I am so mad I could just spit! (venting)

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to burst your bubble, but if your dog gets out and goes onto someone else's property, it is your responsibility, and yours alone.It is your responsibility to keep your dog under control to prevent it from killing other people's pets at all times,  the only exception being when other people's pets enter your yard.

Your argument holds up ONLY if the cat is caught by your dog in your yard.

If you think the owner of the cat is to blame if their cat gets killed by your dog outside your yard, it is your responsibility if your dog gets killed by the cat owner outside your yard, too.
You can't have the cat owner shirk all responsibility, depending on the situation. Sure, if a neighbor's dog escapes and attacks your cat, then that neighbor is 100% at fault. However, if you know that there are dogs roaming around freely a lot of the time, even though it is those dogs' owners' responsibility to control them, you are just as much to blame if you let your cat outside and something bad happens. I'm not saying that you have to live with that scenario, nor am I saying that the dog owner is any less to blame, but at that point you do have a responsibility to your cat to not let it outside until you have found a way to deal with the dog problem.

jiskefet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now you are turning the thing around.

You were the one saying that the cat owner was to blame, even if the dog is loose outside his own property, which is not true.

The dog owner ia always 100% responsible for any damage caused by the dog in the public space and on other people's property.

I do agree the cat owner has a responsibility, too, but it is the DOG OWNER's responsibility, and his alone, to make sure his dog does not attack any animal or person outside the owner's private territory.

And not just that, the dog owner is legally liable for any damages caused by the dog outside his own territory.

Last edited:

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now you are turning the thing around.

You were the one saying that the cat owner was to blame, even if the dog is loose outside his own property, which is not true.
Huh? Are you responding to me? I never said anything in this thread before my response to you, other than mentioning it was the right thing to do to take the dogs away.

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats go out *shrug* cats are wild animals in "tame" bodies, if a dog can go out, then why shouldn't a cat?
We think they are owned by the people across the street who favor those kind of dogs.
to the OP though, exactly what kinds of dogs are you referring to? dogs who chase cats in general? or a certain breed? hate to break it to you, dogs = predators, cat = predators, predator + predator = compitition.

alot of dogs will chase cats and other small animals even if they are trained, just because a dog is not trained does not make it a "filthy creature", dogs are not cats, they are not constantly cleaning themselves, and yes dogs kept outside will be dirty.

I've known just as many dog agressive cats, my neighbors used to have a 27 pound main coon who would attack and KILL foxes, granted most cats would win in a fight with a fox, but to kill one, and these were healthy foxes this cat killed too.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really feel sorry for these poor dogs.  If it's like most areas they will be held for a 10 day quarantine then be put down because they had owners that weren't responsible.  They not only didn't have required rabies vaccination but they didn't socialize and give their dogs basic obedience training.  Now the dogs which probably have not had a very happy life will pay the ultimate price.