Hyperthyroidism Treated With Specialty Food

snowyowl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. My hyperthyroid cat has been very itchy and my vet thinks it's a reaction from taking thyroid medicine so I was told to switch him slowly over to Hill's brand thyroid food as I wean him off of pills. Hill's seems to be the only company that makes thyroid food. I've heard Hill's brands are awful and to stay away from them. Does anyone know of another brand that makes thyroid control food? After doing a bit of research- some people on different websites say that Hill's thyroid food isn't completely balanced. Anyone treated their hyperthyroid cat with this food? What were the results? My cat is also at the very beginning stages of kidney disease.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat was hyperthyroid. She was diagnosed August 2016 and put on pills, but these gave her some stomach issues and we had to switch to eargel, that was much better, both for me (easier to administer) and for her.
My vet also wanted me to try with Hill's Y/D food, dry and wet, along with the meds (not alone).
My cat refused to eat that food!

Other vets I had asked told me that Hill's Y/D is almost totally useless in HT control.

My cat was continued with her eargel until she was treated with radio iodine 9 months ago.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snowyowl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Antonio65. I don't have the option of radio iodine for my cat, way too expensive. Because my cat was allergic to the pill he'll also be allergic to the ear gel. I may have no choice but to give him this food (if I can't find another) for the rest of his life.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately Y/D is the only HT food on the market that I'm aware of, and I think it's patented, so other brands are cut out.
I do hope your cat will like it. And of course he must not eat anything else but Y/D.

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fortiflora added to cat food helps them eat better. My cat ate things when I used this that he won't eat now

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snowyowl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, he can't have any probiotics on this diet. I can't even continue to brush his teeth with toothpaste from the vet clinic. I have to use only tooth brush and water. And no catnip or anything other than his thyroid food. I have to follow strick rules or his treatment won't be effective.

zookcall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 13-year-old hyperthyroid cat had the classic symptoms of hair loss, vomiting, and weight loss despite a voracious appetite. Her blood work showed a T4 level of 12.1. She had a dangerous reaction to the oral methimazole and a skin reaction to the transdermal cream. I then tried all the natural supplements available which helped with some of her symptoms but then quit working after one year. Out of desperation I reluctantly bought the Science Diet Y/D recommended by my vet despite its lousy ingredients, however, my cat wouldn't eat either the dry or canned. After weeks of searching for a low iodine alternative to the Y/D, I found the Nature's Logic web site. This company's pet foods are made primarily of meats and other high quality protein sources (no soy to be found) combined with natural plant products to meet all nutritional standards. They do not add any synthetic vitamins or minerals. The iodine levels of four of their canned (NOT DRY) feline flavors fall between 0.25-0.34 mg/kg on a "dry matter" basis which is comparable to Y/D's 0.20 mg/kg. The four canned flavors are: SARDINE, RABBIT, CHICKEN, and DUCK & SALMON. My cat immediately dug into all of them and is still loving them today. After 3 months she gained back all her weight and no longer showed any signs of hyperthyroidism. A subsequent blood test confirmed her T4 level has dropped from 12.1 to 1.2 - WOW! Folks, this is proof that Nature's Logic provides an excellent alternative to Science Diet Y/D for our hyperthyroid kitties!