spayed it may be because of the other cats. You can test it by thoroughly cleaning a box put her in your bedroom then see if she uses it
It was good while it last, almost 2 weeks. Thank you.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you have been dealing with this for so long. It's so hard:(

What is your home like? Since the urinating has been going on for so long, it might be time to try confinement. Have you ever tried keeping Kiara in a room or bathroom for an extended period of time? Does she ever urinate in her litter boxes?

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom:(

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible the litter robot may be spooking her, could you try a hooded box or a dish pan style one? Just regular box not a litter robot.

It's rare, but they can malfunction and go off when the cat is using it. Or the noise might just be too much for her.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she had full bloodwork and urinealysis done recently (ie in the past 4 months)? If not I would have it done asap to ensure she has no other health issues like CKD or diabetes that could be the reason she's peeing outside the litter box. Given her age, I would suspect she does have CKD. Is she on anything for arthritis? Because she has dementia I would add extra litter boxes. She could just be forgetting where they are. Super seniors can have issues holding their bladders as well so more litter boxes will help. Be sure they are all uncovered, and low entry. I would use soft litter only and scoop at least once daily.

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you have been dealing with this for so long. It's so hard:(

What is your home like? Since the urinating has been going on for so long, it might be time to try confinement. Have you ever tried keeping Kiara in a room or bathroom for an extended period of time? Does she ever urinate in her litter boxes?

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom:(
I have a two bedroom apartment. Never left her confined. If I do it and she cries, my mom would get upset.
She urinates in her litter box if we're watching her.

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's possible the litter robot may be spooking her, could you try a hooded box or a dish pan style one? Just regular box not a litter robot.

It's rare, but they can malfunction and go off when the cat is using it. Or the noise might just be too much for her.
Actually, she didn't mind the litter maid, she used to go then out to wait for the cleaning. We removed it because she began peeing in the edge and it went to the floor, so it ended up more work for me.

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has she had full bloodwork and urinealysis done recently (ie in the past 4 months)? If not I would have it done asap to ensure she has no other health issues like CKD or diabetes that could be the reason she's peeing outside the litter box. Given her age, I would suspect she does have CKD. Is she on anything for arthritis? Because she has dementia I would add extra litter boxes. She could just be forgetting where they are. Super seniors can have issues holding their bladders as well so more litter boxes will help. Be sure they are all uncovered, and low entry. I would use soft litter only and scoop at least once daily.
Yes to blood work and urinalysis, clean bill of health. She pees in her litter box, but when she's been watched, or bed is covered with a thick plastic.

sunny578

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a two bedroom apartment. Never left her confined. If I do it and she cries, my mom would get upset.
She urinates in her litter box if we're watching her.
Ok, that's interesting that she goes in her box when you are watching her!

Usually when you have a cat who has been going outside of the box for this long, some kind of retraining is necessary. Confinement can be super helpful with this. It can get your cat back in the habit of using her box, and can help a cat reclaim a territory as her own, especially in a multicat household. My cat urinated outside of box for a very very long time, and temporary confinement was the only thing that got her back to using her box.

If you don't want to try this though, I would reconsider your litter box set up. I would make sure you have at least 4 litter boxes. Are all the litter boxes in the same location right now? It sounds like Kiara can still jump on beds and couches. Are there other high up places that she can jump to? Do you have cat trees? Any litter boxes in the bedroom by the beds, or by the couch that she urinates on? Scratching posts? It sounds like Kiara might be trying to spread her scent, and scratching is another way to do this.

Please keep us posted!

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, that's interesting that she goes in her box when you are watching her!

Usually when you have a cat who has been going outside of the box for this long, some kind of retraining is necessary. Confinement can be super helpful with this. It can get your cat back in the habit of using her box, and can help a cat reclaim a territory as her own, especially in a multicat household. My cat urinated outside of box for a very very long time, and temporary confinement was the only thing that got her back to using her box.

If you don't want to try this though, I would reconsider your litter box set up. I would make sure you have at least 4 litter boxes. Are all the litter boxes in the same location right now? It sounds like Kiara can still jump on beds and couches. Are there other high up places that she can jump to? Do you have cat trees? Any litter boxes in the bedroom by the beds, or by the couch that she urinates on? Scratching posts? It sounds like Kiara might be trying to spread her scent, and scratching is another way to do this.

Please keep us posted!
I have 4 boxes, one in my bathroom, that Ginni uses at night cause she sleeps with me and I close my door. One in my mom’s room, mainly for Kiara one in the living room and one in the hallway between my mom’s and my room. I do have a cat tree (with scratching post) that is used by whomever decides to use it. I have a cat door (in my front window) that Yogui and Negrita use to go outside to the trees on the back on my building.
maybe I should get another scratch post for my mom’s room?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted Kiara about 3 years ago. She's been rehomed about 3 times at least, as far as I know.
Problem with this cat is she pees on the bed, on the couch, etc. I became an expert eliminating urine smells. I have to change sheets almost daily. I cover the bed with plastic and she finds the 2 millimeters where is not covered and pees in there.
I already took her to the vet, she doesn't have health issues.
My mom has been diagnosed now with dementia, I work full time and take care of everything by myself.
I don't want to give up on Kiara, but I don't know what else to do! i have 3 litter boxes, all my other 2 cats use them, no problem. Kiara uses it when you're watching. Even my stray cat uses a litter box! Kiara's about 15 y/o pretty healthy according to the vet. Sometimes I want to put her to sleep or to give her away, then I feel bad because of that. I don't know what else to do! Help please!
Try putting large wee pads on the bed and everywhere she pees, that way you can toss them when she does it, no clean up. Has she had a health check to check for uti, and other possible health issue causes? A lot of people say feliway helps this and meds like elavil can help too.

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What happening here is one of your cats basic need are not being met.
The top three basic needs:

1: food
2: litter
3: territory

This creates insecurity in your cat and as a result get displayed visually as either a stress related behaviour, peeing pooping, scratching furniture or as an agressive behaviour, anything from scratching, biting etc, depending on the temperment of your cat.

In your particular case, i would hazard as guess that your cat is marking territory, she feels is hers and is constantly being contested by a foreign smell, be it a detergent, cleaner or the like.

In the cats mind, if this area smells like me, then i will be assured and not be on heightened alert 'stressed'.

What you have being doing with the cleaner, is creating a battle of wills, and your cat will keep remarking.

The fix is to place rugs or blankets that she rest on in those areas, so in her mind, there is no foreign smell, and be very particular about household products you use, also possibly putting a scratching post in those areas, might alter the cats habit from inopp elimination, to scratching, as a means of marking her territory.

An alternative is to use smells that your cat dislikes, to deter her from venturing those areas, but be warned, that the cat may very well pick up the behaviour in another spot.

In some cases, it can be adding extra litter boxes in those said places. But this conclusion can only be derived from watching your cat

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The cat is peeing on your mother’s bed. One reason could be is because she’s feeling insecure. She might be saying “I belong here too, but something is making me feel like I really don’t.” It could be the result of your mother’s dementia. It might help if you spend time with your mother encouraging her to pay more attention to her furry companion, maybe even playing with her using a wand toy. I don’t know if this is possible in your situation, but the stimulation might help your mother.

The cat is fifteen years old. The onset of medical conditions, such as arthritis and cat dementia, is possible.

Other things to try- a litterbox with lower sides so it’s easier for kitty to get in and out of. Trying softer litter- do this by mixing a little of the new litter with the old and increasing the mix ratio over time and observe what happen. Change depth of litter. Some cats don’t like a thick layer of litter. No covers, no pan liners. Try a larger litterbox.

Two weeks and no “accidents”! Congrats! You’re doing it right!

sunny578

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 4 boxes, one in my bathroom, that Ginni uses at night cause she sleeps with me and I close my door. One in my mom’s room, mainly for Kiara one in the living room and one in the hallway between my mom’s and my room. I do have a cat tree (with scratching post) that is used by whomever decides to use it. I have a cat door (in my front window) that Yogui and Negrita use to go outside to the trees on the back on my building.
maybe I should get another scratch post for my mom’s room?
That does sound like a good litter box set up!

You mentioned that when you are watching Kiara, she urinates in her box. Wondering if you might be able to do partial confinement? Like, maybe you confine her to a smaller space with a litter box when you aren't able to watch her? This would be a temporary practice that, once she stopped urinating illegal, you could stop.

While it might have been a specific problem that led Kiara out of the litter box at first (either a health issue or some change to her environment that brought out some anxiety), with some cats, even after you fix whatever caused the initial incident, urinating outside of the box can become a habit, especially if it continues for as long as it has continued with Kiara. This is where temporarily confinement becomes helpful/necessary. It can help a cat build better habits. The more a cat urinates outside of her box, the more likely she is to urinate outside of her box, and the more a cat urinates in her litter box, the more likely she is to urinate in her litter box.

If you want to talk out your options, let me know! My cat was in a very very bad place (ie she hadn't urinated in a litter box at all in over a year) and the only way for me to get her back to urinating in a litter box was to confine her to a crate for about a week and then slowly let her have access to more and more of the house each day. Since Kiara is sometimes urinating in her box though, I don't think it would take anything quite as extreme. Maybe having your bathroom be the place where you put Kiara when you aren't able to watch her would work, or perhaps setting up your mother's bedroom in a way that discourages her from urinating on the bed and closing Kiara in there when you can't keep an eye on her, like at night.

Let me know what you think!!

Last edited: