I Just Got A New Kitten Please Help

sydthesquid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
P Pauliejeee as silly as it sounds I was nervous to pick up my tiny kitty when I brought her home because she was hissing at me! I put a blanket down where she liked to lay so instead of picking her up directly I picked her up by picking up the blanket she was laying on and wrapping it around her. If she has a favorite spot under the bed you could maybe try that. Good luck!

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can cover your arm with a towel to gently guide her out from under the bed. You could also roll up a blanket to guide her out and this would also block her way back under the bed.
Once you scruff her (like a mother cat picks up a kitten), you can put her on a towel in your lap to buffer the claws. You can wrap her in the towel then.

She's going to have a very short memory. She won't hold this against you.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if you scruff her she shouldn't be able to bite you as she's too small . When you are behind her do this and speak to her gently . The vet will show you how to do this too. My partner thought I was being a but harsh when I used to pick ours up like this until he saw the vet. You are her mummy now and you need to handle and guide her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pauliejeee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@Sarthur2 so i grabbed her and wrapped her around a towel and now im trying to hold her but she keeps meowing and tries to escape. How lond do i do this and do i keep forcefully make her stay??

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never grab at or force a kitten to be restrained unless you HAVE to. She is absolutely scared witless, terrified that she is away from everything she knows and loves. You must show her that you are a friend and family now. She will cry for up to a week, staying hidden is normal and will calm her. Sit quietly next to where she is and speak to her, offer food and milk substitute and leave her to sort out her fears. It is absolutely normal for a kitten to hiss and scratch at a huge human trying to grab/restrain her, afterall she does not know or understand what your intentions are. Get a cat wand and try to get her to play, kitten's play instincts are very strong. It is always good to get two kittens to keep each other company and to have someone to play with. Two are about the same in cost to raise, and have a much easier time adjusting. Since she was taken from her family so young, she will not have gotten the discipline and training kittens get from 6-12 weeks in interacting with others. Siblings and mama teach them how far they can go with rough play and how to play nice. Never use your hands to let them bite, it's cute when they are little but very hard to break when they are older and hurt. Cats do not respond to physical punishment, they just become afraid and will avoid you.
For now I would let her be where she is most comfortable, but frequently sit or lay close to her and talk soothingly to her. She is very lonely right now and needs interaction. Hold out your hand to her but do not touch until she comes to you. Give her food and water and sit nearby to give her feelings of comfort that comes with good food. She will come around, with cats it takes patience and lots of love. Remember, she is a tiny baby and so scared and alone. But time heals and she will come around.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we did advise for the kitten to be picked up and held however more for reassurance as was concerned she'd been left not held for too long. Keep reassuring her and put her down if she gets upset . Sit with her as others have advised and talk to her when feeding her . She will soon associate you with food and comfort and will come to you and play ! You all then be at the next stage where she won't leave you alone and wants to bite.. It does take time ...