I am so sore...

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my wisdom teeth out on Thursday 7/01 and I am so sore and my face is really swollen this morning.
I've already taken my last antibiotic pill and a pain pill this morning, so now I am laying in bed with ice packs on each side of my face and playing games in the arcade.
I can't wait till the swelling goes down and I can eat solid foods again...

Have you had your wisdom teeth removed? How old were you at the time? I'm 21, and I also cried my eyes out when we walked into the office because I was so horrified... ugh.

bella_donna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor you, I had my wisdom teeth out when I was 26. I had general anasthetic so I reckon they really pulled me about. Couldn't open my mouth properly for several days and had to eat liquidised food. Also felt really weepy for a while after.
The swelling will go down in a few days - chin up, you are over the worst

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the anesthesia too, I told them that I wanted to be out and not have to hear or see or feel anything. I was dreading the appointment ever since I went to the consultation the week before.
That's how I feel, I can't open my mouth very far and even brushing my teeth feels hard to do.
All I've been eating is pudding, jello, yogurt and ice cream. I want solid food again already.
But I am glad to have the surgery over with, that was definitely the worst part.

bella_donna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not having solid food is THE worst part. I had liquidised chicken potatoes and veg which was weird, a bit like baby food but it tasted nice! I craved for a curry and one night managed some curry sauce which was heaven.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a molar and a wisdom tooth removed Tuesday evening, so I'm definitely feeling your pain.
The first 3 days are the worst, today is day 4 for me and it's definitely better! I stayed awake, though, during the surgery and I'm told the recovery is faster that way.

Beware of dry socket - last time I had an impacted wisdom tooth taken out and got a dry socket, and BOY does that hurt! They tell you to rinse with salt water but don't mention to rinse super-gently, and not to spit - you have to let it drip out of your mouth. I believe that was my downfall last time.

You might want to slow down on the sugary stuff, too. Oatmeal, plain yogurt, wheat farina, cottage cheese, and scrambled eggs will give you protein which you need to heal, without depositing sugar all over your teeth and the surgery site.

I'm having a rough time finding things to eat since I can not have anything with little seeds (or nuts) and I basically live off of fruit (berries), seeds, and nuts. We have raspberries and strawberries ripe in our garden and I'm missing out. And no popcorn for 2 months! That's the entire summer!

This time I got hydromorphone for the pain and I'm feeling good! I'm not playing so well on my video games but I blame the morphine.
Usually pain killers don't work very well for me but this one's a winner. Hope you have a rapid recovery!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella_Donna

Not having solid food is THE worst part. I had liquidised chicken potatoes and veg which was weird, a bit like baby food but it tasted nice! I craved for a curry and one night managed some curry sauce which was heaven.
OMG I've been craving so many things, it's like food sounds so much better when you can't have it! That does sound kind of weird, having stuff like that as liquid would seem really strange to me.

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I had a molar and a wisdom tooth removed Tuesday evening, so I'm definitely feeling your pain.
The first 3 days are the worst, today is day 4 for me and it's definitely better! I stayed awake, though, during the surgery and I'm told the recovery is faster that way.

Beware of dry socket - last time I had an impacted wisdom tooth taken out and got a dry socket, and BOY does that hurt! They tell you to rinse with salt water but don't mention to rinse super-gently, and not to spit - you have to let it drip out of your mouth. I believe that was my downfall last time.

You might want to slow down on the sugary stuff, too. Oatmeal, plain yogurt, wheat farina, cottage cheese, and scrambled eggs will give you protein which you need to heal, without depositing sugar all over your teeth and the surgery site.

I'm having a rough time finding things to eat since I can not have anything with little seeds (or nuts) and I basically live off of fruit (berries), seeds, and nuts. We have raspberries and strawberries ripe in our garden and I'm missing out. And no popcorn for 2 months! That's the entire summer!

This time I got hydromorphone for the pain and I'm feeling good! I'm not playing so well on my video games but I blame the morphine.
Usually pain killers don't work very well for me but this one's a winner. Hope you have a rapid recovery!
Oh wow, so I'm not the only one going through it right now.
I can't imagine staying awake through the surgery though! Hopefully tomorrow I'll start feeling a bit better then. Yeah I've heard of that and have been trying to avoid it. Doesn't sound too fun.

I suppose that's a good idea, thanks! I'll have to look into some of that stuff. Oatmeal sounds kind of good right about now. My cousin said she had macaroni after her surgery, but ate it one piece at a time.
Wow, that must not be too fun for you right now. =/

Heh, I've been playing TCS arcade games and a few times, have caught myself from falling asleep in the middle of one.
I think the pain pills I'm using make me a bit sleepy. Thanks, I'm hoping it goes fast too, and hopefully it'll go quick for you also.

Originally Posted by CoolCat

Oh my god!...
Yeah that's how I was feeling all the way up until my surgery. Even now I'm still sort of saying that.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had mine out one at a time. My last one comes out July 12th and I am 28 years old!

One at a time is way easier because you can eat..you just chew on the opposite side!
Since I couldn't handle not eating, I opted for this way for each tooth.

I hope you heal up fast

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I had mine out one at a time. My last one comes out July 12th and I am 28 years old!

One at a time is way easier because you can eat..you just chew on the opposite side!
Since I couldn't handle not eating, I opted for this way for each tooth.

I hope you heal up fast
That sounds like a really good idea, but at the same time I don't know if I would want to go back more than once to have them out.
I didn't think the no-solid-food thing would be that bad, but now I'm going crazy.
My mom is going to make macaroni in a little while and I'm going to see how well I can eat it.

Thanks, and good luck getting the last one out~

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well to share some better news on wisdom teeth. I think I was in my later 20's when I had mine removed. I only had upper ones and there had grown in straight. So the oral surgeon removed them both in less than 3 minutes! It took longer for the novacaine to take effect. No problems with healing either. I had them out after work one day and went back to work the following morning.

Sometimes it can be that easy!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Well to share some better news on wisdom teeth. I think I was in my later 20's when I had mine removed. I only had upper ones and there had grown in straight. So the oral surgeon removed them both in less than 3 minutes! It took longer for the novacaine to take effect. No problems with healing either. I had them out after work one day and went back to work the following morning.

Sometimes it can be that easy!
Wow! Sounds like it was really easy for you.
Besides swelling up and being sore, nothing bad has happened... yet. *knock on wood*

Unfortunately my bottom two were impacted and weren't going to erupt, so they just took all four while they were at it. Sounds like it went really well since they got them all out and then stitched up in about 20 minutes.

Now my boyfriend needs to get his out, he has an impacted one that's really bothering him. I am at least glad that mine never bothered me.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*hugs*

I still have my bottom 2 wisdom teeth. I had the top 2 out in 1998 when I was 36. They were fully outside the gum, but way back almost behind my jaw bone and they were essentially useless because there were no teeth below them in my bottom jaw. They were hard to brush and caused my jaw to crack when I opened my mouth.

They were removed in my dentist's office 1 week apart from each other just with local freezing. No stitches, no antibiotics and no pain medication: just plain Tylenol. I didn't have any swelling or much pain beyond a dull ache after each extraction and was back to work the next day.

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my upper and lower wisdom teeth on my right side extracted late Monday afternoon. So, believe me when I say that I, literally, feel your pain.

You can read the thread I posted earlier this week here: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217969.

I had my left upper wisdom tooth and a molar out back in April. And, while the procedure and recovery was painful, it was nothing like what I'm experiencing now. I'm on day 4/5 and I am just barely beginning to feel a little bit better. In fact, today was the first time that I was able to eat solid food. And, it was scrambled eggs at that! But, man, I have never enjoyed eggs so much! The rest of the week I struggled through by drinking Carnation Instant Breakfast and eating yogurt, pudding, Italian ice, and ice cream. I tried soups, but the heat was very uncomfortable. I don't think I've ever lusted after food as much as I have this week. And, yes, I said lusted

My mouth is still very swollen and the right side of my face is both visibly swollen and bruised. I can open my mouth a little bit more today than I have been over the last week, but it's still difficult to do much of anything. Talking is somewhat painful and I dread any time I have to sneeze or cough -- the pain is unbearable! But, I went for my check-up and the dentist said that everything appeared to be healing well. I had some trouble with the extraction of my lower right wisdom tooth and so that area experienced more trauma, but it's getting better. I have a medicinal-iron taste in my mouth and my breath hasn't been the best, but there's not much I can do for that right now. I am brushing my teeth as best I can and am rinsing 6+ times per day with warm salt water. It's just a terrible ordeal, but I am grateful that I had the teeth extracted. That leaves one more (the bottom left) that needs to be removed, but I bought myself some by having this extraction this past week.

Since you asked, I am 27 years old. I had let my teeth grow in, but it was very much to my detriment as they affected all of the surrounding teeth. Fortunately, I didn't have to be put under anesthesia, but I needed a lot of Novocain to get through the procedure. The dentist prescribed 20 days of antibiotics (Cipro -- 250mg 2x daily) and 10 days, give or take, of pain medication (Tylenol with Codeine (which doesn't touch the pain!) and Vicodin). I definitely recommend continuing with the soft foods and liquids and then gradually moving on. I've never had dry socket, but I don't want to either. And, follow eveything your dentist or oral surgeon tells you. The warm salt water rinses are a must! Also, frozen peas and corn can be your best friends as they mold to fit the shape of your face better than ice packs. I'm still using them on and off during the day and they are lifesavers! I know how terrible this all this, but, if I'm proof, it does get better. I have friends who recovered almost immediately and I've met people, like myself, who take longer to recover (but I have other health issues too). But, eventually, the pain and discomfort will lessen. You're through with the hard(est) part -- it can only get better from here!

Feel better. I'm here if you just need an ear as I know how painful this whole scenario is. Take care of you
!

ladyhitchhiker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had mine out when I was 27.

They were growing sideways and impacted. I could barely talk I was so inflamed BEFORE the surgery. So I went into the office, they put me into twilight land and took out ONLY ONE. I remember swearing at the doctor and calling him foul names because he couldn't take them all out but he said I was screaming in pain. Don't remember that. So then I had to go in for surgery to get the rest out.

Only one got a little bit of dry socket.

Just follow the dentist's aftercare instructions. Don't sway from them. You will thank me later

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never had my wisdom teeth taken out. I hope you're feeling better real soon. By the way, I am definitely afraid of dentists and hate going.

ladyhitchhiker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm with ya LaRussa. I'd rather have both my legs broken than go to the dentist, but sometimes, sometimes you gotta go.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

*hugs*

I still have my bottom 2 wisdom teeth. I had the top 2 out in 1998 when I was 36. They were fully outside the gum, but way back almost behind my jaw bone and they were essentially useless because there were no teeth below them in my bottom jaw. They were hard to brush and caused my jaw to crack when I opened my mouth.

They were removed in my dentist's office 1 week apart from each other just with local freezing. No stitches, no antibiotics and no pain medication: just plain Tylenol. I didn't have any swelling or much pain beyond a dull ache after each extraction and was back to work the next day.
Eek, my bottom ones were the problem. My jaw would crack a lot when I opened my mouth also.
I have no idea if getting them removed helped since I can't open it all the way yet, but I suppose I'll find out soon.

Wow, that would freak me out. One of the options at the place I went to was numbing shots while you were wide awake and could drive yourself home afterwards.
I made sure they knew that I wanted to be asleep and not know what was going on till well after they were done.

They put dissolvable stitches in and I've been taking pain pills. I had antibiotic pills that I had to take once a day for three days and finished yesterday. My face isn't as swollen as yesterday and I've been trying carefully to eat solid foods.
Had macaroni yesterday and a soft slice of cheese pizza today. Definitely looking forward to getting healed up and back to the regular foods I was eating before.

Originally Posted by Alison Joy

I had my upper and lower wisdom teeth on my right side extracted late Monday afternoon. So, believe me when I say that I, literally, feel your pain.

You can read the thread I posted earlier this week here: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217969.

I had my left upper wisdom tooth and a molar out back in April. And, while the procedure and recovery was painful, it was nothing like what I'm experiencing now. I'm on day 4/5 and I am just barely beginning to feel a little bit better. In fact, today was the first time that I was able to eat solid food. And, it was scrambled eggs at that! But, man, I have never enjoyed eggs so much! The rest of the week I struggled through by drinking Carnation Instant Breakfast and eating yogurt, pudding, Italian ice, and ice cream. I tried soups, but the heat was very uncomfortable. I don't think I've ever lusted after food as much as I have this week. And, yes, I said lusted

My mouth is still very swollen and the right side of my face is both visibly swollen and bruised. I can open my mouth a little bit more today than I have been over the last week, but it's still difficult to do much of anything. Talking is somewhat painful and I dread any time I have to sneeze or cough -- the pain is unbearable! But, I went for my check-up and the dentist said that everything appeared to be healing well. I had some trouble with the extraction of my lower right wisdom tooth and so that area experienced more trauma, but it's getting better. I have a medicinal-iron taste in my mouth and my breath hasn't been the best, but there's not much I can do for that right now. I am brushing my teeth as best I can and am rinsing 6+ times per day with warm salt water. It's just a terrible ordeal, but I am grateful that I had the teeth extracted. That leaves one more (the bottom left) that needs to be removed, but I bought myself some by having this extraction this past week.

Since you asked, I am 27 years old. I had let my teeth grow in, but it was very much to my detriment as they affected all of the surrounding teeth. Fortunately, I didn't have to be put under anesthesia, but I needed a lot of Novocain to get through the procedure. The dentist prescribed 20 days of antibiotics (Cipro -- 250mg 2x daily) and 10 days, give or take, of pain medication (Tylenol with Codeine (which doesn't touch the pain!) and Vicodin). I definitely recommend continuing with the soft foods and liquids and then gradually moving on. I've never had dry socket, but I don't want to either. And, follow eveything your dentist or oral surgeon tells you. The warm salt water rinses are a must! Also, frozen peas and corn can be your best friends as they mold to fit the shape of your face better than ice packs. I'm still using them on and off during the day and they are lifesavers! I know how terrible this all this, but, if I'm proof, it does get better. I have friends who recovered almost immediately and I've met people, like myself, who take longer to recover (but I have other health issues too). But, eventually, the pain and discomfort will lessen. You're through with the hard(est) part -- it can only get better from here!

Feel better. I'm here if you just need an ear as I know how painful this whole scenario is. Take care of you
!
Seems like a few of us TCS members are going through it together!
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out in a bit.

Wow, hopefully you'll get to feeling better soon.
I'm guessing you were awake for the surgery? And I completely agree about the food thing, I do like the soft foods I got, but at the same time, when you know you can't have other stuff, you start to want it even more.

My mom said she noticed that the side of my face might be starting to bruise a little, kind of hard for me to tell though... I hope not. I'm also having a hard time getting my mouth open very far, even brushing my teeth when I get up is hard.
Laughing even hurts, so I don't like when I see or hear something funny because I know it's not going to feel too good.

It's good to hear that your healing is going well though.
Hopefully it'll stay that way and you'll also get to feeling better. When I went to the dentist back in November, they did x-rays and told me I really needed to make an appointment to have them removed. I started getting nervous and wanted to keep putting it off, but at the same time really wanted them out before they could start causing problems.

Wow, 20 days of antibiotic pills?
That sounds so crazy! Seems like you have quite a bit of medications for yours, compared to mine anyways. And any advice I can get from the posts in this thread is great.
I've been worried about doing something wrong even though I have instructions and whatnot, and most of my relatives have had theirs removed already and have been helping. One of my aunts got her's out at 40 and said she took about two weeks to heal. Mine came out days ago and I am feeling much better already.

Thanks, hopefully you'll get to feeling better soon also!
I am so glad to have the surgery out of the way, that was definitely the worst part, I was horrified.
I'll do that, and if you have any more advice or whatnot, feel free to let me know, too.

Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker

I had mine out when I was 27.

They were growing sideways and impacted. I could barely talk I was so inflamed BEFORE the surgery. So I went into the office, they put me into twilight land and took out ONLY ONE. I remember swearing at the doctor and calling him foul names because he couldn't take them all out but he said I was screaming in pain. Don't remember that. So then I had to go in for surgery to get the rest out.

Only one got a little bit of dry socket.

Just follow the dentist's aftercare instructions. Don't sway from them. You will thank me later

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Ick, that's how mine were, they were pushing into the molars in front of them, but I never felt them or really knew they were in there. Wow, were you asleep during surgery? That sounds really scary!
I've been trying to be really careful about everything to avoid dry socket, and have been doing well so far. Hopefully it will stay that way and I'll heal up just fine.
And thanks, I'm really hoping that will be the case, too!

Originally Posted by LaRussa

I never had my wisdom teeth taken out. I hope you're feeling better real soon. By the way, I am definitely afraid of dentists and hate going.
Wow, you are really lucky! I had always hoped I would be lucky enough to not have problems and they could just stay in, but that didn't happen.
It does feel nice to know they're out though. I agree, I have never liked going to any dentist at ALL. They scare me, even just going in for a cleaning. So when I went to the one in Nov. and they told me I needed to make an appointment with a surgeon to have my wisdom teeth removed and if I didn't soon, they would cause big problems... I about died! I was so scared that I got out to my car and started crying about it.