Human food I can use for as treats for my kitties

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would love some healthy options I can give my kitties as treats. I know avocado and boiled chicken are good but I’d love more options.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Avocado is not an appropriate treat for an obligate carnivore as they are incapable of properly digesting plant matter.

Chunked meat is great - raw or cooked muscle meat or organs. If raw, gizzards and hearts are chewy and good for dental health.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a fair number of cat friendly human foods (though I've never heard of feeding cats avocado before today😮 I'm not at all sure about feeding that in any amount).

Pretty much any plain cooked meat is good, though I'd be very sparing with any type of salted or cured meat (eg ham, bacon etc). No seasonings though, especially not garlic or onion.

As A Azazel said, raw meat can be a good option too, but it MUST be fresh. Avoid any kind of ground meat too - it's far safer to buy, say, a chicken breast whole and cut it yourself. Raw meat is potentially high in bacteria, so special care must be taken when feeding it, and the same strict food hygiene used as if you were preparing raw meat to cook for yourself.

Cooked egg can be a yummy treat for cats. Raw egg yolk is also ok, but you must NEVER feed raw egg white. That's very bad for cats.

Some cats adore cheese, and a tiny amount of cheese is fine. It should be given sparingly though, as too much can cause an upset stomach.

Plain meat baby food is a great kitty treat, and most cats go nuts for it!

Plain canned tuna (in spring water ONLY - never oil or brine) can be a yummy treat too, but again, it needs to be given sparingly.

Some cats go wild for canned sardines or mackerel.

A little plain yogurt can be a good treat, and if its goats yogurt that's even better.

There are probably other possibilities too but that should give you plenty to choose from :) I tend to stick to plain cooked meat for human food treats, or occasionally a little fish or cheese. My current gang mostly prefer cat treats though :dunno:

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love bacon. Plus other forms of pork. When I bring home BBQ pork ribs, they are there at the table, begging for a taste. Plus BBQ beef short rib.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sardines were going to be my suggestion. My Lydia loves them! She also does appreciate a bit of cheese every once in a while :)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plain cooked meat. My girls adore chicken, turkey, pork chops and steak. I roast a chicken or turkey thigh, shred it and put it in their dishes with the juice that the meat gives off during cooking and they love it. I grill a pork chop or steak without seasoning, cut off a portion for them and season my own after the fact. Lilith adores pork chops and knows whenever I cook them. I get yelled at until she gets hers. Sophie is a steak girl and it's the one food she drools over. I have to have her portion already cut up when I sit down to eat or she whines. She likes all steak but her favorite by far is rib eye. Medium rare leaning closer to rare. She inhales it. Who says you have to be human to have good taste? That's my favorite too.

They also like Boar's Head deli meats. Low sodium chicken breast, turkey and roast beef. I get the meat cut a little thicker to make it easier to rip apart for them and they just love it. Especially Lily. She's like a little snapping turtle with that stuff. She also likes Boar's Head picante provolone cheese but she gets that less often. My girls have good taste.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boiled chicken or turkey breast. You can also give with its boiling water and increase the water intake. It doesn't have to be breast of course but it's lower calorie and my own cat has some issues with digesting fat so I found breast meat to be the safest.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a list of foods to NOT feed: People Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets

Avocado is listed but the concern is for birds, horses, rabbits, ruminates, and donkeys. It's still not an appropriate food to give to a cat, though. Cats don't need veggies or fruit.

Stick with plain meat, either raw or cooked. The ASPCA list does list raw meat as a no-no but many people feed raw diets and occasional pieces of raw meat and organs as treats with no issue at all. Not all cats like raw meat so cooked meat is best, say a chicken breast poached in water and shredded up. The cooked meat can be frozen for later treats.

Canned unflavored tuna in water (not oil. Read the label) and other canned fish are ok as an occasional treat.

Plain meat baby food such as these listed here (expand the picture to see it): Anyone else have an Only-Gravy-Licker? They're good as an enticement to get sick cats to eat.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a treat, and low calorie, mine LOVE sliced deli turkey or chicken. I give meds pushed into bacon, but since it has so many bad things in it, not often. If yoru cat loves avacado, I would bet they would love a scrambled or raw beaten egg yolk too.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My husband makes guns salad every couple of months and Neko-chan loves the water from it. She will wake up from a deep sleep and run to her dish to lap it up.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my cats like bone marrow and little pieces of liver...too bad because i like it too :/

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of cats like mushrooms, I guess because they have a meat-like mouth feel. They have very little food value and I don't think there's anything bad for a cat in canned mushrooms. I give mine a big slice (which still isn't much) from a can of pieces and stems if I'm cooking. All the cats I've had readily ate them.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of cats like mushrooms, I guess because they have a meat-like mouth feel. They have very little food value and I don't think there's anything bad for a cat in canned mushrooms. I give mine a big slice (which still isn't much) from a can of pieces and stems if I'm cooking. All the cats I've had readily ate them.
You may find this article interesting:

In 2005, Beauchamp and his colleagues proved that cats, tigers and other felines can't taste sweetness because they lack a functional gene for sweetness taste receptors. But they do have genes for the receptors that detect the umami flavor of a wide array of amino acids in protein. So Cashew and any other mushroom-craving cats are really on a hunt for protein, not for fungi, he says.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know there were glutamates in mushrooms, or that cats had umami receptors, either. The article makes sense.

I once had a female that would kill for mushrooms or better yet, mushroom soup! Now I know why.

My experience is that cats seem to prefer ripe olives to green olives. The ripe ones seem to have more of the umami flavor too. My cats like those as well and I also give them a slice or two when I'm making a salad.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
From Wikipedia:

Foods that have a strong umami flavor include broths, gravies, soups, shellfish, fish and fish sauces, tomatoes, mushrooms, hydrolysed vegetable protein, meat extract, yeast extract, cheeses, soy sauce, and human breast milk.
It makes sense why cats crave all these things! They are on the hunt for protein. :agree:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeast extract! I once caught my cats greedily cleaning up some spilled Marmite and asked here about it. Marmite is made from spent brewers' yeast. Probably would be good for cats, were it not for the huge amount of salt in the stuff.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I sizzle chicken livers and heart with a bit of salt. I sometimes give sardines. One of my cats likes to chew on lettuce from my salad !