I Have A Theory

Frankophile Feline Fan

Floofing the floor
Young Cat
Purraise
It's well known that the brain generates electricity, and I believe sleep is critical for life because while awake we're all generating one type of power that builds up waste in our bodies. Sleep would generate a different current that removes the build up of waste. I'll refer to it as positive for awake and negative for sleeping.

I've always been fascinated by animal intelligence. I'm sitting here browsing the internet and watching my cat sleep. Cats sleep a lot as we all know - up to 20 hours a day. I'm wondering if all that sleep is to clean more waste build up generated from higher levels of power produced by a smaller brain.

Often I hear people in the name of science rate intelligence based on brain size. Then there are hoops to jump through to prove us homo sapiens superior to cetaceans (lol). But what if brain size is just one factor and nature has multiple brain characteristics to provide intelligence? Our cats demonstrate a surprising intelligence for a brain size of 20-30 grams. Are there differences in the power output of brains? Is it brain composition? The social mammal card? There should be more factors to consider besides brain size.

Attachments