I Have To Make Casper Take His Medicine

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper had to go to the vet for a bad tooth. He ended up getting it pulled out.

His right side upper canine tooth was so rotten it was loose. The vet pulled it out right there in the exam room. It was over in less than a minute. She gave him a shot of antibiotic and a 10-day course of pills that we have to give him twice per day.

In the past, I have never had a problem giving medicine to pets. Although I prefer to hide the pill inside some kind of treat, I can "make" them take it if I need to. This has never been a problem before. If they won't take it the nice way, I'll have to put the pill in their mouth and hold them until they swallow. "Git'er done," as the saying goes.

The problem is that Casper is THE most recalcitrant pet I have ever known.

To make it worse, Casper is also very skittish.

Casper eats very little human food. Maybe he'll take a lick of butter or milk, once in a while but it's a red letter day when he has more than that.

He will not take food, kitty treats or anything else out of hand. You have to put it in his food dish or on the ground, otherwise he will not take it. He'll just sniff and turn up his nose.

We have tried to entice Casper to take his pills by hiding them in treats, Pill Pockets, or liverwurst but he has gotten wise to it. He'll eat the treat and spit out the pill. He won't even eat a Pill Pocket without a treat inside. He just turns up his nose.

What's the alternative? Put the pill in his mouth, push it to the back of his throat and hold his mouth shut until he swallows.

This is, physically, not the problem.

The difficulty lies in the fact that Casper is so skittish. He is generally wary of me to begin with. He is very comfortable with his main, "Girl-Human." He'll sleep with her and sit on her lap for attention and petting but he has always been stand-offish with me. He always has been.

I guess that's just the breaks. Many cats have a "main human" and are rather cool toward others. That's okay with me. Casper is her cat. We got him for her moral support and he does that job very well.

Now I have to give Casper twenty pills, one pill two times a day. He's already wary of me and this is making it even worse. As it is, Casper gets ready to run and hide when I simply walk into the room and it's only been two days.

I feel really bad about this. I don't want Casper to be afraid of me but, if it comes down to a choice between the cat being sick or making him take his pills, I guess I'll just have to be the "bad guy."

Does anybody have advice?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Hold his mouth open, tilt his head back and and drop the pill down his throat. Of you have someone to hold him while you open his mouth it will be so quick he doesn’t realize what is going on. And you can let him go as soon as you do the pill toss.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How big is the pill? Is it crush-able?
If so, you could crush the pill, put the powder in just a bit of butter and use your finger to "smear" it on the part of his face where his whiskers grow. He might be insulted but most cats don't leave food on their whiskers and will clean it off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that's pretty much how it goes.

This morning when I gave him his pill, I walked into the bedroom and he started to dive under the bed.

I had to grab him and scruff him. He hissed at me and dove under the bed, afterward.

The "doing" part only takes thirty seconds. I have done it many times, before and I'm sure that I'll do it many times in the future.

The problem is that Casper is going to be afraid me from now on.

Hmm... The pills are crushable. We do give him other pills like that, by putting them in his food.

The problem with these pills is that he had to take ALL of them. If he doesn't get the full dose, the antibiotic will stop working.

If he doesn't get every bit of his other things, it's not such a problem.

Casper is such a sweet cat. It makes me feel so bad that he had to be afraid of me like this. :(

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our boy isn't skittish, but he's onto moving under things when his inhaler comes out. We treat it like a big game. He's done some impressive moves with round house kicking that thing out of our hands and across the room. As hard as it is, remember when you get upset, they'll get upset too which makes it worse. If you can handle it with a "what, me worry?" attitude, he might feel better which will make you feel better too.
Does Casper have anything he likes more than anything in the world, like a certain toy or a treat or anything that comes from you? You could use that as the reward for after you pill him. Our boy is usually always ready to eat, so his meals are served immediately after he takes his inhaler. He doesn't run off and hide after he's done with it, he goes to the counter where we get his food around and meows for his reward.

christfawk

Keeps hobblin' along
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a local pharmacy which can make any medication into a liquid for pets, if pill guns and force don't work perhaps you can do some digging and see if a local pharmacy will do that for you?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper’s Girl-Human just gave him a pill.

He was sleeping on the bed. She walked up, petted him for a minute then gave him the pill.

Casper hid under the bed for a while but, now, he’s lying on her lap. :)

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Although Feeby's antibiotics are liquid, I was originally using a syringe to 'force feed' her meds. By the time the antibiotics were about over, she was fighting me tooth and nail. This last time, I used water from canned tuna - just enough to mix with the antibiotic dose and she willingly lapped up every bit each time. In her case, I would 'treat' her with a little bit of the tuna afterward.

I know you said Casper doesn't like human food - but is that true of canned tuna in water as well? If not, you could crush up the pill and mix it with just enough tuna water to know that he is taking it all.

I have also used canned chicken in water the same way with Feeby.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's been acting weird about food, lately.

Sometimes, he'll eat his dry food or his canned food. One but not the other. Some days he only wants his kitty treats.

Whenever we have canned tuna, I save him a spoonful of juice and some of the bits. One day he'll be all over it. The next time he'll be "ho-hum" and it will sit there all night with only a lick or two taken out.

When he was sick with megacolon, he ate about half of a slice of liverwurst. That's the most human food I've ever seen him eat.

We just never know what he'll eat or when.

It's probably because he had a bad tooth and, now, he's missing a tooth all together. He probably needs time for his mouth to heal.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he had one tooth that was so bad right up front, what is the state of the rest of his teeth, gums and mouth? I would be worried there is a lot more going on inside. Did the vet mention him getting an anesthetized full mouth cleaning and removing any more rotten teeth he may have? If they look ok above the gumline there is no way to know what they look like underneath. So even if they don't seem to bad, it would be much better to have it cleaned up now and maintained (repeated) every couple years, than wait until more teeth are rotting out of his mouth. Make sense?

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My allergic-to-everything cat is like this. What I ended up doing was pulverizing the pill with a spoon onto his dish, and then pouring a bit of wet food or a gravy-based treat on top. Add a little water and mix it up. He'll drink it without even realizing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Whenever we have canned tuna, I save him a spoonful of juice and some of the bits. One day he'll be all over it. The next time he'll be "ho-hum" and it will sit there all night with only a lick or two taken out.
Switch between tuna and chicken water so he isn't always getting the same thing. Worse case scenario, you suck it up into an oral syringe and squirt a little bit at a time into the side of his cheek until it is gone. That was my back up plan if Feeby would have chosen to 'reject' the concoction I made for her!! Thankfully, she never did!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had the worst pill ever! :(

The worst pill of any cat dog or other animal I have ever had to do!

I had to catch him, scruff him, throw a coat over him and hold him down.

He screamed and cried the whole time.

He ran away and hid. I don't know where he is right now.

I feel just sick about this! :(

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve given pills to Saint Bernards and German Shepherds. It wasn’t one tenth as bad as what I just went through.

Why he hell can’t Casper take his pills like he should?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We’re seriously considering whether or not to give him any more pills.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about peanut butter?

Crush the pill into powder and mix it into a half teaspoon of peanut butter then just wipe on the roof of the cat’s mouth.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would try any and/or all of the suggestions you been given in order to find a solution to giving him meds. If you think peanut butter might work, go for it! If you can make the amount small enough, you might want to try putting it on his paw to lick from rather than stuffing it into his mouth - wouldn't that cause the same reaction from him as you just got with your most recent approach?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper’s Girl-Human tried butter, today, while I was at work.

She ground the pill with a mortar & pestle then mixed in some butter to make a paste.

First, she tried putting it in his mouth but it was still a struggle and he tried to spit it out. Then she wiped the rest on him.

Casper ran away and hid for a while but, after he settled down, he cleaned himself off. He probably got most of his medicine but not all.

I guess the results would probably have been the same whether she used peanut butter or regular butter. Right?

Maybe, tonight, we’ll try putting a mixture of butter and medicine just on his paws and see what happens.

I suppose it’s better if Casper gets some of his medicine instead of none. Right? :dunno: