How watery do you make your cat food?

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.
I'm curious how moist y'all tend to make your homemade ground raw food.

I've been adding enough water to make a consistency like canned pate food, but I'm thinking of adding more water to future batches. I've got a very overweight cat l'm trying to get to lose weight, and I was thinking that maybe putting more water in his food might help him feel more satiated. For now, I'm adding some water to his food when it gets thawed out.

Thanks! :wavey:

dmk129

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been making my catfood with warm water on it  for years=like 1 can of food plus 1 can of warm to hot water =I mash it all around with a fork and make sure it isnt too hot before giving to kitties=They LOVE it.  We call it their soup.  Vet says they have nice dilute urine so I guess they would be less likely to get crystals and blockage then.  I would think if the kitty has normal kidneys-it would do like a human and just pee off the water it doesnt need.  It is one way to make sure they get enough water.  My guys have a fountain and a bowl of water too.  2 old ones drink out of the bowl and 2 young ones drink out of the fountain. 

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I add a lot of extra water to mine. I make 1lb batches and the instructions with alnutrin say to add 1/2 a cup of water but i probably add at least 3/4 because one of my cats is a licker so its much easier for him to eat when its more soupy. It's more the consistency of baby food or applesauce. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I had made a 1 pound batch of rabbit, using the 1/2 cup the alnutrin instructions, and thought it might be too watery, but I see that it's OK. My one kitty with many missing teeth, due to resorptive lesions, loves the rabbit soup!

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed all wet to my 2 cats and I've been trying to introduce some raw.  Mostly freeze dried but my Lokhi refuses to eat it when I add water.  He will eat it completely dry when I put a small amount for him as a treat but when I add water he sniffs it and walks away.  

Very frustrating.  I know its not good to feed the freeze dried completely dry so I hate to have to drop the food from their rotation if I can't get Lokhi to eat it with some water. 

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I feed all wet to my 2 cats and I've been trying to introduce some raw.  Mostly freeze dried but my Lokhi refuses to eat it when I add water.  He will eat it completely dry when I put a small amount for him as a treat but when I add water he sniffs it and walks away.  

Very frustrating.  I know its not good to feed the freeze dried completely dry so I hate to have to drop the food from their rotation if I can't get Lokhi to eat it with some water. 
Have you tried any commercial raw? Rad Cat or Primal? My cats don't like freeze dried wet either. The only FD they do like is instinct raw boost and i use those as a topper on raw food. 

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Have you tried any commercial raw? Rad Cat or Primal? My cats don't like freeze dried wet either. The only FD they do like is instinct raw boost and i use those as a topper on raw food. 
Thanks.  Funny that I wasn't aware Primal had frozen raw for cats but I will definitely look for it now.   Rad Cat I've been wanting to try but not sure my local store carries it.   The store has a few freezes loaded with Primal, Stella & Chewy, Bravo but I don't think I've ever seen Rad Cat there.  Its about 95% dog food so hopefully I missed it.   Will take a closer look.

I have tried the Stella & Chewy frozen morsels.   My Rainy likes it and my Lokhi will eat a few bites with some Pure Bites sprinkled on top.    I think I just have to be more patient with Lokhi but its difficult when I have another cat who will inhale any food left down for even a second. 

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not homemade but for what it's worth my two eat their Primal freeze-dried pork (the only raw I have been feeding recently) very soupy. It may help that it's warm water that I add to it, not sure. But it's far more liquid and less chunky than any canned food or typical raw food would be.  They don't seem to mind a bit.  They eat/drink all that I put in (never any leftovers) and it seems to be enough water because I never catch them drinking from the water bowls.

Just offered as a thought that it is possible to get cats to eat a soupy bowl of food, although I'm sure some cats would be stubborn about it!