I need a good water fountain!

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
We have about 10 fountains (including a few Drinkwells), and of course a handful from the past that have now moved onto Drinking Fountain Heaven.

However, this one is my favorite -
Ceramic, filter, 3 different ways for kitties to drink out of it, easy to clean, silent, $60, and looks nice.

Our second favorite is actually plastic that looks a little bit like the one above... but we admittedly love it in large part because of the blue LED light 😂

In my experience, all fountains get slimy eventually. It might be better to clarify how often it would need to be cleaned, but you should clean them pretty frequently regardless.

Distilled/purified/filtered/soft water all help with buildup.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had several. I had an awful plastic one years ago and gave up on them. Then I got a drinkwell pagoda ceramic fountain for Sybil which was very good. I had to use it without their filter though or there was slime build up quickly. I cleaned it every week always filling with filtered water. Everything was soaked for 15 minutes in 50/50 hot water vinegar when cleaning. I had 3 for her an Quinn at one point, another ceramic one with no filter which was pretty good, and a stainless one which was so so. Syb passed in May 2018 and eventually I stopped using 2 and then the pagoda because Quinn never uses it. He is happy with a fresh glass of water each day.

I am wondering if when Merlin is fully integrated into the house if I will need to set up the pagoda again. He is happy with his special water dish for dogs with long ears which which can’t be tipped over. The stainless insert is washed and filled with fresh filtered water every day.

Syb had crf so dvm recommended a fountain and she absolutely loved it.

This is the other ceramic one, they have an elaborate one with water bottles as well.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

Dearjujubebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am using a ceramic water fountain for my kitten. I purchase it from iPettie. The fountain comes with filters (carbon and foam filters) and two pumps. Since buying this fountain, my kitten loves to drink water. I am so happy with it.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 original drinkwell fountains. I do not use the filters. I don’t have a problem with them getting slimy. But I do empty, rinse and refill them daily and once weekly I take apart and scrub and clean all parts and motor.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used MANY, and the only advise I have is to see how hard it is to get them apart to clean them. Those little holes, etc, are a pain to clean if you need tiny pipecleaners, etc. All water will get slimy after a while, the fountains need to be cleaned out every ten days or so. I use RO water and a good tartar elminating water additive to clean their teeth and that really helps.

Furbabies87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been looking for a good water fountain I can get for my 4 year old tabby, but I’m not sure which one is good and which one is bad. My must have in a water fountain is a filter and something that won’t produce slime. Anyone knows of any good water fountain for my cat?
Ceramic is way to go. Before we had a plastic fountain but cats immediately showed signs allergic to the plastic. PetSafe Drinkwell Avalon Pet Water Fountain, Ceramic Drinking Fountain for Cats and Dogs, 70 oz.

All my love it. Has a charcoal water filter and sponge like filter around the pump that must be periodically replaced. About $85 .

Furbabies87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been looking for a good water fountain I can get for my 4 year old tabby, but I’m not sure which one is good and which one is bad. My must have in a water fountain is a filter and something that won’t produce slime. Anyone knows of any good water fountain for my cat?
Ceramic is way to go. Before we had a plastic fountain but cats immediately showed signs allergic to the plastic. PetSafe Drinkwell Avalon Pet Water Fountain, Ceramic Drinking Fountain for Cats and Dogs, 70 oz.

All my love it. Has a charcoal water filter and sponge like filter around the pump that must be periodically replaced. About $85 .

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

So agree! My elevated ceramic bowl does not get slimy! Luckily it's big. I forget to clean it

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have the pioneer pet stainless steel fountain. It has replaceable charcoal filters.

We replace the water daily and the filter every 6 weeks or so. The water never gets slimey.

I disassemble the pump, clean it out and put everything else in the dishwasher.

Had it a couple of years or more, with no problems. Runs 24/7

The only issue is the standard size is a bit small for the greg and arnolds faces to comfortably access the water. I want to replace it with the larger model.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had mine for a year now and it really doesn't seem to get dirty, or slimy. I empty it and clean it out every 10 days or so. This includes taking the pump apart and cleaning that as well . All three of my cats use it all the time :)

The only thing I would say is that a little bit of the ceramic is sharp when washing it out, but nowhere the cats can get to - sort of where the towers sit. Just need to watch fingers...
I followed your link and really love this fountain. Gypsy drinks very well out of her Correlle ceramic bowls but she is fascinated by running water although she's never tried to drink it. Scott had just mentioned yesterday we should maybe look into a fountain for her. I knew there were many suggestions on the site and had noticed this thread. Lo and behold the first place I went (here) there was a fabulous one. I found several ceramic ones on Amazon, most smaller some cheaper most with filters. I think Gypsy would be intrigued and stimulated by the various levels and spouts of the one you posted and I love the cobalt blue.
We would be using boiled water and I like the idea of no filter.
Do you put yours in the dishwasher?
I'd love to see photos of your kittys using it. Thanks

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I use these, plastic but I don't have any problem with them. It's strange to see how different cats drink from different places. One cat will only drink from the top pool, one cat will only drink from the waterfall. People complain about pumps stopping working if you have hard water, but I simply take them apart once a week for a good wash and have never had issues with them. A ten pack of filters are around $10.
I like the different levels.

Podoko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got this one for my cats for christmas. I was really wanting ceramic because the water here is a bit mineral laden and it built up in their sitting stainless steal. It is super quiet without a loud dripping noise but if you fill the bowl all the way the flow has to be turned as low as possible, otherwise since the water flows down towards the edge it will spill on the floor.

Both of my cats prefer it, and my one sticks his foot in the water less because he can tell the water is moving. He has also almost completely stopped begging for water in the bathroom sink, which was really annoying. $40 is pretty cheap for ceramic as well.

Pioneer Pet Raindrop Ceramic Drinking Fountain, White - Chewy.com

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Tip.

Some of these fountains are quite expensive. The small (60 oz) version of the pioneer pet stainless steel fountain sells for about $85 Canadian with taxes. I just paid $30 canadian for a very lightly used one with two extra filters.

Often pet fountains can be purchased privately from people whose pets wont use the fountain. Just remember to buy ceramic or stainless steel so it can be properly washed and sanitized, disassemble the pump and clean it and put in a new filter.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just bought the DOGNESS cat fountain foe my cat, and use it on the lowest setting. She seems to like it a lot, and its pretty quiet on low. I use filtered water in it, and tend to change the water and rinse off the filter, wash the fountain every 2-3 days to keep it really fresh because my xat can drop bits of foos in there. It is easy to wash!