HUGE Primordial Tummy Pouch

acro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm considering adopting a cat. It's actually a Cornish Rex! The cat is about 4 to 5 years old and I'm all in . . . except for one thing. The current owner recently sent me several photos and did explain that the cat has a saggy tummy, however the photo was a lot more than I expected! I know cats have a Primordial Pouch, and I've seen some saggy ones, but the one on this cat is extreme!

I will care for (and I have cared for) a cat that gets sick while in my care, but I do not want to adopt a cat that could have major health issues. Please take a look and let me know if you think this cats Primordial Pouch is normal or not.

Cat2.jpg

Cat1.jpg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is just noticeable because of the short, sparse Cornish Rex coat. If the cat had a longer coat, it wouldn't be so noticeable. But if you are concerned, you can always ask to have a vet examine the cat before you commit to adopting.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that lutece lutece is right. I've seen some hairless cats that look almost alien, and my Hek would probably look like that with a short, curly coat. I tell people that she has a "primodial duffle bag." There actually are no organs contained within the pouch, it is all loose skin, so just the size of it would not indicate future health problems. I would make the final adoption contingent on a health check with your vet within...agree on a time...48-72 hours is pretty normal for things like that. But I'm not anticipating a problem unless you palpate the pouch and feel something hard in there.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Scientists think that perhaps they developed in order to give a cat extra stretch in the hind legs, which may be why they can make those 7 foot horizontal leaps look so easy.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I bet Links pouch would look similar without fur...

20210213_133543.jpg

His hits his side when he runs. "Does your belly hang low, does it wobble to and fro, can you tie it in a knot, can you tie it in a bow.." . :spew:

In all seriousness, Link did have an injury five years ago that caused bruising and swelling on his abdomen (we could see the bruise under his white fur and he was hospitalized for a week). I think it was smaller before, but he was around the age of it developing too. I wouldn't be surprised if injury swelling or weight loss leaves the primordial pouch a little more stretched out but neither are long term issues (usually). Just loose extra skin like if a person looses a good amount of weight. I'd just check the skin for chaffing or rashes from time to time since he doesn't have fur to protect against this. But that can be managed with cleaning and care that a hairless cats needs anyways to manage their skin.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just looked at my little females pouch, it does swing side to side when she runs. When I looked at her with her front end up giving my husband a kiss, it looked just like your Cornish Rex's. If her hair wasn't longer it would match that cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

acro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow so many replies! Way more than I expected, thanks!
A vet check is always good just because. I'm going to see if they will take the cat to the vet for a check up.
Thanks again, I'll update!