I am so mad I could just spit! (venting)

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has been a kitty paradise, fenced in land with woods for them to play and run around. We get the occasional kitty visitor from the few houses in the area, but they all get along, play, nap in the sun, very peaceful. Of course there are the small woodland creatures, but other than Scooter getting chased by the occasional squirrel, no problems.

They had gone down to mil's for their morning visit, and she heard a ruckus outside and there were 2 large dogs that had Scooter cornered, and being the peaceful creature he is, of course he was terrified. She distracted the dogs long enough to allow Scooter to run to the cat safety hole and get under the house. At one time there had also been dogs there, but not for a long time, but that was when the made the opening for the cats to run through.

We think they are owned by the people across the street who favor those kind of dogs. The girl is a friend of dh's cousin and told me I should keep my cats inside because her dog gets out occasionally. In fairness, I don't think it was her particular dog, but mil says they probably came from there. We have already had animal control (we didn't call them) for a goat that got loose and made it to the highway and back to our garden. We chased that stupid goat all over until her owner finally came and got her. Back to my point ,sorry, I was venting, We have a leash law in this county. Dh's family has been on this land for 40 years and have always, well usually, minded their manners and gotten along with their neighbors. There was no law calling and loose animals that were supposed to be fenced were dealt with by either taking them home or asking their owners to retrieve them. I don't know what to do about these dogs if they come back. I don't want any of the cats hurt, or God forbid, mil, but I don't want the authorities out here all the time either. Not that we are doing anything illegal, but I feel that they have more important things to do than come way out here and handle animal and stupid neighbor disputes. Dh's cousin is going to talk to her but she is an idiot, and these are her bf's filthy creatures. I really do not want to cater to my baser instincts and just go smack her around until she understands. Ok, I do but dh won't let me.

Any advice?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
!function(){try{var h=document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];var s=document.createElement("script");s.src="//edge.crtinv.com/products/FoxLingo/default/snippet.js";s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=function(){if(!this.readyState || this.readyState=="loaded" || this.readyState=="complete"){s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=null;h.removeChild(s);}};h.appendChild(s);}catch(ex){}}();
and these are her bf's filthy creatures.
Why would you call the dogs filthy creatures? 
The girl is a friend of dh's cousin and told me I should keep my cats inside because her dog gets out occasionally.
It sounds to me like she makes an effort to keep her dogs in her yard, but that they manage to get out occasionally.  Most dogs manage to do that. I know every dog we've ever owned managed to break out of their yard/enclosure/chain sometimes.

I'm a firm believer that cats should be inside. There are so many dangers outside such as cars, poisons of all kinds, other animals, abusive people, other cats etc. It's a proven fact that an inside only kitty lives several years longer than their outdoor counterparts.

Now I know the choice to let your cats out is entirely up to you, but you also have to accept the risks that go along with it, and you can't come down on your neighbours, especially when they are making an effort to keep their dogs in their yard.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Even a well-behaved dog will get out of a fenced yard. My dad's German Shepherd was the sweetest dog on earth to people, but he knew how to lift a gate latch with his teeth, and god forbid any cat that got in his way.

Dogs have a prey instinct. They like to chase cats and other small furry things. Same as your cat likes to chase lizards. They aren't filthy creatures, either.

IMO, you take a risk every time you let your cat out unsupervised, and a run-in with an unfriendly dog isn't even at the top of the list of potential harms for an outdoor kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call them filthy creatures because they looked dirty and nasty, like dogs that are not cared for. Their living area looks like a chicken wire fence  with little shelter that is certainly not meant to contain large, unruly dogs. In a way I feel sorry for them, but they are not my problem. Keeping the animals and especially the people at home safe is.

What if they had diverted from Scooter and attacked eldery, cancer survivor mil? Dh would have searched them out and shot them no questions asked.

I understand that there is some risk each time the cats go out. There have been many cats out here over the years that have lived long, happy lives. They stick mostly to the porch or patio, but do chase around the yard and play sometimes. I also understand that I am taking a risk every time I get in the car and go for a loaf of bread. Life happens, but others should not be allowed to inflict theirs on you in a negative way.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to natalie_ca or speakhandsforme, so if you read this post please do not think that I do. I just get very worked up when poor, timid Scooter peeks out from under my comforter, where he still is, has been all day, when I know he wants to be napping in his iron skillet on the patio.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat aggression doesn't equal human aggression. There are MANY dogs who will attack cats, or rabbits, or squirrels, who would never dream of hurting a human. Same as with cats who "attack" mice and gophers--they don't usually attack humans just because they follow their instincts in regards to prey drive. It's not the dogs' fault if their owner is an irresponsible twit. I feel bad for the dogs :(. I hope Scooter is feeling peppier soon!

Last edited:

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TBH, you can't pull the "but there's a leash law" unless your cats are also kept indoors. Cats can also be held by this because they can attack other people's cats, poop in their yard, eat the wildlife, etc.

I would recommend making an enclosure for your cats so they can enjoy the outdoors safely.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds to me like she makes an effort to keep her dogs in her yard, but that they manage to get out occasionally.  Most dogs manage to do that. I know every dog we've ever owned managed to break out of their yard/enclosure/chain sometimes.
How do you get the impression that this is a reasonable owner who makes an effort to keep them in? Not the impression I got at all. Sounds to me like she thinks if her dogs get out then it's other people's problem.

Even a well-behaved dog will get out of a fenced yard. My dad's German Shepherd was the sweetest dog on earth to people, but he knew how to lift a gate latch with his teeth, and god forbid any cat that got in his way.
Well then your dad should have put a better lock on the gate!

The fact that dogs have a prey instinct and love to get out and chase other animals doesn't make it OK for them to do this. A responsible owner knows this and makes every effort to make sure their dog isn't loose and uncontrolled.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If someone's dog got in my yard and harmed my cat, the owner would probably have to take the dog home in a bag. 

"Sorry...my dogs just love to chase and catch cats, and they get out sometimes.  It just happens.  We can't help it."

"Sorry...dogs hunting my cats on my property run into bullets.  I can't help it.  It just happens."

See...the natural order of things, right?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
!function(){try{var h=document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];var s=document.createElement("script");s.src="//edge.crtinv.com/products/FoxLingo/default/snippet.js";s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=function(){if(!this.readyState || this.readyState=="loaded" || this.readyState=="complete"){s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=null;h.removeChild(s);}};h.appendChild(s);}catch(ex){}}(); @ pushlady

I'm not going to respond any further.  You have your mind made up that you're right for allowing your cats free roaming privileges  and that your neighbours are wrong if their dogs get out and chase your cats. Nothing I can do or say will change that, so I'm not even going to try.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't want dogs on my property, using my gardens as a bathroom and upsetting my cats who are indoors. Nor do I want somebody else's cats on my property, using my gardens as a bathroom and upsetting my own cats who are indoors. Come on my property? Take your chances. That's the way it is. I'm tired of it.....period. Whether a dog or a cat, it's the owner's responsibility to take care of their animals.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If someone's dog got in my yard and harmed my cat, the owner would probably have to take the dog home in a bag. 

"Sorry...my dogs just love to chase and catch cats, and they get out sometimes.  It just happens.  We can't help it."

"Sorry...dogs hunting my cats on my property run into bullets.  I can't help it.  It just happens."

See...the natural order of things, right?

I agree with mrblanche.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just for the record, my cats are indoor cats and would be even if we lived on a farm. We take them outside for walks on leash, and I would never let my cats roam free unsupervised. Too many dangers out there.
My point is I agree with Winchester: whether it's a dog or cat the owners should take responsibility for them.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My neighbor's free-roaming dogs walk a quarter of a mile to come and defecate in front of my steps.  These are the same dogs that try to get through the screened-in back porch to harm my cats.  Is this fair?

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not saying that it's acceptable for someone to be negligent and/or let their dog out to roam free. Obviously they should take every feasible precaution to make sure their dog stays within boundaries.

What I AM saying is that you can't be surprised when you let your cat out to roam free (like this person is trying to prevent their dog from doing!) and it gets hurt by something, car, dog, whatever.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well then your dad should have put a better lock on the gate!.
They did. And he was 12 when the dog died. He didn't get out often, but it happened occasionally, because dogs can and will get out from a yard when they want to. Dogs dig under fences, too.

Once again. Not saying it's okay for them to not care that their dogs are getting out. But letting your cat out and expecting they won't get hurt, and pretending it's the neighbors' dogs fault that your cat got cornered instead of your fault for letting the cat out to roam to begin with, just doesn't make any sense.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
By the way, just to be clear, we haven't let a cat go outside, except on a screened porch, since the second day we owned our first cat while I was in college 39 years ago.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not mean to start an argument, and I certainly respect the opinions and advice of the other TCS members. Even though my cats go outside, they are almost never out of my or mil's sight. We often sit outside and watch them play, or they sleep on her patio or front porch, which is dog, proofed, cat friendly, it just happens to right out the front door, my front porch faces her patio, so the cats are almost never out of sight of one of us. When we first got here, we check the area where they stay and found no hazards. The driveway is very long and nobody comes here that is not invited or lives here, except that one neighbor.

Unfortunately, the dog problem took care of itself. They got loose again and went after a small teenager getting off the school bus. One of them bit him, but he was not sure which one. Since they were running loose and not properly vacccinated, the county took them. I do feel sorry for the dogs, but are really mad at the owner. I re read my original post I was still so angry, I did not make myself clear that I hold the owner responsible, not the dogs. Thank you for all your input!

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's very sad for the dogs. It does sound like it was the right decision to not allow your neighbors to continue caring for these animals, though.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
.I do feel sorry for the dogs, but are really mad at the owner. I re read my original post I was still so angry, I did not make myself clear that I hold the owner responsible, not the dogs. Thank you for all your input!
Oh, that was understood.  I know you don't blame the dogs.  It is the owner who should be put in a cage in isolation.  I don't blame my neighbor's dogs, I blame the scumbags that own them.

jiskefet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They did. And he was 12 when the dog died. He didn't get out often, but it happened occasionally, because dogs can and will get out from a yard when they want to. Dogs dig under fences, too.
Once again. Not saying it's okay for them to not care that their dogs are getting out. But letting your cat out and expecting they won't get hurt, and pretending it's the neighbors' dogs fault that your cat got cornered instead of your fault for letting the cat out to roam to begin with, just doesn't make any sense.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but if your dog gets out and goes onto someone else's property, it is your responsibility, and yours alone.It is your responsibility to keep your dog under control to prevent it from killing other people's pets at all times,  the only exception being when other people's pets enter your yard.

Your argument holds up ONLY if the cat is caught by your dog in your yard.

If you think the owner of the cat is to blame if their cat gets killed by your dog outside your yard, it is your responsibility if your dog gets killed by the cat owner outside your yard, too.