I Have To Make Casper Take His Medicine

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It could be worse, I mean aren't you glad they are not suppositories? Here kitty ----
And then there is the thing with eating a 5 day dead stinky mouse but a little pill, no way. I will lick my butt before I take that into my mouth.
Ear drops are really fun also. How can they shake their head that fast without scrambling their brain? One drop in, five drops spread in a rainbow all across the ceiling.

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had a cat growing up that preferred me and really didn’t like my mom. When he had meds my mom would have me go get him and help hold him. It made him more at ease. My little guy now is the biggest monster I’ve ever seen when it comes to pills. The way I do it with him is I open his mouth and put the pill in, I close his mouth and hold it tight then I open his mouth and give him a squirt of delectable lickable cat treats. He then will swallow it all. This also worked for Oscar who wasn’t food motivated at all.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a girl who needed antibiotics after having bladder stones. But she was so good about letting me pop her pill in. About day four or five though I noticed that as soon as I pilled her she headed off under the furniture. Probably just a reaction to the process but I thought I should check her hiding spot and sure enough, there were the spit out pills.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight's Episode: "Cleaning up the Peanut Butter."

We crushed up the pill and mixed it with a small amount of peanut butter.
She put it on the roof of his mouth.

Casper swallowed, maybe, half of it. He spit the rest out and we ended up cleaning it off the carpets.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am pretty sure that all of my cats like hamburger juice. What that is is the liquid, not so much the fat, that you drain off hamburger after you cook it. It has some fat but mostly it's cooked beef juice. Crush up the pill until it's powder, add it to some beef juice and suck it up into an eye dropper. Stick the eye dropper end into the corner of the mouth and when the mouth opens squirt it in. They can't spit that out and may even like it. After a couple of shots you may not need the eye dropper. On the other hand if it looks like you might need medical care after the procedure wrap the cat in a towel first and make a kitty burrito.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With my cats they were like your casper, they would know when i would be coming with the pill and would take off, spit the pill out, or refuse to open their mouth when i was trying to give them a pill. So i bought a pill crusher, crushed the pill into fine powder, then got their favorite wet food, which was tuna, sardine or even chicken mince and mixed it i with a fork, but dont give them a massive amount of food give them enough food that makes them eat all of the medication first then give more food, like give casper 3 tablespoon of mixed wetfood with the meds, he will be hungry to eat it all and then still look for more.
33603885_1.jpg

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hmm even peanut butter wont work. Have you tried making casper really hungry ?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peanut butter is not, by itself, harmful to cats.

Because it is so sticky, there is a REMOTE possibility of choking if a cat swallows more than it can handle. The amount that a cat can lick would NOT be enough to be such a risk.

Consider this like giving a PBJ sandwich to a two year old child.

What do you do? You cut the sandwich into small pieces so the child won't bite off more than they can chew.

Exactly the same with cats.

We only used a half-teaspoon of peanut better. Probably less than the amount of toothpaste a person might put on a toothbrush. This amount would not present a choking hazard to a cat.

We were aware of this before we proceeded. We looked up whether peanut butter was okay for cats and we verified different sources which all gave the same information.

We were confident that all angles were covered before we went ahead.

I have had cats and dogs that loved to eat peanut butter. They would lick it off a spoon and come back for more.

Us kids would LAUGH as they tried to lick the peanut butter off the roof of their mouths! :flail::flail::flail: It's the funniest thing in the world to a kid! ;)

Anyhow... I've never seen a cat that was so recalcitrant about taking pills!

He actually resists swallowing them. You have to hold his mouth shut and rub his throat to get him to swallow. Yes, I make sure to get the pill all the way to the back of his mouth.

Strangely, Casper's Girl-Human was able to pill him, this morning, after I went to work.

It seems like my presence in the house, at all, makes him more difficult.

If she's home alone with the cat, it all seems to go great.

I've always known that Casper is more afraid of men.
We assume that he suffered some kind of abuse that caused this.
He was a rescue, found on the street. He is/was obviously somebody's cat because he's so well behaved.

Why would anybody abandon such a sweet cat?

And, what the heck did they do to him to make him such a difficult, little fuzz face?!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the past few days, Casper's Girl-Human has been able to give him pills without a lot of trouble, provided I am not in the room.

She comes in while he's napping, pets him for a moment then puts the pill in his mouth and holds him until he swallows.

The first couple of times, he ran and hid but, since yesterday, he just sits there and gives her the "F-U" look. A few minutes later he's back at his nap.

She can do it to him by herself but, if I'm around, he's like a wildcat!

Casper's health has been a lot better, lately, too! :)
He's got a lot more energy. He's been eating and playing more. He's been jumping up on his cat tree and things like that.

So... I guess, when it all comes out in the wash, everything is settling down and getting back to normal. :)

There are only three more days worth of pills and this whole thing will be over.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper just got his last pill of the course. YAY!

It went down easy. Girl-Human just opened his mouth and down it went.

Why couldn't he do it this way from the beginning?

Anyhow, Casper is feeling better, now. I think he just needs some time for his mouth to heal up and he'll be right as rain.

Thanks for all your help and support! :)