I may finally have caught Covid

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been fine all the time until Wednesday morning, I started with a lot of postnasal drip and coughing then fever and body aches and fatigue. I have been run down lately mentally from taking care of my elderly parents, getting them into short term rehab and then into assisted living which wore on me, but I reffed two soccer games, one Sunday morning since I was at a game where the ref didn't show and then again Tuesday evening and it was damp and wet out, the leaves are down and the mold is high and the next day I started with these symptoms. I called off from work yesterday and today, did an at home test yesterday morning which was negative but Deb said I should do one today too and it read psositive, so I went to an urgent care clinic and the doctor was very good, patient, took her time with me, they did a test but it is the one that they send out which she said it's more accurate, said sometimes the at home ones were stored in heat or cold so she did this and said I'll know the results in a day or two, but she said based on my symptoms she thinks I do have it. I had 3 shots, she said I'm run down but should start feeling better in a few days but I need to rest, so she said if I am positive I won't be able to go back to work until Thursday so we'll see. Listened to my lungs and said they sound "great", I said I still have sense of tatse and smell but she said these new variants are more in the sinus area, but with rest and lots of liquids she says I should kick it soon. I'm surprised that I didn't get sick sooner, being so emotionally upset and drained with dealing with my parents, but we think running around physically at soccer did me in. I just hope that Deb doesn't get it if I do have it, but she wasn't running around wet fields like I was lol!!

Great.....

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even if it is COVID at least here it seems to be staying out of the lungs, more the bad cold stuff. I think most of us are going to get it at some point. It is more contagious but a much milder illness than the original virus.

purrs123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope you get better soon. I recently had what I believe to be covid. Watch your pets. I have two cats and a small dog and they all were showing symptoms at the same time that I was sick. My dog had a bad cough for a couple of days and then was fine. My one cat Hazel had several coughing bouts for a couple of days and then was fine. My other cat Ruby sneezed a few times for a couple of days and then was fine.

Take care of yourself. It's been over a month and a half since I got sick and I'm stilling having chills and worsened shortness of breath, and crampy muscles. (I'm chronically ill with multiple high risk factors and immunocompromised, also am vaxxed but not yet boosted) I really hope this isn't long covid...

Get well soon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
What is really strange is whenever I sleep and get up I feel worse for some reason, I thought sleep and rest are supposed to help it? I just took a nap for about 1 hour and 15 miuntes and got up, feel like I am burning up, took my temp with our old Mercury thermometer and it was 102, the highest it has been yet! I don't know how accurate it is, their thermometers this morning said I was 99.0 and 99.2 so who knows. But I think I am going to break down and take some Motrin like the doctor said, I am usually a firm believer that "fever is your friend" and helps kill things off, but I am way too uncomfortable like this....

purrs123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is really strange is whenever I sleep and get up I feel worse for some reason, I thought sleep and rest are supposed to help it? I just took a nap for about 1 hour and 15 miuntes and got up, feel like I am burning up, took my temp with our old Mercury thermometer and it was 102, the highest it has been yet! I don't know how accurate it is, their thermometers this morning said I was 99.0 and 99.2 so who knows. But I think I am going to break down and take some Motrin like the doctor said, I am usually a firm believer that "fever is your friend" and helps kill things off, but I am way too uncomfortable like this....
Yes, I would take something for the fever. I personally take tylenol, but whatever works for you. Remember to drink extra fluids. Fevers go up and down. I would trust an old mercury thermometer more than a new digital one. You probably felt worse after the nap simply because the virus is progressing and you just happened to be napping while it happened. But, I do sometimes feel worse after naps (when I'm not sick) and I haven't figured out why.
Good luck and I hope you get over this quick.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would take something for the fever. I personally take tylenol, but whatever works for you. Remember to drink extra fluids. Fevers go up and down. I would trust an old mercury thermometer more than a new digital one. You probably felt worse after the nap simply because the virus is progressing and you just happened to be napping while it happened. But, I do sometimes feel worse after naps (when I'm not sick) and I haven't figured out why.
Good luck and I hope you get over this quick.
I took a Motrin that they gave me samples of, Deb said maybe I should take two right off the bat so I did, now I'm sweating as it is trying to break the fever down.

This is lousy, just feel lousy right now....

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I also told the doctor that I use a CPAP machine so I shouldn't be breathing any germs out in the air in bed for Deb and she said that's good, just keep it clean so I don't reinfect myself and I do clean it so that should help her.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't get a call yet today with the results but I did an at home test again this morning and it was positive so I am pretty sure that I have it. Deb isn't feeling well now, but her test was negative so we'll do it again tomorrow morning.

I took 2 Motrin last night and sweated some of it out, didn't want to go too crazy and get worse, but I slept much better last night. Took my temp this morning and it was 98 so I didn't take anything for it, took it a bit ago and it was 99.7 but I'll let it go unless it gets worse and makes me feel bad again. It feels like a sinus infection kind of thing that we usually get around this time of year, very runny nose then stuffy, some coughing but not really from the lungs, more from the throat area, but it is still miserable, but it's only been a few days, I guess that's why they make you stay home for 5 days since it probably takes that long to get over it or at least feel better.

Ugh.....☹

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you're going through this but fingers crossed your fever will break and the sweating episodes too. :crossfingers: I just hope your wife, Deb, doesn't get it. 🤗 I'm surprised the doctor didn't tell you to sleep in separate rooms. I'm guessing if you haven't heard back from the doctor with your results today you probably won't know anything definitive until Monday. But since you've done several of the at-home tests and they've all been positive I'm guessing you probably do have Covid.

I agree with purrs123 purrs123 to drink plenty of fluids since it will help flush out your system. Everyone responds differently to Covid. So many people I've talked to had various symptoms and some got over it sooner than others. My husband's aunt who is 96 or 97 got it and has long hauler's syndrome. Otherwise, she's fine for her age. Which brings me to your elderly parents. I can completely empathize since I went through something similar with both of mine. It's very stressful and unfortunately can wear you out since it's physically and mentally draining. I sincerely hope you turn the corner and feel better soon. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you're going through this but fingers crossed your fever will break and the sweating episodes too. :crossfingers: I just hope your wife, Deb, doesn't get it. 🤗 I'm surprised the doctor didn't tell you to sleep in separate rooms. I'm guessing if you haven't heard back from the doctor with your results today you probably won't know anything definitive until Monday. But since you've done several of the at-home tests and they've all been positive I'm guessing you probably do have Covid.

I agree with purrs123 purrs123 to drink plenty of fluids since it will help flush out your system. Everyone responds differently to Covid. So many people I've talked to had various symptoms and some got over it sooner than others. My husband's aunt who is 96 or 97 got it and has long hauler's syndrome. Otherwise, she's fine for her age. Which brings me to your elderly parents. I can completely empathize since I went through something similar with both of mine. It's very stressful and unfortunately can wear you out since it's physically and mentally draining. I sincerely hope you turn the corner and feel better soon. :vibes::vibes::vibes:
Doc did say to try to isolate as much as I can which I have been trying to do but we live in a small Cape Cod, not much room to hide lol!

And she did say about sleeping but I told her I wear a CPAP mask so I'm not breathing out much air and she said "that's good, just keep it clean", and I just washed the whole thing this morning.

She said I would know by Sunday at the latest so I'll see if they call, they are closed now but are open tomorrow 9-6.

Thank you, this is weird....but it mostly feels like a sinus thing, sometimes runny nose, then blocked, coughing up some sputum but from the throat area not the lungs.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you, this is weird....but it mostly feels like a sinus thing, sometimes runny nose, then blocked, coughing up some sputum but from the throat area not the lungs.
That is what I have heard that it is like now with Omicron. It's like a bad cold the only difference is the fever, colds usually don't include a fever. In time that will probably also drop off. Two of the viruses that cause what we think of as a common cold are coronaviruses. In time this will be a third.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad you are keeping an eye on your temperature and definitely take something if it gets too high. 102 F, that's quite high in an adult. Stay hydrated. Coughing is your friend, unless it's too the point where you break a rib. (That really does happen.) Report changes in color of sputum to your doctor or for fever you are unable to reduce. Any doubts, in fact, call your doctor or seek medical attention. Remember to buy a new toothbrush when you feel better. (I caught the flu back to back and it probably came from not throwing out my lip gloss or something - I don't know how long viruses live on some surfaces.) I'm not allowed to give medical advice, so these are just random suggestions from someone who hopes you feel better soon. :hugs: I apologize to anyone who has already given any of the same advice. I am reading quickly since there is a guest on the way.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got a call and an email from the doctor, the results are positive which I pretty much figured but at least now I know. So far Deb has tested negative with the at home tests but she has similar symptoms but not quite like mine and not as bad, but MANY people here are showing these symptoms thanks to this crazy warm weather and all of the mold so that's not a surprise.

I do feel slightly better each day, but still pretty miserable, but I am resting and drinking liquids and taking my vitamins and with time I should turn the corner.

Thanks for the replies!