I Am Looking For A Litter Box

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now that I finally found a litter that I like, one that lasts and doesn't require a special litter box system I am planning on upgrading my litter boxes. I need to find boxes that are weighted or bottom heavy. The original papa was a very large long haired cat which has led to a line of cats that weigh in at well over 13 lbs, maybe up to 18 and they knock over the litter box.
I have 1 blind cat and 1 with a spinal issue that makes him a clumsy jumper so the boxes still have to be easy access.
I appreciate any ideas.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need all the help I can get.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're in just about the best place - the members here are terrific and full of experience and knowledge.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
there's a website called cat-litter-critic, the only reason I'm mentioning it is because of the photo he posted of a big tub, cut out cat access, pee pad in front and even a grate for the cat to walk over, I assume to ensure the litter gets off.
Anyway, I found it by typing homemade litter box into my search engine.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some large gray litter boxes i found at walmart. But i also use a few of those under the bed storage boxes :) they are fairly low but some of them are wider and longer than i can find in a regular litter box.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
there's a website called cat-litter-critic, the only reason I'm mentioning it is because of the photo he posted of a big tub, cut out cat access, pee pad in front and even a grate for the cat to walk over, I assume to ensure the litter gets off.
Anyway, I found it by typing homemade litter box into my search engine.
I will look at the site. Right now we are considering gluing wood to the bottom to add weight or some sort of stabilizer.

I like Jumbo or Giant size litter boxes. Once you have 3 inches of clumping litter in those, they don't tip over.
My litter is too light weight. We don't have trash service so we really needed to use something lightweight, clay is too heavy.
As a result they are too light in the bottom and tip. The walnut litter was heavy enough and long lasting too but one of the cats is allergic so I can't use it.

I have some large gray litter boxes i found at walmart. But i also use a few of those under the bed storage boxes :) they are fairly low but some of them are wider and longer than i can find in a regular litter box.
I switched to storage containers too. They work great but still tip over.

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You mentioned gluing wood to the bottom of the box. This doesn't seem like a bad idea to add weight and to stabilize. Is there an issue attaching something to the bottom of the box? If you are able to visit a home improvement store, and willing to spend a few dollars, there are a lot of things that could potentially work instead of wood. Certain types of flooring in the form of tile (very thin, decent weight) are often available in individual square foot pieces. The landscaping brick I used to stabilize my cat's scratching post is only 1" thick, is quite heavy, and cost less than 2 dollars. I am all about custom cat stuff. If you already use a storage container for a litter box it may be worth consideration to simply modify it (like you mentioned about gluing wood to the bottom) as opposed to spending a great deal of money on some type of specialty box.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There really isn't a problem with adding ceramic tile or something. It just hadn't occurred to us.
I also found a litter box online that looks good. It is expensive but I am going to order it in 2 weeks to give it a try.
Modding the existing boxes is still my preference though.

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right on. If modding the existing box is your preference but you are choosing to buy an expensive box I would be curious as to which litter box you picked out and why you chose to do so as opposed to fixing the current one. Any specific reasons?

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I prefer to mod what I have already paid for. Adding ceramic tiles or something to the bottom to give it some weight is something I am going to try. I need to buy tiles which means waiting 2 weeks to have to go to Habitat for Humanity.
Last night I was surfing around and came across the Lucky Champ litter pan. I like the design. It looks stable. Honestly buying an extra litter pan just to give it a try will just add another litter box to my house. I have more than 2 cats, I mentioned those 2 specifically to rule out suggestions of deep storage container litter boxes or deep totes with holes cut in the lid.
I was also toying with the idea of growing grass in shallow storage totes for the cats to sleep in so even if I liked the new box and phased it in, the modded boxes would still get used.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use drywall/concrete mixing tub from Home Depot. Plasgad Medium Mixing Tub. The Large is 20 gallon and it's just TOO big. The Medium is 11 gallon and it's PERFECT for a big cat. The bottom is smooth, the corners are rounded. Make scooping easy. LOTS heavier/thicker/sturdier than our other litter boxes. The top edges are rolled/rounded as well which makes cleaning and wiping it down easy.
I use half a bag of litter in it. (15 or 20lbs). Sorry, I don't remember what the bag of litter weighs, but, I use about half of it when completely changing it.
My cat weighs 35lbs and perches all four paws on the edge of it to do his stuff. (Looks very "precarious"). LOL.
He's never tipped it over though.
Your "typical" litter box? When he was smaller he kept tipping them over, and finally broke the sides out of two of them standing on the edge.
The best part, That medium tub is $5.75

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was also toying with the idea of growing grass in shallow storage totes for the cats to sleep in so even if I liked the new box and phased it in, the modded boxes would still get used.
A storage tote with grass growing in it? A large, self contained indoor space with grass for a cat to lay/sleep in?

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use drywall/concrete mixing tub from Home Depot. Plasgad Medium Mixing Tub. The Large is 20 gallon and it's just TOO big. The Medium is 11 gallon and it's PERFECT for a big cat. The bottom is smooth, the corners are rounded. Make scooping easy. LOTS heavier/thicker/sturdier than our other litter boxes. The top edges are rolled/rounded as well which makes cleaning and wiping it down easy.
I use half a bag of litter in it. (15 or 20lbs). Sorry, I don't remember what the bag of litter weighs, but, I use about half of it when completely changing it.
My cat weighs 35lbs and perches all four paws on the edge of it to do his stuff. (Looks very "precarious"). LOL.
He's never tipped it over though.
Your "typical" litter box? When he was smaller he kept tipping them over, and finally broke the sides out of two of them standing on the edge.
The best part, That medium tub is $5.75
Well that's a reason to go to Home Depot. I usually go to Lowes.
It sounds like a good recommendation. I don't use clay litter so the litter isn't heavy anyway.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A storage tote with grass growing in it? A large, self contained indoor space with grass for a cat to lay/sleep in?
Yeah, it feels cool and they can chew on it. They love grass.
I got the idea when I was kenneling some kittens in my shed. There was an old planter in the outdoor play area that had grass growing in it and it was their preferred place to sleep.
Last year I had potted wild flowers outside and the feral cats slept on them. I don't keep houseplants anyway so there wouldn't be any confusion.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that's a reason to go to Home Depot. I usually go to Lowes.
It sounds like a good recommendation. I don't use clay litter so the litter isn't heavy anyway.
Lowes may have them also. You can go HD online, find that box, and look it over. Then go to Lowes and see if they have the same. Just make sure you get one with all the benefits I listed above. That way, no regrets.
I think something corrugated (not smooth) would be horrible to scoop.
Should be fine with lightweight litter for even a big house cat.
Mine's 35lbs, perches on the edge to do his thing. So, the clay litter weight does more than just "help". LOL

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure about a tote with grass in it. Planters need to drain. Maybe punch holes in it and put something under it to catch the water?

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I had trash service I might use clay, maybe. I really liked the stuff at Tractor Supply but we have convenience station instead of trash pick up so we have to be able to lift the trash cans. Clay was too heavy.

Not sure about a tote with grass in it. Planters need to drain. Maybe punch holes in it and put something under it to catch the water?
That was one of the reasons I haven't done it yet. I don't want a catch tray because I don't want them to drink the water. I had thought about just misting it until it gets to a length I like and then letting it dry because they like dry grass too.
I don't know. Even if the totes just end up outside in the garden eventually they won't go to waste.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I had trash service I might use clay, maybe. I really liked the stuff at Tractor Supply but we have convenience station instead of trash pick up so we have to be able to lift the trash cans. Clay was too heavy.

That was one of the reasons I haven't done it yet. I don't want a catch tray because I don't want them to drink the water. I had thought about just misting it until it gets to a length I like and then letting it dry because they like dry grass too.
I don't know. Even if the totes just end up outside in the garden eventually they won't go to waste.
We "had" two lime trees in our sunroom. Large pots. Tabby kept digging all the dirt out of them. Gibs would try to tackle the whole trees. :lol:
Had to move the lime trees to a cat free area.