I have another devastating loss my beautiful Black Buddy cat is gone

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All my past cats went outside against my wishes. I tried to curb it and failed. I had my heart broken many times. Often never knowing what happened. I now harness train my cats and am working on building a catio. We’ll compromise.
I'm not letting it happen again. The remaining cats will never go outside. I love them all way too much to let them put themselves in jeopardy. The catio is a great idea!

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Imagine this memory of him as going to the light, where at the end of it would be an endless field of grasses and blooms. He can run happily and endlessly without ever being harmed or hurt.

I am very sorry for your loss. It takes time, so for now, just hang in there. We are all here for you.
I do imagine that...the hardest part is not seeing me with him. I am still struggling, but not as dire as I was. Thank you for your words.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind words that I really appreciate. I have learned a few more things about Buddy now that I didn't know.

He was speculated to be from another street down the road. There was a large group of black cats that ran the streets. Buddy was probably one of the most fortunate, as I heard there were very few left, if at all. From where we live to where he came from, he had a perimeter that he took whenever he was out. I never knew this. There is a place where the road goes over a small creek. Most often he went under the road to get across. But sadly, I learned that he did in fact cross the road more than once. I believe he cheated death more than once crossing it.

It was also told to me that one of the people on his "area" said if she left her windows open, he took it upon himself to go inside her house. I thought that was pretty ballsy of him, but he was a very smart cat. The creek he went to, flowed by the house of the girl who helped bury him. She said she thought because she had seen him there several times, that it was a place he liked to go, so he is buried near there in her back yard.

I spoke with both of the people who found him right after he was hit. They are animal lovers, especially cats, so they didn't want to see his body be desecrated lying in the road. The right thing to do was to bury him. I thanked them both for doing what they did.

I have been in stages since this all happened. Yesterday was the final day of hard stages. The last being able to say goodbye to him at his grave. I told him I was disappointed that he put himself in that position. But that I loved him more than anything and I was honored to be part of his life. I think I have my closure, but it doesn't mean I won't break down time to time missing him. I see him every where. Even updating you all, has me in tears. I had many questions that needed answering. My family told me I didn't need to know and a few members even said that I needed to let them go. I couldn't. I needed the questions answered for my own peace of mind.

I found 2 good photos of him yesterday and blew them up and framed them. I have one in my bedroom and one on the wall in my dining room. Its been such a struggle, and I know it's not over but I think I have most of my answers. I needed them for MY closure.

The truth is, it seems he was a very busy cat and he had a routine I never knew about. I guess it should be peaceful for me to consider that I truly made him happy by giving him his freedom. If I had locked him up never letting him out, he may have been resentful. I will never know. But he died doing what made him the happiest, patrolling his "area". That area I never understood, but now that I know it entailed a place where he may have come from, it makes sense now. I let him be happy and didn't really know the story behind it. Now I think I do.

Everyone who knew of him thought he was a very big beautiful SMART cat. That makes my heart melt. Though I have to deal with the pain and grief of missing him, I have to find comfort in the fact that he never lost himself in being locked up. It was just what he did. He didn't get a deadly disease nor he didn't suffer. That's all I can ask and feel lucky about that. Maybe I didn't know him quite as well as I thought. Part of me thinks that might be a good thing. I just truly will miss my best friend for the rest of my days on earth and look forward to seeing him again.

Lastly, I have 3 of his children. 2 by different moms. The youngest is black just like him with a small patch of white on his chest. His name is Milo, and he is supposed to go with my daughter and her son when they move out (temorarily staying with me). Milo has a few qualities already that remind me of Buddy. Holding him helps me. I hope he grows up with most of Buddy's qualities. Until then, I can use him for comfort. My other cats are starting to get miffed about this cuddling thing. They only want to be held on their own terms. Buddy let me snuggle and cuddle any time I wanted. I still have Ivy and Tink (I call them my white twins), Abby (my momma girl) and Mia, Dude & Milo are Buddy's kids. So I do have a small part of him. I just wish I still had him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We don't get over those losses, but we do get through them. And the pain, while it never leaves, dulls with time. I lost my dad, who was the ultimate cat whisperer, in 1997. I'm sure that where ever our cats are, he is there too, and will look out for your Buddy.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We don't get over those losses, but we do get through them. And the pain, while it never leaves, dulls with time. I lost my dad, who was the ultimate cat whisperer, in 1997. I'm sure that where ever our cats are, he is there too, and will look out for your Buddy.
Thank you so much Mamanyt1953. I really appreciate your kind words. It's been rough and I'm getting through it...slowly