How To Transition To Wet Food Only Diet

Yodasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 8 year old cat has chronic constipation. For 2 years, Lactulose worked great, but now she’s becoming constipated again, and after increasing the Lactulose, she still only goes every 3 days, but now It is diarrhea when she finally goes. She drinks tons of water from the faucet, but also eats lots of dry food, in addition to a little wet food. I am interested in guidance on transitioning her to an all wet food diet, to see if that helps the situation.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good on you for choosing an all wet diet.

I would just start by picking out some good quality wet foods and introducing them to her slowly one at a time. The first day, replace 25% of her total day's worth of food with wet, the third day bring it up to 50%, the fifth day 75% and then on the 7th day you can go 100% wet. Once she's eating all wet you can start introducing different brands and flavours of wet food. Variety is a good thing and unless your cat has a sensitive stomach you can rotate different brands and proteins on a daily or weekly basis.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - and welcome!!
I can't add much if anything, really, to what neo_23 said.
Let us know if you have more questions, how things go, and/or if you'd like a list of foods, or anything else.

There are also current threads regarding grain free or Limited Ingredient et al going here that you can find by using the search option, and the Articles section has a ton of valuable info about food, nutrition etc.

If you're wanting to look at other perspectives, catinfo.org and felinecrf.org are out there as well.

:goodluck: :heartshape: