I have tried everything, any ideas?

KazW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I have two sibling 4 year old neutered cats male and female. The other morning we were woken to insane fighting between the two of them. We immediately split them up into separate parts of the house to calm them and us down!
They have always been the sweetest cats who eat together sleep in the same spots, play fight and play with us, never bitten or scratched us, an owners delight! We tried the "reintroduction method" after splitting them up and this is where it gets weird. They can get on absolutely fine until the male gets into stalky mode where he won't leave the female alone, follows her and watches her all the time. We have Felliway diffusers in the house and the vet has given us calming tablets which they take every day, they are both super healthy. We witnessed this the other night which caused her to start screaming and fighting him. I have caught him in recent weeks pinning her down and he's not quite sure why. We keep them apart for parts of the day as we can't permanently be on cat watch. Then the male just non stop howls. I have googled and am assuming it's male urges.
We are at our wits end, we're not getting any sleep, the cats hate being apart but can't be together unsupervised.
Please if any one has any ideas what we can do we would be so grateful.
Thank you!

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet checked the male’s hormone levels? It is not unusual for a neuter to not be completed correctly.

I’m not sure on the timeline you’ve given. You say this happened the other night, but he has been pinning her down for weeks? Reintroductoon would have to be longer than this, having happened just the other night- if it’s a redirected aggression issue.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I fully empathize with you, because my tomcat started to yowl few months ago, disturbing our sleep. We are still looking for a solution, besides the one of neutering him, which I agree to do, but I do not think that it is the only cause.

===
- Look into health problems first.
- Then investigate what you changed in the rooms when the problems started.
- It is sufficient food for both?
- Have they distinct territories?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KazW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet checked the male’s hormone levels? It is not unusual for a neuter to not be completed correctly.

I’m not sure on the timeline you’ve given. You say this happened the other night, but he has been pinning her down for weeks? Reintroductoon would have to be longer than this, having happened just the other night- if it’s a redirected aggression issue.
I caught him pinning her down but put it down to play fighting as she just ran away. The aggression started the other night, whereby we had to break them up. I'm waiting for the vets to call me back as we speak. Fingers crossed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KazW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I fully empathize with you, because my tomcat started to yowl few months ago, disturbing our sleep. We are still looking for a solution, besides the one of neutering him, which I agree to do, but I do not think that it is the only cause.

===
- Look into health problems first.
- Then investigate what you changed in the rooms when the problems started.
- It is sufficient food for both?
- Have they distinct territories?
Thank you, its so disturbing isnt it? Both our cats are neutered, they have plenty of food and had a general check up and jabs recently. Our house is quite big and there are plenty of cat towers and places to hide away, its so frustrating. I hope your Tom cat finds his calm soon!