Hyperthyroid Female

rexinminn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our 13-year-old female dilute tabby Peanut started showing signs of hyperthyroidism the summer of 2016. We had no idea what it was at the time, but in Fall 2017 her blood panel proved she was HT. I initially considered radio-active Iodine treatment, but we chose to try different foods first, after learning the foods (all wet for the past ten years) had soy which is not a good thing for any cat. We're now feeding her Soulistic and Ziwi, with the occasional raw which is expensive but worth it, and we've completely eliminated tuna (too much iodine) and anything with tuna in it. Both cats (inc. Punkin, Peanut's sister) were throwing up a lot after eating chicken before we realized they'd developed a food sensitivity (not quite an allergy) to it, as is the case with many cats eating chicken. Her latest blood test is pending but we're considering Methimazole (aka Tapazole) or it counterpart Felinazole instead, and have wondered if other folks have any experience with this. We're seeing the vet in two weeks but I want to be as informed as possible when we do. Part of our concern is the daily tablets for the rest of her life, and wonder if the liquid form might be better. Or maybe we should just do the iodine treatment. Peanut is in great health otherwise, is very playful and alert, very social and overall a beautiful animal, and we want only the best for her.
PeanutFace-crop 1.jpg

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have experience with this. I just wanted to say she is a Beautiful girl! Wishing you guys the best luck, and health!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful Peanut!

My cat was diagnosed HT August 2016, like yours, she was initially treated with methimazole, at first with pills (Tapazole), but they would bother her stomach so we switched to eargel (methimazole).
We also tried with the specific food for HT cats, Hill's Y/D, but she disliked it.
She was treated with I-131 August 2017, nearly 8 months ago, and she's fine, very fine, now.

She's also intolerant to chicken and fish, she would vomit everyday right after her meal, so we changed her diet to cans of pork only.

In my opinion the I-131 treatment is the best option.
The methimazole is only covering, smoothing, the effects of the hyper hormone in her system and will never cure the disease. The thyroid cancer will grow anyway, and will damage her liver, kidneys, heart, and so on, whether you give her the pills or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rexinminn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do not have experience with this. I just wanted to say she is a Beautiful girl! Wishing you guys the best luck, and health!
Thank you so much. That means a lot!

rexinminn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wonderful Peanut!

My cat was diagnosed HT August 2016, like yours, she was initially treated with methimazole, at first with pills (Tapazole), but they would bother her stomach so we switched to eargel (methimazole).
We also tried with the specific food for HT cats, Hill's Y/D, but she disliked it.
She was treated with I-131 August 2017, nearly 8 months ago, and she's fine, very fine, now.

She's also intolerant to chicken and fish, she would vomit everyday right after her meal, so we changed her diet to cans of pork only.

In my opinion the I-131 treatment is the best option.
The methimazole is only covering, smoothing, the effects of the hyper hormone in her system and will never cure the disease. The thyroid cancer will grow anyway, and will damage her liver, kidneys, heart, and so on, whether you give her the pills or not.
Thank you so very much for you valuable input. This means a great deal to me. We've been wondering about the very same things you mention, with the stomach upset, etc. and don't want to put her through that if we can help it, so it's good to know you went ahead with the treatment and your cat is doing well now. How long was it after the treatment that she started to really be herself again? Doesn't it take a few months?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually my cat didn't show any of the classic symptoms of HT, she was lethargic rather than hyperactive, she had a lessen appetite rather than being always hungry, her coat was fine, and so on.
It is called apathetic HT.
She started to be a more normal herself about three months after the treatment.

The cons of the I-131 treatment is that the cat stays radioactive for a few weeks (3-4 weeks) and certain precautions must be taken, according to the guidelines, especially with the litter that can't be disposed of as you are doing now, but has to be stored in a safe place for up to 6 months!

The pills not only might give stomach issues, but also skin reactions or other minor troubles.
Luckily enough, my cat only had stomach issues, and they were promptly fixed by switching to the safer eargel.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My previous cat was HT, diagnosed after she lost a lot of weight for no apparent reason. Since she was older (14) and very timid, we decided that doing the I-131 would be too much for her, and opted to treat with Methamazole, which the vet gave us in a flavored chew, and she was more than happy to eat. Her weight stabilized and she seemed less nervous after we started her meds. The vet advised us to come back for yearly blood tests.

Wonderful Peanut!

We did not know this at the time, and it might have changed our approach. After the year had elapsed, we took her back to the vet (a different one this time, since we had moved in the meantime) and were informed that her thyroid levels were out of control and the HT had started to damage her heart. She was put on blood pressure meds and a blood thinner to prevent strokes. Getting her to take these pills, which were not available in chews, was a huge struggle, and we were successful maybe 70% of the time, despite trying many strategies and lots of stressful evenings. After a couple of months of this, her appetite dwindles to nothing, and despite a few more vet visits, an ultrasounds, and trying appetite stimulants, nothing seemed to work and she died, seemingly of a stroke.

One really important thing that I learned after she stopped eating and it was difficult to pill her is that some medicines, methamazole included, are available in a topic solution that you rub on the cat's ear. This was a godsend, since we could be sure that she was getting at least one of her meds regularly.

So maybe it wouldn't have mattered, but if I had it to do over again, I might well opt for the I-131 treatment. At the very least, I would've had her blood checked more frequently than the annual visit recommended by the vet.

Obviously, every cat is different, but I hope sharing that experience helps you and Peanut make the right decision for you guys. Wishing you both luck in dealing with this.

rexinminn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My previous cat was HT, diagnosed after she lost a lot of weight for no apparent reason. Since she was older (14) and very timid, we decided that doing the I-131 would be too much for her, and opted to treat with Methamazole, which the vet gave us in a flavored chew, and she was more than happy to eat. Her weight stabilized and she seemed less nervous after we started her meds. The vet advised us to come back for yearly blood tests.

We did not know this at the time, and it might have changed our approach. After the year had elapsed, we took her back to the vet (a different one this time, since we had moved in the meantime) and were informed that her thyroid levels were out of control and the HT had started to damage her heart. She was put on blood pressure meds and a blood thinner to prevent strokes. Getting her to take these pills, which were not available in chews, was a huge struggle, and we were successful maybe 70% of the time, despite trying many strategies and lots of stressful evenings. After a couple of months of this, her appetite dwindles to nothing, and despite a few more vet visits, an ultrasounds, and trying appetite stimulants, nothing seemed to work and she died, seemingly of a stroke.

One really important thing that I learned after she stopped eating and it was difficult to pill her is that some medicines, methamazole included, are available in a topic solution that you rub on the cat's ear. This was a godsend, since we could be sure that she was getting at least one of her meds regularly.

So maybe it wouldn't have mattered, but if I had it to do over again, I might well opt for the I-131 treatment. At the very least, I would've had her blood checked more frequently than the annual visit recommended by the vet.

Obviously, every cat is different, but I hope sharing that experience helps you and Peanut make the right decision for you guys. Wishing you both luck in dealing with this.
I'm so sorry about your kitty passing away. Yes, she died, and we hate to lose our best friends, but you did everything you could for her. I've been through this kind of pain and I know what's up ahead, and I dread it. But I also know we need to maximize the time we have with them by doing what we can. Thank goodness for the internet which has allowed us to give our girls the best lives they could have. Your input means a great deal to me, thank you so much for sharing your story with us, it will most assuredly make a difference when it comes to the treatment option we ultimately opt for.
I'm so sorry about your kitty passing away. Yes, she died, and we hate to lose our best friends, but you did everything you could for her. I've been through this kind of pain and I know what's up ahead, and I dread it. But I also know we need to maximize the time we have with them by doing what we can. Thank goodness for the internet which has allowed us to give our girls the best lives they could have. Your input means a great deal to me, thank you so much for sharing your story with us, it will most assuredly make a difference when it comes to the treatment option we ultimately opt for.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, rexinminn. I'm glad sharing that was helpful to you in making your decision, and I appreciate your sympathy. It's part of the commitment involved with adopting a cat, and they joy they bring us is well worth the pain of losing them eventually.

FaithandHope

Boogie
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I would definitely get Peanut the I 131 treatment as long as there's any chance she can have it. I am going through almost the same thing Ettare described with my 15 year old female cat now. She had lost quite a bit of weight and was diagnosed with hyperthyroid, but she wasn't eligible for the I 131treatment because she had an early marker for kidney disease. It's been about 9 months on the methimazole and she's not doing well. I eased her onto it after reading the side effects and she didn't have any problems at all. No where did I read about long term effects and the Vet never said anything besides needing to test every month for 3 months to get the right dosage and not cause the kidney disease to kick in. 9 months later she doesn't eat a lot, developed mats in her hair about 3 weeks ago (wont let me touch, I cut a few out & I think it was worse on her than the mats, so I stopped). The worst is as of last Thursday she has blood in her urine. So I'm trying to decide what to do. I have a full dose of amoxicillin I can mix up for her, but something tells me that's not it. She never had a uti before. I am feeling like this is my last weekend with her. I don't want her to suffer to make me happy, but she is still acting pretty normal and moving around the house normal too. I just wish I knew when is the time or that they could tell us. I live by myself so it's my decision and seems slightly more difficult if thats even possible we all love them so much. I have been through this with other pets. I would try the vet, anyvet but I have looked and haven't found one that even treats a first time customer with any decency. There's so many people in city w/ pets, vets don't care. Their next customer is right behind you. I am sure its hard on them after just a few years of the not so polite petowners they feel like they have to get hardened.-
I will always ask for the long-term effects and outcomes going forward.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I gave my hyperthyroid cat I-131. It’s the best treatment and also the cheapest if you expect your cat to live for more than a year or two. The problem is the big financial hit in the short term.

My cat got sick from methimazole, so that wasn’t on option for him and, in my opinion, the medical food option is worth considering only if you absolutely cannot do the other therapies.

Good luck with whatever you decide for Peanut, she’s beautiful.

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girl Onyx had a bad reaction to the Methimazole. Lethargy, throwing up bile, facial scratching....she was only on it for 16 days. My vet basically said it's $20 a month for the pills + $200 for the blood tests 2-3 a year. So if your cat has 2 good years left in them the I-131 is alot more cost effective (so as the $$ is concerned). If the cats Liver and Kidney values are favorable....would you pick a twice daily pill that suppresses a problem for the rest of their life or a one time shot that has a +95% cure rate?

Onyx is only 5 and I saw it in her behaviour first. The vet didn't think she had a problem but said the T4 blood panel was the only way to be sure. Even my vet was surprised when it came back that she was HT. I got her on a I-131 Treatment list right away (6 week wait) and tried the pills to get us thru the limbo time. She has been off all meds for 3 weeks now and I only have 8 more days before she gets the I-131, I cant wait. For her sake and for mine..... she wakes me up MULTIPLE times a night wanting to be fed. I get and avg of 3-4 hrs a night of sleep. I keep a bowl of wet food in my nightstand. (I can't leave food out, the other cat will eat it all).