how to tell vomit from diarrhea?

kalypso

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
My cat has been having reduced apetite since Thursday night, and today I found what looks like vomit but it is out of her litterbox, so how can I tell if it is vomit or diarrhea? It sure does not smell, it looks like her food mushed, but around it is what looks like pee. She is on antibiotic for presumable aemobartonella, and last nigth she also had vitamin B syrup, which is yellow.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's very loose stool, her next one would likely look similar. If it doesn't, then what you saw was more likely puke.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalypso

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot for your reply! I guessed it was diarrhea, she also had no apetite. So I took her to the vet who gave her an injection of antidiarrhoic medicine, but when we came back she ate some hills a/d and then puked it :(. Should I not give her any food for some hours?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot for your reply! I guessed it was diarrhea, she also had no apetite. So I took her to the vet who gave her an injection of antidiarrhoic medicine, but when we came back she ate some hills a/d and then puked it :(. Should I not give her any food for some hours?
I think it’s the best to ask to the vet. If that’s not possible and if I were you I would try some simple food like boiled chicken breast in case she can digest that one and then try the a/d food again 3 hours after that.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wouldn't diarrhea smell horribly? If it doesn't smell I would imagine it's puke.