I Have A Dying Kitten With Worms. Please Give Me All The Advices You Got :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felinediablox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Three days ago I took a black little kitty I named Severus. He was from our neighbours cat that gave birth to 4 black floofs 1 and a half month ago. (Yes, I think the neighbour took the kitten away from the mother too soon) He was all fine and happy for the first day but the second.. He stopped eating, he couldnt poo, he was crying and sleeping all the time. My bf took him to the vet that day and found out he has worms. We are giving him medication. Yesterday and today morning he was vomiting violently. Tonight he looks extremely weak and malnourished, I can feel all his ribs and he wont even lift its head anymore. The vet said he will die in 1 or 2 days unless he poops and eats something. He tries pooping every now and then but rarely does something come out. I force-fed him earlier this day with a syringe but he puked out everything. Before that, I tried giving him milk to force the pooping. Didnt work. My last resort that the vet adviced was putting some olive oil in his mouth and ass to help the worms detangle. Atleast he stopped vomiting now, I am not sure if is beause he is getting better or because he is too weak. I also managed to feed him a bit without him vomiting it out straight away. Problem is, I am not sure how much should I give him and how often? How can I make him poop? I even tried massaging his butt with a warm cloth. He started pushing but almost nothing came out. I do not want to lose him :(.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Felinediablox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is only one and a half month old, very young. Not sure how much does he weigh, He fits into one hand easily.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You need to make sure he is getting enough food. It needs to be calculated by his weight.

I recently just went through this with a kitten... she's still recovering.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go back another vet now. Your kitten may need an enema, and definitely needs fluids.

Felinediablox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I fed him cows milk because he cant digest it very well so I was adviced to give him milk to force him to poop yesterday. Also he weighs roughly 14 ounces? I am sorry but I do not have a weigh at home :(. So I should keep feeding him? how often? a little every hour? He is whimpering.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What are you feeding him?

If you are able, I also recommend taking him to another vet.

Felinediablox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I mixed his dry food with water to create a paste. Royal canin brand. 2 Days ago he ate a little bit of wet food but puked it out.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vomiting is caused from the constipation. The constipation is caused from the worms. You need to try to stimulate him to poop. Take a soft cloth that has been in warm water, wring it out, and very gently rub his genitals. This will help encourage him. Sometimes a gentle belly rub is needed.

As for food, you need to get some PetAg KMR powder and syringe/eyedropper/bottle feed this to him. He may be younger than 6 weeks. Does he have his teeth yet?

To feed him, place him on his stomach, head slightly up. Never feed like you would a human baby.

What wormer did the vet give you?

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he's 14 ounces he will need quite a bit of food. He will probably refuse the bottle, so I reccomend getting a 1 ml syringe (no needle) and slowly feed him. Go very slow. Since he doesn't want to eat, he's not going to suckle. So very little at a time, give him time to swallow. If you go to fast, he can aspirate.

Felinediablox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was not present at the vet and my bf says he did not say the name of the wormer, nor did my bf ask.. Yea, I feed him on his stomach, I tilt his head back. He does have his teeth indeed, he bit me a bit while giving him a pill the last time.. all I can tell is that the pill makes him salivate for a minute. I tried the cloth thing, he pushes but nothing comes out. I even massaged his belly and he definitely didnt like it.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Keep trying. Some times it can take a few minutes. The belly rub you can try either on his back or stomach down. I used to have to rub my kittens stomach for about 15 mins before he would go.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to take the kitten back the vet for an enema and fluids. No more cow milk.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of drops of either olive oil or coconut oil every 3 hours may help. Only a couple though.

Felinediablox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I give him olive oil, thanks, I didnt know he can have it more often. I was afraid that too much would do him harm only. The pills dont have a bottle, they are just in a plastic bag without a label. I am gonna feed him a bit again.

Status
Not open for further replies.