I Did It! My Resident Cat Finally Accepted The New Kitten!

macyaji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_0565.JPG

Introducing a new kitten to a resident cat is more complicated than US-Soviet diplomatic relationship back in cold war. I have a 9 month old tortie female kitten(Spayed) named Rose and I always wanted her to have a young sibling to play with. In the past 3 month, I had to give away two kittens because Rose just can't get along with them. The first kitten was extremely scared of Rose and I didn't introduce them correctly. Rose is extreme violent towards her, I ended up giving the kitten away to a friend after 1 week. With the second kitten, I followed all the proper steps but their personality just doesn't match. The kitten is too hyper and loves to provoke Rose. Rose ended up spraying the floor to mark territory. After 1 month of trying, I had to give the kitten away.

4 days ago I decided to make on final attempt! My neighbor's cat had a surprise litter. My neighbor give a 6 week old orange male kitten to me knowing that I always wanted two cats. If Rose doesn't get along with him, then I will never try this again. The first 3 days both Rose and the kitten are in separate rooms, with one hour of scent swapping each day. On the fourth day I let them stay in the same room for one hour and see how things goes. As usual, Rose is hissing and growling. She even would go up to the kitten and smack him in the head. I was about to separate them again, then the kitten's reaction shocked me. He doesn't seem to be scared of Rose and he is too busy trying to fall asleep. He just let Rose hiss at him while trying to take a nap. He is too oblivious to what is happening around him and just want to nap. Since the kitten is not scared and Rose is mostly just hissing at him, I decided to let them stay in the same room.

After about 15 minutes of hissing and no response from the kitten, Rose's behavior changed suddenly. She started to sneak behind the kitten and try to sniff him. Later in the day, I had a joint feeding session and Rose is okay with the new kitten eating next to her. She hissed once when the kitten wanted to try food from her bowl. After eating, Rose would watch the kitten nap from a distance. After around another 20 minutes, Rose suddenly ran towards the new kitten and just touch him in the head. She also is showing willingness to play with the new kitten! I did it! Rose finally have a sibling now!

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
That's awesome news! I'm sure Rose and the new kitten will be best friends for years to come. Have you decided on a name for the new kitten yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macyaji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's awesome news! I'm sure Rose and the new kitten will be best friends for years to come. Have you decided on a name for the new kitten yet?
Thank you for your response! Haven't decided on a name yet, most likely will have a name for him by the end of this week!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello macyaji macyaji , congratulations! :clap:

It was a pretty fast process in just 4 days for Rose to accept the new kitty.

I guess the kitty played a big part in it by not retaliating and just go to sleep. As cats are nosey and like to check out new things, they go by batting and hissing to see if the object is a threat to them.

Well, the kitty did not budge and Rose felt it was not a threat and in turn went to sniff the kitty and found it safe. And so Rise accepted the new kitty :clap:

Do post photos of them together please :camera::camera::camera:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for your response! Haven't decided on a name yet, most likely will have a name for him by the end of this week!
I look forward to hearing what you come up with!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macyaji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello macyaji macyaji , congratulations! :clap:

It was a pretty fast process in just 4 days for Rose to accept the new kitty.

I guess the kitty played a big part in it by not retaliating and just go to sleep. As cats are nosey and like to check out new things, they go by batting and hissing to see if the object is a threat to them.

Well, the kitty did not budge and Rose felt it was not a threat and in turn went to sniff the kitty and found it safe. And so Rise accepted the new kitty :clap:

Do post photos of them together please :camera::camera::camera:
IMG_0594.JPG