I need a good water fountain!

Rangga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve been looking for a good water fountain I can get for my 4 year old tabby, but I’m not sure which one is good and which one is bad. My must have in a water fountain is a filter and something that won’t produce slime. Anyone knows of any good water fountain for my cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rangga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have used Drinkwell products for years in various styles and all have been reliable.
I’ve seen those everywhere but worry because it’s plastic, how’s the filter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rangga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have read to avoid plastic fountains and to use stainless steel or ceramic. I've been looking as well. Maybe try amazon or chewy!
On amazon most of them are plastic base even the more popular ones so I’m not sure about it.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Drinkwell Platinum fountain, and I love it. It is plastic, but it has a filter, and it doesn't get slimy. The filters are not expensive and it has a reservoir that keeps the drinking pool full. It's easy to clean, but you do need the brush kit sold separately. I change the filter every other time I fill the reservoir, which lasts several weeks.

Drinkwell® Platinum® Pet Fountain PWW00-13703 | Product Support | PetSafe

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been using this fountain by Wonder Creature since October, I believe. So far it's held up just fine. I haven't had any problems with slime or mold, but I clean it every week to every two weeks. It has a smart motor that will automatically shut off if the water is too low to prevent burn out. The boys don't drink out of it any more than they drank out of their bowls, but it's nice not having to change the water constantly because one little floaty dared grace the water's surface.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I use the stainless steel fountains, but have used the plastic ones as well. They are easy to clean and maintain. The plastic ones are supposedly BPA free, but that does open up that new discussion about the fact that the BPA substitute is just as bad for you.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really like that one as well but the no filter part just seems that it will get dirty fast
I've had mine for a year now and it really doesn't seem to get dirty, or slimy. I empty it and clean it out every 10 days or so. This includes taking the pump apart and cleaning that as well . All three of my cats use it all the time :)

The only thing I would say is that a little bit of the ceramic is sharp when washing it out, but nowhere the cats can get to - sort of where the towers sit. Just need to watch fingers...

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use these, plastic but I don't have any problem with them. It's strange to see how different cats drink from different places. One cat will only drink from the top pool, one cat will only drink from the waterfall. People complain about pumps stopping working if you have hard water, but I simply take them apart once a week for a good wash and have never had issues with them. A ten pack of filters are around $10.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've gone through 2 Catits in the past and won't buy them anymore. Both died on me within a year. I have a Drinkwell Platinum now that I've been using about 5 years. It's plastic and doesn't get slimy, however it does have some etching or hard water marks on the pool area now that make me paranoid about bacteria. I'll likely be looking at a stainless steel option in the near future.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've gone through 2 Catits in the past and won't buy them anymore. Both died on me within a year. I have a Drinkwell Platinum now that I've been using about 5 years. It's plastic and doesn't get slimy, however it does have some etching or hard water marks on the pool area now that make me paranoid about bacteria. I'll likely be looking at a stainless steel option in the near future.
Try washing it with vinegar. The acid in vinegar will dissolve the hard water marks. It's not toxic and will flush away easily.

lucky luc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pionner pet fountain, have it for 5 years and still work fine