I Have A Catfession To Make..

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just lost my sweet Cookiepuss this past weekend and buried her in my backyard on Monday. I still grieve for her but having her burial ground in my yard helps me as I can visit. It makes me feel she is near me as I can visit her when I want. It truly gives me great peace to have her near.

But I am a total certified cat person and have not been without a cat in my life for going on 40 yrs. I could not stand being in the house alone knowing I don't have a furbaby to cuddle with or care for. So.... I marched right down to my local county shelter and rescued a new shelter cat for myself. Maybe some of you may think I'm a callous person but my heart is full of joy again and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

When I first got to the shelter I was even wondering a bit myself if I had gone insane. I walked through the whole cat section inspecting each cat and although I wanted to talk everyone home none of them really "spoke" to me. Then I asked if that was all the cats and was told no, they have a "new" cat section where the cats have just come in. So I said let me go look at the new ones too.

I was looking at a couple of real cutie pies when I spy this tiny multi-color midget of a cat cowering in her cage trying to look as small as she can. So I spoke some kind words to her and asked if I could look at her. She was so tiny and sweet and when I took her in my arms she sort of melted and started purring. I knew right then that I had been guided to that shelter and that it was meant for me to be her caretaker and new momma.

Got her home and kept thinking she looks just like a Gidget so tiny and small. But the name wasn't strong enough for me and I thought she deserved something more colorful and full of character. Then the word "Gypsy" popped into my head and that's what I named her.

So Gypsy is getting used to her new home and she is a little doll of a cat. So I took to the vet today for a wellness checkup and found out something she has a mouthful of extremely bad teeth and gums. Vet said this is typical of an 8-10 yr old cat to develop such bad teeth and gums and that it didn't match a 3 yr old cat the shelter claimed she is.

Good news is she is disease free and her bloodwork shows she is in good health. She did have a slight infection probably caused by her infected teeth. So now I have a dental appt set for her in April. Vet told me she will probably have to have all her teeth pulled. One of her canines the vet actually was able to gently pull it out with no problem it was almost falling out by itself. The other canine is also toast as well as her other teeth and probably all will need to come out.

I am guessing this may be why she ended up in the shelter to begin with. Maybe her former owner(s) could not afford the dental care or decided it was too much for them.

In any event I think I ended up with her to give her what she needed and take care of her. I am already smitten with her and her adorable sweet mews and the way she loves being petted and scratched on her belly and sides.

Don't have good pics of her yet but these should give you an idea. I think she has torti markings. I love her coloring.

Head shot.jpg
Sunning.jpg

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you have found the one for you and she's a sweetie. You're not callous, everyone reacts differently to grief and that was your way of dealing with it. There's no prescription for how you should deal with a loss. Also you rescued a kitty that may have always been left behind.:clapcat:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe Gypsy was meat to be yours and I don't think you are terrible at all for not waiting longer. I can't imagine being completely "catless" myself, and have gone from three cats, to two cats, to one cat, to two cats, to three cats again.

Bless you for opening your heart and your home to your tiny little Gypsy. May you have many good years together.

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe some of you may think I'm a callous person but my heart is full of joy again and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Nope. You get this is TCS right? We wouldn't have thought you were callous if you'd come home with 10 cats, and if it eases your pain then so much the better. this is a win-win for cat and human. I was on the phone to the Cat breeder the day after my Eva died. there's a lot of love for cats in my heart, it shouldn't go to waste. sounds like yours is the same.

I'm sorry for your loss, but happy you have opened your heart to another animal. I think Cookiepuss would be proud of you, and I am absolutely certain she'd want you to give another the chance of a loved home.

Cats get on fine with no teeth, they are resilient little buggers. I am a massive sucker for Torti's so looking forward to seeing lots of pictures please :)

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's nice to miss a kitty you lost, but the dead don't need your love as much as the swarm of live ones out there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for sharing my joy and my sorrow and your kind words. While I post this little Gypsy is sitting quietly next to the keyboard watching my fingers type. I wanted to visit Cookiepuss' grave today but it snowed yesterday so I couldn't even get to the backyard without suiting up for an expetition. So will wait til the snow subsides to visit her. In the meantime I have a new found kitty love to learn from while she is busy exploring her new surroundings. She is awfully shy and is taking a long time to come out of her shell. But she does come to me when she wants love and she loves being scratched and massaged all down her back and sides. She gives little "chirps" rather than meows and when she wants attention she chirps at me. What a quirky little sweet thing she is!

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nope. You get this is TCS right? We wouldn't have thought you were callous if you'd come home with 10 cats, and if it eases your pain then so much the better. this is a win-win for cat and human. I was on the phone to the Cat breeder the day after my Eva died. there's a lot of love for cats in my heart, it shouldn't go to waste. sounds like yours is the same.

I'm sorry for your loss, but happy you have opened your heart to another animal. I think Cookiepuss would be proud of you, and I am absolutely certain she'd want you to give another the chance of a loved home.

Cats get on fine with no teeth, they are resilient little buggers. I am a massive sucker for Torti's so looking forward to seeing lots of pictures please :)
I know exactly how you feel needing another cat even going through your loss! Its hard to live in a house without a cat when you are so used to it.

You have confirmed my belief that she has torti markings. She is my first torti so I wasn't sure.

The vet said the same about cats with no teeth. She told me about her toothless kitty and how well her cat does without teeth. She even told me cats can eat kibble without teeth. They just swallow the kibble and don't need to chew although hers still "mouths" the kibble like she's chewing. But honestly her mouth is so disease ridden that being toothless will make her feel so much better than she is now. Plus her current dental issues are starting to effect her overall health giving her an infection. So all the more reason to take out the bad and get her all fixed up and healthy again.

But now I am left wondering exactly how old is she? The shelter said she was 3 yrs but the vet said the condition of her dental disease takes years and she presents more like an 8-10 yr old cat. So....... how old is she? I am guessing she is closer to 8 yrs old more or less, and maybe the person who turned her over to the shelter lied about her age? Doesn't really matter I guess but it would have been nice to know her real age. KWIM?

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
BTW.. when she was weighed in at the vet's today she weighed a total of just over 5 lbs. Told you she was tiny!

I have never had such a tiny cat before. The vet said her weight was perfect for her size and that I will have to get used to stuff like how much is normal for her to eat and drink!