How To Use Syringes With Disposable Tips?

skrinkle

Cat mom
Young Cat
Purraise
This might be a dumb question, but I've only had experience with insulin needles before (BD ultra fine ii). I'm now using a different syringe (terumo) for cartrophen injections on a new cat, and I'm wondering why my vet gave me 3 plungers and ~10 needles? They come separate, but both parts are obviously (or so I thought) one use. So why did he give me so many needles for only 3 plungers? Do people reuse the plungers? :ohwell:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet tell you what the therapy is? I mean, how many injections a day, how many days?
If he said, one shot a day, for three days, then I think he probably just over did with the needles, in case one is lost, one gets bent during the shot, and so on. Needles are really inexpensive, even if they are Terumo. He just grabbed a handful from the box, in my opinion ;)

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Needles are never re-used. They are only good for one use. After that they are no longer sterile and the needle is no longer sharp The syringe part can typically be re-used. If you're unsure of how many times the syringe can be used, call the vet and ask.