I finally started my Christmas prep!!!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I finally got started on my Christmas baking. Two months later than I usually do. :paperbag: I give homemade goodies as gifts for all of my family and friends. The only gifts I buy are for my hubby and nieces. And even at, that I'm usually done with gift shopping by now as well, except for last minute stocking stuffers and such. So far I only bought one of the gifts for each of my nieces and still have one more each...just have to find them. I made my first online purchase ever (except for cat food that I buy online), for some pants for hubby, but obviously I still have a ways to go for him too.

I'M STRESSING!!!!!! There's not much time left.

For my baking, I would always be able to make upwards of 24 different goodies so that my platters are beautiful and have a good assortment. Don't think I'll be able to achieve that this year. :( I'm starting with "the favorites" and I'll go from there.
I was also hoping to make my nuts and bolts recipe, I'll have to wait on that, it's not something I make ALL the time so it won't be expected. Same with my perogies.
I'm starting with some simple marshmallow squares, when I see accomplishments, it tends to give me a boost to keep going.

Are all of you ready (or almost at least) for Christmas (or whichever holiday you celebrate this time of year :))?

Do you cook or bake for the holidays?

What are some of the things you make? I'm always willing to try new things if you would like to send me your recipes.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't bake for the holidays like I used to. My ex was from Youngstown and his Grandmother was Russian and his mother baked a lot for Christmas. I learned about things like Rugelach and Kolachy that I had never heard of before. I found out later that Rugelach is a Jewish pastry. They weren't Jewish but it originated in the Jewish communities in Poland which I guess is how his Grandmother started making it.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to bake but don't really bake much anymore since we've become busier. I'd like to get back in to baking though, because I enjoyed making deserts, especially cakes, and people often used to compliment me on them and ask me for recipes. I might have a go at making something festive this year.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
? for Jem Jem (can't PM you)......about your online petfood purchasing - would you PM me? Thx!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
? for Jem Jem Jem Jem (can't PM you)......about your online petfood purchasing - would you PM me? Thx!
I'll have to look up where to PM you (I haven't done it before). But just in case this changes things, I only used to order from my local vets office website, for my cats who ate prescription food. It wasn't a website like Chewy or whatever...

Is it the "start a conversation" when I click on your profile info?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK - issue resolved ('cause, afaik, there are no Chewy-thingies in CA!)
[for PMs, if I hover over someone's username, a box appears where there's a button "Start a Conv".....it seems you have blocked/denied that]

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to give cookies as gifts and would start baking in early November. Now if I make more than one Christmas cookie it is unusual. I guess it is age but Christmas is more of a project than anything else to me. I get lists and buy gifts early just so I can get it done and over. The best thing about the holiday is that it is the last,”have to” of the winter.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I usually start my baking on Thanksgiving weekend. The cookies I can make early and toss in the freezer. I love Alton Brown's White Trash, probably a lot like your nuts and bolts and I'll do a huge batch of that and bring most of it into the work. I use Ina Garten's recipe for my marshmallows, which are decadent in hot chocolate. Once you've had homemade marshmallows, you'll never go back to the air-puffed store bought stuff. I toss mine in cocoa and in toasted coconut and keep some plain for the hot chocolate..I love almond brittle; we buy our almonds at Trader Joe's, toast them, and then make the brittle. Yum. We also make our own peanuts and almonds in the oven.

The sticky buns are made right before Christmas, so that Rick and I can enjoy them Christmas morning. I also make for my sister and BIL.

I didn't start baking this past weekend, though. Since I'm retiring on December 16, I figured I'd have plenty of time to work on cookies and such after that. Unfortunately, yesterday, while putting the tree up, Dear Richard mentioned that there were NO cookies to enjoy while doing the tree. Oops. Completely forgot about that part. He was not amused. I'm going to throw some doughs together tonight, throw them in the fridge, and bake them on Wednesday night after I get home from work.

For those who are interested in recipes, here are some candy and snacks recipes from our members: Recipes - Candy, Snacks, And Other Nibbles

And cookie recipes from our members: Recipes - Cookies

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem