Hypersalivation And More, Help!!!

Bob4443

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is sick and I don't have much money, i am going to the vet tomorrow but I need to be prepared for cost purpose.

My cat is 10 years old male. He is hypersaliviting and its saliva is thick. There's a small smell of ammonia. His tongue is often out now. He seem to go to the bathroom a lot more too (urine and litter smell normal). He eats well (can food with added water since he never learned to drink water). He as a lump on the back of the neck since about 2 years ago (seems mostly fat, never gets very big and its just under the skin, moves with the skin, size of a grape). He seems to sleep a bit more then usual. Its a house cat (I saved him from death when he was about 2 year old, in the winter, I guess they kick him out because he was a trouble cat, he was neutered)

Vet said he might have Feline Herpesvirus (he wasn't eating, red eyes, running nose, that was 7 years ago). Vet give him a shoot and he was fine after.

I been reading up on it for awhile, I just need some thoughts on this. I tried to check his mouth but its pretty hard. Could it be a simple cold? or that 2 year old lump?

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're not vets we don't know.

I'd be worried about the lump tbh, is it where he has had vaccinations?

Salivating a lot could be due to gum disease or tooth decay or something worse. Drinking and urinating a lot could indicate kidney problems.

We can't tell you, I'm sorry, there could be a whole number of things going on - that is what the vet is there for.

I do wish you all the best, love to you and your cat xx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bob4443

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His mouth doesn't seem to bother him, I never see him touch it with his paw. I think the lump is only fat hopefully. Miko the sick cat thanks you for the reply.

Bob4443

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since he was neutured, I presumed he was vaccinated. I'm not sure. :(

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason I am worried about the lump is because if it is where he gets vaccinated regularly (vaccinations aren't a once in a lifetime thing, they need to be repeated at various intervals), it could be a condition related to that. I was talking to a vet recently who was doing research into that recently so it is kind of in the front of my mind. It could also be a bite from another pet (or another cat or other animal if he goes outoors) that has formed some sort of abscess or cyst.

Good luck at the vets! I hope your boy is ok.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd be more worried about the mouth issues. That's not normal. Could be stomatitis or some other infection. My cats have had gingivitis but never salivated like that.
The lump is probably a fatty tumor. If it's squishy and soft, it is probably just fatty tumor.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like he needs to see a vet for proper diagnosis. The drooling and smell are definite cause for concern that need attention. If it is related to dental problems he could stop eating and go downhill quickly. The lump is probably less of a concern if it hasn't changed much in two years but should still be checked out to be sure.

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From all of your symptoms you've described, it sounds like it could be kidney related. I am no vet however, and have no degree in veterinary.

I'm sorry your kitty is dealing with this, give him a big hug for me.

Does he have sores in his mouth?

What kind of food are you feeding him?

Is there a CHANCE he could have gotten into something?

Make sure you update us after his vet visit.

Bob4443

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies.

Miko as Stomatitis. The vet give him antibiotics and anti-inflammatory injections. Once he gets better I will get his teeth clean (tartar). I guess eating can food did it. I didn't know I could brush my cat teeth or just didn't think about it. My bad

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Stomatitis is actually an auto immune disease and has nothing to do with your care, the canned food or anything else. Most of the time what happens is people have to get their cat's teeth pulled. All of them. I have a friend who had to have her cat's teeth all pulled out and I've seen other people on here with the same issue, so you are not alone.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your vet told you to have his teeth cleaned, then it's likely it is a gingivitis rather than a stomatitis.
Can you look into his mouth? Do you see a sore palate or back of the mouth, or sore gums?
My cat was salivating a lot and had a bad breath smell and the vet said it was ginigivitis... it wasn't... :bawling:
Hopefully your vet is right!

Bob4443

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Stomatitis is inflammation of the mouth and lips. It refers to any inflammatory process affecting the mucous membranes of the mouth and lips, with or without oral ulceration.

In its widest meaning, stomatitis can have a multitude of different causes and appearances. Common causes include infections, nutritional deficiencies, allergic reactions, radiotherapy, and many others.

When inflammation of the gums and the mouth generally presents itself, sometimes the term gingivostomatitis is used, though this is also sometimes used as a synonym for herpetic gingivostomatitis.

Wikipedia (its just a general term)

Bob4443

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Human can get gingivitis (Stomatitis) if we don't floss and remove tartar. It makes pockets under the gums then bacteria gets in there. I think ill start with a teeth cleanup and hopefully that will solve the issue. If not, then i will know its more serious. I rather eliminate the obvious first and easiest to fix.

Thanks for your input.

Bob4443

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One last thing, vet said not to worry about the 2 years old lump on his neck, its probably just fat tissue. To monitor it and see him if it gets bigger.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Human can get gingivitis (Stomatitis) if we don't floss and remove tartar. It makes pockets under the gums then bacteria gets in there. I think ill start with a teeth cleanup and hopefully that will solve the issue. If not, then i will know its more serious. I rather eliminate the obvious first and easiest to fix.

Thanks for your input.
I hope things go well!
Don't feel bad about not knowing about brushing. My youngest cat is the only one that will allow me near the mouth, and even then it's not the easiest thing ever. We live and learn =)
A how-to on brushing teeth for cats if you're interested, if not I'd give it a watch anyway because the guy doing the video is funny. =)
Best wishes!