I Just Got A New Kitten Please Help

Pauliejeee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, so I've never had a cat before and my parents just brought a 4 week old kitten..
We don't have a literbox bought, but we just made a small cardboard box as a temporary liter box and we have put food in water and some water in a different bowl.
The kitten is in my room currently and it finally left the cage that I left it open because they said I need to let it hide and whatnot. I've been ignoring her bc thats what I've read to do here. She has been meowing lately, this is because she misses her family right?
What should I do to make her feel more comfortable?? She's currently under my bed, meowing every while and then. !

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I really hope that you are wrong about the age of your kitten. Four weeks old is much much too young for a kitten to be adopted. At that age it may not be able pee, poop or maybe even eat in its own. So, double check on the age, if it is truly four weeks old get it to the vet right away to have it checked out and get instructions on caring for it, or better yet return it to its mother for at least another four weeks.

If she actually is older, I wouldn't ignore her. She is so little and scared, she would like some attention. I would lay on the floor as close to her as you can get and offer her some toys to she if she will start to play with you, or give her some kind of cat treat to eat. At her age human contact is very important so keep trying to get her interested in you.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pauliejeee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's 4 weeks old, maybe 5 max, we didn't adopt it, my parent's family's cat made 5 kittens and they were giving them to the adoption center but when they went to find them, they only found 4. After they came back from the adoption center, it appeared out of nowhere and my parents found out and they brought it home. My parent's friends also said they had their cat since 4weeks old and it was very cuddly in the beginning. I know that every kitten is different and this one is probably scared so much. However, the kitten ate a little and even drank some water that I put. The kitten stopped meowing now and I'm not really sure what to do. I'm planning to go see the vet soon like tomorrow. Sadly... I don't have time today... I wish I could go today to learn more about how to take care of it....

Pauliejeee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
is there any recommended cat treats to buy at petsmart?

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There's also kitten milk substitute. May be young and need the milk, ask your vet.
If the meowing is continuous short meows, that's kitten for I'm scared.
If she's engaging you then don't ignore her. If she's coming to you then pat, scat and get her used to her hands. Only leave her alone if she's timid or avoiding contact. If she is avoiding leave her be she'll come to you. If your concerned, when it's food time use a string smelling food and try to coax her out with that. Be patient it'll work out.
3 words long white string. Get her playing. If she's stressed she cat vent running and chewing.
Good luck.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do take her to the vet tomorrow as they can check and weigh her.. Kittens should not leave mothers until at the very least 8 weeks. We've had ours since around 7 because the previous owners lied to us (we found her true age when we took her to vets! She's too young for treats as they may be too rich for her . Buy kitten food for her and do give her plenty of love and attention. Has she used the litter box yet? At 4 weeks she will need help with this I suspect. Place her in the litter box after she has eaten .

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Give her pate-style wet food and dry kitten chow.

She will need worming at the vet. She is too young for vaccines, but can start them and get spayed when she weighs 2 pounds.

I would hold her and play with her as much as possible! Kittens need to feel safe and loved, and they thrive on attention.

Thank you for caring for her! :)

sydthesquid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's so young and probably very scared, like others said you should really take her to a vet. When I first got my kitty she was meowing and hiding under the bed but I ended up getting a soft blanket and wrapping her in it, letting her kind of burrow down in it where she could hide from seeing me directly. I would hold her in the blanket while I was sitting or lying down so she would feel comforted and safe by the warm blanket while at the same time getting used to me without direct contact. After a day or two of me doing this she started to trust me. I too read that you were supposed to leave them alone but I think when they are babies you need to make the first move to make them feel safe so they know you are there to help and love them

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your kitten might like a stuffed animal to cuddle with. The critter should not have eyes or ears that could be chewed off. I suggest you find one that is washable. You can often find toys like this in the infants section of a store.

I'd pick a critter that is larger than the kitten -- maybe twice the size so when it snuggles against it -- the stuffed critter doesn't move.

Pauliejeee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , how do i hold her when she hisses at me whenever I get close??
However, I've been just trying to sit on the ground and try to ignore eye contact and its been doing things on its own such as drinking water and etc but its always keeping an eye on me. I think this means she still doesnt trust me yet.
Foxden said, I should try to hold her by wrapping her in a warm blanket but I don't know if I can even put her in a blanket.
I read that if I try to grab her, it will ruin all the trust issues that I have made throughout the day by just sitting down and letting it know that it is okay.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you post a picture of the kitten please?

You should be able to scruff and pick up a four-week-old kitten, and offer it comfort and reassurance. It should not take too long for it to learn to trust you at this age.

Is the kitten eating?

Pauliejeee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My dad tried to grab her and she tried to attack.. i guess i could try to wrap her in a blanket or something and grab her....?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's adorable! :)

Yes, the sooner you can handle her the better. Try not to scare her, but try to scruff her by the back of her neck so you can hold her. She needs to begin to learn to trust you.

Pauliejeee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 thank you. Im scared that she will attack me.. haha maybe i shohldnt be scared.. she hisses at me and right now shes under my bed so its hard for me to grab her

Pauliejeee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Should i man up and grab her by the back of her neck with a blanket?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, you would scruff her with your hand. I would not grab her with a blanket. It will scare her.

I think you can figure this out. She's alot smaller than you! :)

Pauliejeee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok i guess i just need to man up and try to hold her....