I Got My New Cat Her Geriatric Panel And It Came Back Not So Good

skrinkle

Cat mom
Young Cat
Purraise
Her BUN is 14.2, SDMA is 17^1, and MCH is 16.8
The vet then wanted a urine sample so we gave him that, and he just called back with the results saying she’s losing protein in her urine.

I’m wondering if anyone else has gone through this and can explain what it all means to me better? I’m going into the vet tomorrow to talk about medications.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi skrinkle skrinkle ,
form what your vet said to you, your cat has an advanced stage of CKD, Chronic Kidney Disease.
This could lead to a progressive renal failure and eventually to death.
I'm sure in the report creatinine levels are also mentioned.

The best approach to this issue should be prescribed by your vet.
Many people here (me included) have or have had similar experiences and will be glad to help you. Depending oh how good is the approach to the problem, how constant you will be on your kitty, how early you start with the treatment and how lucky your kitty is, you could enjoy the company of your cat for years.
Call your vet as soon as possible and let us know what he will tell you.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've had three kidney cats, and this is my "go to" website for questions about medications, etc. It's not interactive like we are, but it helps with certain questions, particularly if there is a specific issue going on, like vomiting "foam", trouble with appetite, that sort of thing. My last two cats with kidney disease were both diagnosed at age 12, and each lived to be 15. Hope that's helpful :hugs:. Of course, it does really depend on what stage they are in when diagnosed. That SDMA figures indicates early stage.

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

Let us know what the Vet says. Some cats will need over the counter antacids as they progress, some will need appetite stimulants, and eventually, most need sub-q fluids. The normal course of action is to first start by switching food to lower phosphorus foods. There are lists of foods on the above website that are listed in order of the amount of phosphorus in it (both wet and dry foods).

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrinkle

Cat mom
Young Cat
Purraise
We are starting on fortekor tomorrow. Does anyone have experience with it?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are starting on fortekor tomorrow. Does anyone have experience with it?
Fortekor is what I used to give to my cat.
It was Fortekor Flavor 5 mg, in my case the prescription was 1/2 pill a day.
The fact that is was flavored was helpful, my cat would take it without problem, she liked it so much that sometimes she would have had one more, she thought they were treaties :)

I guess this is what your vet prescribed. Didn't he told you anything about a special diet or subcutaneous fluids to be administred?
We switched to a renal diet (I tried different brands, I eventually stuck with Trovet Renal and Oxalate, wet ad dry, she loved it) from day 1 and for nearly 11 years, with occasional special meals three or four days a year.
I would also give her sub-Q injections of fluid (in my case the advice was for 120 ml Ringer's Lactated) every second day.
Because I got it early, because I was meticulous with the therapies and because my cat was lucky, we kept the disease under control and with borderline levels for all her life.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The Fortekor is actually for her loss of protein in her urine. AND it will help control high blood pressure, which can be another issue with kidney cats some of the time. None of my cats had either of those two issues, therefore were not prescribed that medication. BUT, I did read that when first starting up that drug, they need to have bloodwork done one week later just to make sure nothing gets too out of whack. Did your Vet mention that? Here is the page of the website I referenced above where that is discussed. Just scroll down until you find Ace Inhibitors and read about Fortekor: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Proteinuria

Did your Vet not discuss diet? I'm surprised, like Antonio65. What stage did they say your little one is in? Early?