Human Anxiety For Cats

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
So I'm gone for a week and I'm having major anxiety away from my cats. Their prob having a house party do you think their going to be mad because I don't want them thinking I'm abandoning them

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think they will be mad or that they have been abandoned - I don’t think cats reason that way. They will miss you, and be prepared for an earful when he home I’m sure. But we have left for a week or more before, and while they are extra clingy and happy when we return they were perfectly safe and not too distressed.

Honestly I think they get a little bored and just sleep more. Try and relax, if you have a cat sitter see if they can send photos. That’s always helpful for us to relax.

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you are that anxious invest in a nest camera. If you watch for sales get them pretty cheap. We have them, and it allows us to check in on the cats anytime we want from our phones. It helps us out a lot and yes all they are doing is sleeping, eating and playing with the cat sitter.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I might do that or baby monitor
The next time I go away I've never been away from spooky
Baby monitors are for in-home use. Once you leave the range of the transmitter (the camera), the receiver (the video screen) is useless. You want a wifi camera. I would recommend at least one "PTZ" (Pan Tilt Zoom) camera so you can move the camera and look for the cat. Then you can fill in blind spots with cheaper fixed cameras. 3M Command velcro strips are great for securing cameras to walls or cat trees or other furniture when you don't want to put screws in your wall.

EDIT: If they still sell "webcams", you don't want those. A webcam connects to your computer and allows you to transmit your image to the web (like video chat or making YouTube content.) You want a standalone camera that doesn't need to be connected to your computer.

I like the D-link cameras well enough. The app annoys me though. If I leave a camera and want to come back to that camera, about half the time I have to force close the app. I tend to use older phones and tablets (and yet I'm still impatient!) so maybe your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the camera idea!! I used to hook up an old school answering machine that had my voice on the outgoing message (ogm) and I would call often and after the ogm played through, I would talk to the kitties by name before hanging up. And whenever I am going away for an overnight, I explain to my cats before I leave - they seem to understand just fine. Last January, I had gone for a daytrip out of town & my passenger had a medical emergency so I was gone for about 37 hours - my inside kitties were so clingy when I got back, they were that way for several days plus there was an unusual amount of hissing and swatting between them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
She's in my room all day until I get home but I'm gone for a week and I just wanna make sure she's ok

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand. The first time we went away for vacation for 2 weeks, I called the pet sitter to get an update on my guys: Salem, Max and Bounder. She laughed at me. But I missed my babies!! She also thought I was kidding when I told her to go down to the laundry room at the bottom of the basement stairs and pick up all the toy mice that Max had sent under the door. He had this whole game of starting in the kitchen with his mouse and he'd bat it down the hallway to the front door and then back to the little alcove where the coat closet was on one side and the basement door on the other and he'd skitter those mice under the gap under the door, like an ice hockey player shooting the puck into the goal net.