How To Wrap Up A Play Session With The Laser?

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
I usually like to simulate the hunt as accurately as possible for his playing, and want him to feel satisfied in this regard, but I don’t know how to end the play session because he can’t “catch” the laser and dig his claws into something. I usually end up grabbing a wand toy and I let him finish with an epic catch. Is this ok ?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, that definitely works! Having the laser land on a Kickeroo or catnip mouse that Mango can “kill” is another thing you can try, to mix things up a bit. Feeding a meal (or at least a treat!) afterwards is another way cats can get the feeling of a successful hunt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, that definitely works! Having the laser land on a Kickeroo or catnip mouse that Mango can “kill” is another thing you can try, to mix things up a bit. Feeding a meal (or at least a treat!) afterwards is another way cats can get the feeling of a successful hunt.
I just recently learned they like eating after play, Mango was burping during exercise and I finally found out it was because he ate food before play.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I think all the above replies are great ideas. :thumbsup: My kitty enjoys the laser as well and when he's done playing I usually transition to a different toy that I know he likes, e.g. a lattice ball with bell inside or one of his stuffed catnip toys.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like to direct the laser to one side of the room and then quietly place treats on the floor/table/sofa while the boys are occupied. Then I'll make them chase the laser for a bit before landing it on a treat, and then turning it off once they pounce. They get their 'kill' and their exercise! I'm sure wrapping up a laser session with a wand toy gives a similar feeling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like to direct the laser to one side of the room and then quietly place treats on the floor/table/sofa while the boys are occupied. Then I'll make them chase the laser for a bit before landing it on a treat, and then turning it off once they pounce. They get their 'kill' and their exercise! I'm sure wrapping up a laser session with a wand toy gives a similar feeling.
I love this idea so much. Thank you!!!! Gonna do this every time now

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My girl loves to play before she eats her breakfast, and she LOVES the laser. When she's decided to end play time, she just goes to her dish where her breakfast is waiting:-)

So I've never had to decide how or when to end play sessions--she's in charge (as she is in everything:-)