I may finally have caught Covid

purrs123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The rapid antigen tests ("RAT" at home tests) are very inaccurate. They have been coming back negative until the person has been sick with covid for at least 3 days. And even after that they are still only about 60% accurate.
Hang in there, you hopefully will start to feel better soon. And Deb, too.
Both of my elderly parents just came down with covid in the past few days. My mom is in the hospital but expected to be OK. I was at their house a few days before they started showing symptoms. So, now I'm worried I was exposed. We were all wearing masks and I was constantly sanitizing my hands, so I'm really hopeful that I didn't get it. But only time will tell...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
The rapid antigen tests ("RAT" at home tests) are very inaccurate. They have been coming back negative until the person has been sick with covid for at least 3 days. And even after that they are still only about 60% accurate.
Hang in there, you hopefully will start to feel better soon. And Deb, too.
Both of my elderly parents just came down with covid in the past few days. My mom is in the hospital but expected to be OK. I was at their house a few days before they started showing symptoms. So, now I'm worried I was exposed. We were all wearing masks and I was constantly sanitizing my hands, so I'm really hopeful that I didn't get it. But only time will tell...
Today was the third day Deb used the at home test and she finally tested positive but has been unwell for a few days like you said. We expected she would get it, so no big surprise there.

I am feeling better each day, today am blowing out some colored and bloody mucus and my ears are opening up, so in the past with sinus infections this stage means things are breaking up. But the worst part is the fatigue, you feel like you weigh 900 pounds and have no energy, but that will improve with time I hope.

I also got a call from the PA. Health Department, evidently anyone who tests positive gets reported to them, they talked to me about isolating and wearing a mask when I go back to work etc. which I already knew, and they emailed me a questionaire to fill out, so now Big Brother is onto me lol!

I hope your parents are well soon and that you don't catch it!!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Today was the third day Deb used the at home test and she finally tested positive but has been unwell for a few days like you said. We expected she would get it, so no big surprise there.
I'm sorry Deb tested positive for Covid but hope she doesn't have too many side effects and recuperates soon. 🤗

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The antigen tests aren't the best for anything, that is the quick test in the doctor's office for strep throat. It takes a while for enough antibodies to build up to test positive. They are good as far as differentiating COVID from another virus but really if you are sick then you should stay home if at all possible. All of this crud is contagious and some people are vulnerable to getting really sick with any of these viruses.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't even change around today, I figured I wasn't going to be going anywhere and needed to rest so I did just that. Deb showered and got dressed but she's always been like that, whenever she is sick she HAS to still get dressed lol! I'm sure it's a good idea, but I just feel wiped out, every little thing seems like a HUGE hill to climb, the smallest task takes it out of you!

Like I read, this is not something that you can "will power" your way through it and "push" through, it'll just set you back longer, this is rough!!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Like I read, this is not something that you can "will power" your way through it and "push" through, it'll just set you back longer, this is rough!!
This is so wise. Listen to your body. You want to recuperate in a really positive and beneficial way. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so wise. Listen to your body. You want to recuperate in a really positive and beneficial way. :vibes::vibes::vibes:
I am staring at the huge pile of leaves on our front yard from a huge Maple tree, the other night Deb raked some of them into the curb as our Borough comes around and sucks them up every so often, this was before she felt sick. I am contemplating going out there and raking them and pacing myself, I don't know if that is a wise decision or not, I do feel better, no fever, a LOT less mucus and congestion, they only pick them up for a short while, but I am wondering if that would set me back? I'm thinking if I went slow, then came right in and used my nasal rinse, showered and rested would I be okay? I'm not set to try to go back to work until Thursday morning, I don't know about this though...

But it's a good sign that I see these things and WANT to do them, definitely getting better but don't want to get a setback, but I'm thinking I won't if I go slowly??? Ugh, this stinks....

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think going outside into the fresh air is a great idea.. lots of deep breaths. If you feel up to raking them then do. It's more the moment you feel even the tiniest bit tired or ill, you stop. :)

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I think going outside into the fresh air is a great idea.. lots of deep breaths. If you feel up to raking them then do. It's more the moment you feel even the tiniest bit tired or ill, you stop. :)
I called and talked to the CRNP that saw me, she's more attentive than a doctor but even though she isn't one I still call her "Dr.", explained it to her, told her the fever is gone for now, still dealing with some coughing and expelling mucus but 99% of it is clear liquid, told her the story and she said the same thing, thinks it would be good to get some air and take some "deep breaths" but I said I was concerned about the mold, should I wear a mask? She said that is not a bad idea but would be concerned about becoming short of breath with it on, so in awhile I'll give it a try I guess. I also asked if I still feel like I do right now on Thursday is it okay to go back to work and she said the cough and other things can last for a week or longer even though you are over the worst of it. I guess as long as there is no fever.

I always get like this when I am sick, a bit "leery" and not wanting to push it too early and relapse, especially with this being Covid, so many unknowns with it, but then again it is a virus, and it is not nearly as deadly as it was 2 years ago. But still....

And when I was younger I would get scolded because I WOULD push it and do things before I was well enough to!

Thank you!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I was outside and raked a LOT and started to sweat pretty good so I knew it was best to head in soon and take a shower. My one neighbor of course starts to come over and talk to me and before she got real close I said "don't get too close, Deb & I have the plague" which stopped her in her tracks but she was really far away so that was good. Then my other neighbor who is a real dingbat comes barreling over, I tell him the exact same thing and he says "oh, I don't give a **** about that, I had a vaccine shot" and of course I said "yeah well, I had 3 shots and I still got it". Then he said something else stupid and walked away, I just looked at my other neighbor and said "he's nuts", she just shook her head, so I did a little more work and came in. It's people like him with stupid attitudes that keep this virus going....

But it was really good to get out there and do something, plus it doesn't drive me crazy staring at all of those leaves out there wondering when I can get them picked up lol! I called and left a message and the woman called me back and told Deb they'll be by Thursday morning, we live on a very busy road and I swear some people drive by fast on purpose just to blow them around, so if they can get them it would be great! But so far I feel okay, it was good to get moving again! Plus I went for a ride before that.

purrs123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's people like him with stupid attitudes that keep this virus going....
Exactly. So frustrating. I have to keep reminding myself that half the human population has below average intelligence. And that we are not evolved to deal with a microscopic invisible undetectable threat. I have to keep reminding myself. Or else the rage takes over. :gaah:

I'm glad you were feeling well enough to get the yard work done. That always makes me feel better, too.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you are feeling better. As to all those leaves, have you tried running over them with the mower. If I were to rake I would have about 50 bags full. Even if they are a foot think the mower will still chop them up but if I do it a couple times they disappear. Takes a lot less energy than raking and bagging as well.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you are feeling better. As to all those leaves, have you tried running over them with the mower. If I were to rake I would have about 50 bags full. Even if they are a foot think the mower will still chop them up but if I do it a couple times they disappear. Takes a lot less energy than raking and bagging as well.
It's actually easier for me to rake them from the front yard out into the street to be picked up by the Borough and their machine, it's not far at all. I will use the mower when there aren't many leaves left, but if I use it on a lot of them it actually makes me worse since it chops up the leaves (and mold) into smaller pieces and I breath them in, and I can't wear a mask as it fogs up my work glasses so I can't see lol!

But if they didn't pick them up I'd have 50 bags like you said, I USED to bag them and drive them up to the compost site but this is much easier.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Now Deb says that she can't smell anything, I tried Vinegar, mouthwash and she tried a few other things but said she smells nothing, BUT she is really blocked up and that can do it too. She put Vicks under her nose but that expired in April. And when I mentioned at the doctor's place Friday that I didn't lose taste or smell she said "that was with the old Covid, this one doesn't do that". Deb said "maybe I have the old one?" but I doubt it, I am thinking and hoping it is just being blocked up.

I'm sweating again but my temp is 98.7, very strange stuff....

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Be patient, you did a lot of raking today and maybe your body is trying to tell you to take it easy tomorrow. As for Deb, I agree if she is blocked up that's probably the reason for her lack of smell. I hope the virus will run it's course and you'll both be back to your normal routines soon. :rbheart:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Be patient, you did a lot of raking today and maybe your body is trying to tell you to take it easy tomorrow. As for Deb, I agree if she is blocked up that's probably the reason for her lack of smell. I hope the virus will run it's course and you'll both be back to your normal routines soon. :rbheart:
She can smell and taste again thank God! Me, I'm the same, sweating just doing nothing yet my temp is only 98.7, very strange.

This should be interesting to see how I do at work tomorrow....

I am struggling with this mentally, I know things happen but I have been struggling mentally these last few months dealing with my parents, now this. I know I did what I had to do for them and they are 100 times better where they are now, I just hope that Deb and I can get better and move on from this, I know it takes time and we are feeling somewhat better but I really need something good to happen to us to restore my faith about things...I'm feeling down about things right now.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: At this time we all probably know more people who have had it than not (even if they aren’t comfortable admitting it) and they probably were just living life too. Catching it doesn’t mean you were irresponsible or anything any more than if you got the flu, a cold or any other virus. Personally I think one of the best things we can do for ourselves both physically and mentally is to be sensible but realize what’s beyond our control and let that go. Sometimes thats a minute by minute conscious decision. :hugs:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of us may have had it and not even know that we had it. This virus affects people very differently, even the original virus that put many people in the ICU affected people differently. Some people only have a few very mild symptoms and they dismissed them because they didn't think it was COVID because they didn't get very sick with it.