I Keep Getting Hives Every Time I Scoop Kitty’s Litterbox Help!!

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
i use a respirator mask when I’m changing it because I don’t like to smell it and I also wear latex gloves so I’m not touching bacteria I don’t know what else to do

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like an allergy. Is it a scented litter?

Margret
Are you allergic to the cat? or allergic to the cat litter? If it's not an allergy to the cat I would try a different litter.
It is Dr. Elseys unscented clumping

I don’t get symptoms snuggling kitty. I agree that I should try a different litter but I would imagine they all have a fairly similar ingredient list so I’m kinda worried

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is Dr. Elseys unscented clumping

I don’t get symptoms snuggling kitty. I agree that I should try a different litter but I would imagine they all have a fairly similar ingredient list so I’m kinda worried
There are different kinds of litter, not just clay. Just off the top of my head I can think of different litters made of, wheat, corn, walnut shells, paper, wood pellets, and silica crystals.

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would say don't wear gloves and just wash your hands thoroughly after you finish cleaning the litter box. Bacteria (and fecal matter) is present on pretty much EVERYTHING you touch anyway. It is unavoidable. Your phone, for example, is one of of the filthiest things you own. It is basically covered in poop. Just keep washing your hands and keep lots of hand sanitizer around. The only reason to take extra precautions when cleaning the litter box is if you are pregnant, and I would have someone else clean it in that case anyway.

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks
I would say don't wear gloves and just wash your hands thoroughly after you finish cleaning the litter box. Bacteria (and fecal matter) is present on pretty much EVERYTHING you touch anyway. It is unavoidable. Your phone, for example, is one of of the filthiest things you own. It is basically covered in poop. Just keep washing your hands and keep lots of hand sanitizer around. The only reason to take extra precautions when cleaning the litter box is if you are pregnant, and I would have someone else clean it in that case anyway.
Thank you so much for explaining it really helps me to hear that I don’t need to worry so much about contact with the bacteria

SillyCalico

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks

Thank you so much for explaining it really helps me to hear that I don’t need to worry so much about contact with the bacteria
Yeah, if you wash your hands throughly it’s enough. Even keep anti bacterial wipes nearby if it’s still a nervous thing for you.
But like a previous person said and to add to it... particals are already on nearly 100% of every surface in your home. Think about it, if they bury their mess each time they potty, then go wondering around.. and allowed on furniture..... what they do when your not home....
It’s just one of the sacrifices when being a cat, and even dog owner.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to stick in my two cents' worth:
You don't even need antibiotic wipes, or antibiotic soap. The main value of hand washing is simply to remove the bacteria, you don't have to kill them. And the problem with some of these wipes and soaps is that they end up contributing to antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Margret

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
You don't even need antibiotic wipes, or antibiotic soap. The main value of hand washing is simply to remove the bacteria, you don't have to kill them. And the problem with some of these wipes and soaps is that they end up contributing to antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Margret
Super interesting and makes sense. Thanks

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'd guess that's probably the gloves then. In my experience, if you are allergic to the litter itself it usually manifests as repiratory issues. Try some vinyl gloves and see how it goes.

Margret
I agree with Margret.

It was the latex gloves

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Here's an article for us to read :- evr_ct_facts-about-cat-dander-and-allergies

I have a spray bottle filled with Isopropyl Alcohol. I spray them on my hands after each time I scooped the litter box and also after keeping the scoops and throwing away the bagged up litter clumps or poo. After all that, I wash my hands with soap.

But with dander allergies, it's a different precaution to take. Allergens does not only come from the litter box, it is in the whole house, practically on everything. Most important regime is to clean, clean, clean, vacuum, vacuum, vacuum, steam clean, steam clean and steam clean. But it's always the laziness part of us wins :confused: :paperbag: :lol:

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It was the latex gloves
Good that you found this out now, when you are getting a minor reaction.

Now that you are aware of a LATEX Allergy; You need to report that to your PCP Doctor; and any other Healthcare Personnel.
It needs to be flagged on you Medical Chart.

Allergies to latex, meds, food.. are like this: The original allergy attack may be minor, but subsequent allergy attacks, from even the tiniest thing, can put you into a Severe reaction!!

Please try to remember this.. although most, medical practices use non-latex things.. I am not sure if it is mandated by the AMA or not.. but make sure you tell them.

And the Vet, also...

Just thinking the best for you..