I Have to Rehome My Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whenever you put a trap out, you have to monitor it on a regular basis. Maybe not hourly, but frequently.
Yep. As soon as we caught her my husband ran out there and let her go because the motion detection went off. At night the camera quality sucks (you can see it in those pictures) and it barley picks up any motion at night, it’s hit or miss. Also, my husband works all day and I’m with the baby all day and night so it’s incredibly hard to keep checking on the trap.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry you’re going thru this. My grandfather had a cat that randomly just started attacking him out of no where. I wish I could say it had a happy ending but unfortunately it didn’t. But we sometimes have to make awful horrible decisions to protect our people. I can tell from your posts that you love her but not all animals fit with everyone. Maybe she is loving being an outdoor cat and that is where she is meant to be ❤

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry you’re going thru this. My grandfather had a cat that randomly just started attacking him out of no where. I wish I could say it had a happy ending but unfortunately it didn’t. But we sometimes have to make awful horrible decisions to protect our people. I can tell from your posts that you love her but not all animals fit with everyone. Maybe she is loving being an outdoor cat and that is where she is meant to be ❤
I’ve been having the worst time coming to terms with it. I’d like to think she is having the time of her life out there. Maybe she was meant to be outside.
It’s supposed to start storming anytime now, and it will be the first time she’s ever experienced a storm outside. The first time she’s felt rain if she can’t find shelter.
I think I’m just going to have to find comfort in thinking that she is okay, and that it’s okay if I never see her again.
My old outside cat, Milkshake, was amazing. He would frequently visit the neighbors cat, and she soon had a litter of kittens. He was the only grey male around. Milkshake traumatically passed away August 30, 2020. I was distraught, crying, and screamed all the way home from dropping him off to get buried. I couldn’t understand why God let this happen. I drove by the neighbors and seen little Smoothie in their driveway. She was so small. The neighbors gave her to me on August 31, 2020 because they didn’t want to deal with the kittens anymore, and were looking to give them all away. She was her dads twin. She was the only grey kitten.
Smoothie comforted me through one of the hardest parts of my life. I healed slowly through helping her get over her sickness, and seeing her grow into an adventurous sweet cat.
It hurts that only this short amount of time later, I am faced with Smoothie being gone as well. If everything in life does have a certain purpose, maybe she’s finished her purpose with me? Maybe it was time for her to go help somebody else. I’ll never know. I do know that she was an amazing cat, just like her daddy, even if she did have behavioral problems. The issues she had going on didn’t make her any less of a companion. She was my baby.

*Milkshake, Smoothie’s dad, is the one outside. They are two cats that I’ll consider family forever. They will reside in my heart always.

Attachments

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats are smarter than we think. She will find a safe place. Have you put food out to see if she will come eat it? Least then you know she’s eating. I also believe things happen for a reason. People come into your life for a reason or a season and so do animals. She may be needed to help someone else. Is she spayed?

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, we ended up accidentally catching one of the other friendly neighborhood cats. :( she has kittens and we’re afraid to put the trap out at night in case we accidentally catch her again. There’s so many cats around here, and it’s so weird that she hasn’t came back around.
I wonder if it's possible that she's not coming around because there are so many cats around there. If she is triggered by the presence of your other cat, perhaps she is scared of the other cats outside as well.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are smarter than we think. She will find a safe place. Have you put food out to see if she will come eat it? Least then you know she’s eating. I also believe things happen for a reason. People come into your life for a reason or a season and so do animals. She may be needed to help someone else. Is she spayed?
I hope so. Yes she is spayed. She’s been spayed for almost 8 months.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wonder if it's possible that she's not coming around because there are so many cats around there. If she is triggered by the presence of your other cat, perhaps she is scared of the other cats outside as well.
She always liked being around Midnight until her first outburst. Then she was always on edge when she saw another cat outside. In our little area, I know there are for sure 4 cats near us. Down the road there are multiple cats, but everytime I see all of them they’re each in their main owners front yard. Anything is possible as to why she may not be coming around. Maybe we’ll see her out when we’re looking for her. It’s really like she’s disappeared.

My childhood cat, King, still lives with my mom and dad. He is a one cat kinda dude. (Strange enough King is technically an uncle of Smoothie because King’s mom had a litter of kittens in the neighbors shed, they took them, and one of them gave birth to Smoothie some years later.) King once got outside for one night only, and when he came back, we had a wide amount of strays that I considered my own. They would be on the porch to get fed. King was under the front porch step. When my mom opened the door, he came up on the porch, hissed at the other cats, and came back inside. Smoothie actually has a lot of King’s qualities. She probably doesn’t want to be around other cats just like he doesn’t. Hooefully she will still come back anyways though like King did.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Or maybe someone took her in and is looking after her with a nice view of the birdfeeder.

But still, I would keep looking around any stairs, decks, under cars.

Assuming you still live at the house where these photos were taken, that wooden deck connected to the door is a place I would definitely check.

Is your apartment an actual multi story apartment? I'm not understanding how she actually got out if there's an elevator and lobby.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Or maybe someone took her in and is looking after her with a nice view of the birdfeeder.

But still, I would keep looking around any stairs, decks, under cars.

Assuming you still live at the house where these photos were taken, that wooden deck connected to the door is a place I would definitely check.

Is your apartment an actual multi story apartment? I'm not understanding how she actually got out if there's an elevator and lobby.
It could be someone took her in. If they did I just hope they’re nice.

We live in a two story, incredibly small apartment. It has a little wooden deck on the back that we took her on when it snowed. There’s 8 apartments, including ours. When you walk out the front door, the outside is right there. There is no elevator or lobby.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
amarshall0919 amarshall0919 She has not vanished and I doubt she went with anyone else based on her behavior, She is likely very stressed and hiding which I agree with IndyJones IndyJones to really search high and low as cats can get into very small spaces and will stay quiet. It's best to go out at dark with a flashlight and look for eyes glowing in, around and under things. I would also continue to keep trying to trap and do your best to monitor them.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We’ve been looking but no luck so far. Unfortunately, as far as her hiding, the only places she could hide are on other people’s property and people around here don’t take too kind to strangers asking them to look around their yard.

If she is hiding, she’ll still get out to eat and drink, right??? I sure hope so because it’s been around 90 degrees F all week.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
We’ve been looking but no luck so far. Unfortunately, as far as her hiding, the only places she could hide are on other people’s property and people around here don’t take too kind to strangers asking them to look around their yard.

If she is hiding, she’ll still get out to eat and drink, right??? I sure hope so because it’s been around 90 degrees F all week.
Probably, are you leaving water outside for her? Have you asked your neighbors if they have seen her? Posted flyers?

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I may have saw Smoothie today. There was a cat out close to the field that looked exactly like her. I’ve been looking out that window basically non-stop for a week. When I seen this gray looking cat, I was in disbelief. I went to the window, and tried calling for her, but by time I opened it, she went behind someone’s house into the other woods. It could’ve been another cat, but it seriously looked like her. It was pretty far away though so little details definitely could’ve been missed. I’ve got my fingers crossed.

We were coming home yesterday, and had been looking for her. A cat crossed the road, and I almost jumped out of the car seat because from the back it looked like her. The cat turned around and had a completely different face. It also had white back paws, which she didn’t have.

I know she is out there.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nothing at all today. Been pretty sad. I don’t know why these things happen and I guess I never will. She didn’t deserve to change like that. She should still be here inside with us. Our apartment isn’t the same without her here. I want to move.

Edited: the hardest part is not knowing if she is okay or not.

Attachments

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still no sight of her yesterday. It came a little rain storm, and I watched one of the movies that she also loved to watch with us: Disney’s Aristocats. I think she loved it because of all the other cats. My daughter is starting to really show interest in stuff now that she’s 5 months, and she seemed to also like some of the Aristocat movie.

I’ve had a lot of time to think, and I’m so thankful for this group because it’s allowed me to get my feelings out. I’ve appreciated all the replies. I think that Smoothie never was the same after her first fight with Midnight in July 2021. Something changed in her during that fight. If you look back at my previous threads when this all first happened, nothing out of the ordinary caused Smoothie to attack besides Midnight ran across the floor and jumped on the back of the couch. The blinds were closed, nothing was on tv, it was just us 3 hanging out because my husband was at work and my daughter wasn’t born yet. She always stayed next to me, and I had been cleaning. I think, for some reason, Midnight running across the floor startled her and she didn’t recognize him. That’s how it seemed to me. I’m not sure if she saw him run across the floor, or just noticed him when he was on the side of the couch about to jump up. I think she developed a sort of PTSD from that fight. She was always on edge, sorta nervous, since that moment.

She had 9 aggressive moments in total, and it was all stemmed from something making her nervous. I think she had gotten better, but a little bit of that PTSD was still there.

1st aggression: July 2021. Attacking Midnight. Out of the blue. Had been laying next to him 30 minutes prior to the attack. Was back to her normal self in about an hour.

2nd aggression: Same day. Midnight and Smoothie caught up again after she hissed at him. She started scratching my husband to get to Midnight. Midnight tried jumping up a wall to get her. They did not fight though. Was back to her normal self in about an hour.

3rd aggression: September 2021. My husband and I were playing around, and I ran after him into the kitchen. Smoothie started coming after me, wasn’t hissing, but was genuinely attacking my legs. My husband had to get her away. Was back to her normal self in 15 minutes.

4th aggression: September 2021. After doing good through the door, we tried to reintroduce Midnight and Smoothie. Smoothie started howling, her pupils were huge, and wanted to attack. My husband had Midnight on a harness, and good thing because he was ready to fight based on the noises coming out of her. Was back to normal self in an hour.

5th aggression: October 2021. My husband raised his voice at his video game. Smoothie was laying next to me. Her pupils got real wide, she hissed, and jumped down onto the floor like she was going to attack. However, she instantly calmed down and no attack was made.

6th aggression: October 2021. I fell down our stairs. The noise obviously scared her. Pupils real wide. Was about to attack me, but my husband calmed her down and she was instantly fine.

7th aggression: December 2021. Baby was crying in her car seat because we were about to leave. Smoothie starts running around, trying to get into the car seat. I tell her no, she hisses at me. I tell my mom to take baby into the car, and I’ll be out in a minute. Smoothie was completely calm in 5 minutes.

8th aggression: December 25, 2021. I had a Christmas tree headband on. She was drinking out the sink. I came out of the bedroom, and scared her, causing her to fly down the stairs. She came running back up. I had to close myself in the bathroom.Husband locked her in the bedroom.I took my headband off, she was a little on edge when she came out of the bedroom just a few minutes later, but she showed no aggression.

9th aggression: The moments that happened on May 9th, 2021. She had calmed down in 30 minutes when I got into the office area, but she was very much still on edge. It took nothing for her to turn on me. Was not like her at all.

Now see, the reason I believed she had gotten better was that there were multiple incidents where I thought something could’ve done made her nervous and she didn’t react at all. I fell down the stairs again while carrying trash. Smoothie wasn’t bothered by this at all. Baby cried many, many, many times with Smoothie in the room. No reaction. She would even lay right next to baby if she was crying.

I wish that the car keys and babies car seat hadn’t been in the office area. If they hadn’t been, I wouldn’t have had to go back in there and maybe it would’ve gave her even more time to calm down. That way I could’ve got her in a carrier, took her to the vet, and maybe got her into a foster.

She had calmed down enough for me to be able to open the office door and grab the car keys and phone from the hallway. She laid at the top of the stairs, and just hissed at me and did a low growl. She didn’t try to attack me though except for that one time. I did not want to let her outside, but I know that was the only way we could get out of those rooms. I hate it so much.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
amarshall0919 amarshall0919 I am so sorry you are going through all of this. This site is awesome especially to talk to others who can empathize and also provide suggestions.
I urge you not to give up, many on here have had cats who have gotten outside and it took a considerable amount of time before they were reunited.
I’m sure she is just very scared right now and hiding. Keep calling for her and looking for her especially when it’s dark.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s coming an awful storm. It’s absolutely pouring, hailing, and everywhere is flooding. The wind is absolutely roaring. As the night goes on it’s supposed to get even worse. I’m very worried for Smoothie. I hope she’s okay wherever she is. This is rough.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s coming an awful storm. It’s absolutely pouring, hailing, and everywhere is flooding. The wind is absolutely roaring. As the night goes on it’s supposed to get even worse. I’m very worried for Smoothie. I hope she’s okay wherever she is. This is rough.
The roughest part is not knowing, but I'm sure she was resourceful during the storms. We had the same thing here last night.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The roughest part is not knowing, but I'm sure she was resourceful during the storms. We had the same thing here last night.
Thank you so much for keeping me thinking positive! I need that reassurance. Just got done talking to the animal shelter. He was very nice. All the cats they have in right now are orange and some black. Unfortunately no smoothie. Our town’s animal shelter is extremely small, only 11 cages :((. Which means they can only have 11 animals at a time, and it’s so upsetting.