How To Supplement Raw Food

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, despite it being a fine grind i would assume just avoid anything that can cause a mouth sore or if it's not necessary to worry about. Others here could really help you figure if maybe a mix of pork meat fine grind and rabbit organs (or other organs) or what they recommend. I'll be able to post or send photos when the bone in defrosts. But I'm sure some others have some great input. The bones in the natures instinct are about 1/4 grain of white Rice size.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So Juliette got her first try of rabbit tonight. The 1 lb was slightly frozen ( bought 1 lb of boneless just in case she gets constipated on whole rabbit grind). I went ahead and cut it and put into containers. I decided to give her some to see how if she would eat it. It's win. She finished the small morsel with a little bit of hot water dripped on it in 2 minutes. She looked at it funny. "Just try it, it's good!" She tasted it and finished the plate. Put the plate in the dishwasher and I got a cat that cried at me looking for where is the rest. Yeah!!! She'll try the whole grind rabbit tomorrow. She ate some soft but she seems to prefer the raw. Hoping tomorrow she gets to try the whole grind but it sounds like a winner.

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Old thread, but I am curious to know how both your kitties are doing? valentine319 valentine319 huxleysmom huxleysmom

I am having the exact same issue with this stray kitty we took into our home this summer. He was reacting to every canned food it seemed; to varying degrees, put him on vet food, was much worse. I figured taking him to raw would be better. He really loves it and over all seems improved, but still has some neck scratching and shedding. I have him on Primal pork raw. It's been two weeks. I noticed some constipation, so added in EZ egg yolks but I think that may have worsen his symptoms, but I can't be 100% certain.

I suspect he has a fish and chicken (poultry) allergy, so I assume the fish oil in the primal and the addition of yolks may be triggering him?

I live in Canada, and there is a brand Natural Instinct that sell meat, bones and organ mixes, and red meats with just meat and organs. Both with no supplments. Would this be a good route for me? How do I handle the consitpation from high bone content if he becomes constipated? I have read add extra meat, but I live in the tinist town and not sure where I could buy plain novel protien meats. We also have Legacy,and Carnivora, both are whole complete animal grinds.

Very new to raw feeding and very overhwhelmed, and the more I read the more of a headache and panic I feel. I don't know what to do and what to feed him. I need to figure it out. Also not at all equiped to make my own raw food. Any advice would he highly appreciated!!

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I see stella and chewy might be a good option? I dont see yolk or fish oils... just more synthetic ingredients. I heard it is bone heavy however. How do I address constipation? I was thinking of adding in pumpkin nutivet cat treats into his diet, as it has pumpkin and psyllium?

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to find the percentages for primal for example bone and such. I've been looking and not finding anything.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Juliette is doing well. We stay with the micronized distillation fish oil. She has seasonal allergies that require some zyrtec but her fur is coming in. She doesn't continually fart and have the runs on raw.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok I'm looking at this and 7% isn't High. But can someone look at it. Is that label a lie? So hearts would be the plain meat, next is liver which should be at 5% yet bone is the 3rd ingredient?

As far as allergies it's difficult with all those ingredients to narrow it down. I see so much as unnecessary.

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Juliette is doing well. We stay with the micronized distillation fish oil. She has seasonal allergies that require some zyrtec but her fur is coming in. She doesn't continually fart and have the runs on raw.
That's good to know! I'm glad she is doing better! :hearthrob:
I am thinking perhaps I could buy pre ground bone, organ and meat mix, and follow a recipe, but use the same fish oil you use in replacement? The recipe you listed here, can that be mixed with other protiens other than just the rabbit you mention?

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I'm looking at this and 7% isn't High. But can someone look at it. Is that label a lie? So hearts would be the plain meat, next is liver which should be at 5% yet bone is the 3rd ingredient?

As far as allergies it's difficult with all those ingredients to narrow it down. I see so much as unnecessary.
You are right. It's why I am thinking of transistioning to something else, just not sure to what yet. :O

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Different meats can be used. The difference in supplements is pretty much only lite salts if the thyroid is or isn't included. The fish oil i use is this. Iceland Pure Unscented Pharmaceutical Grade Sardine Anchovy Oil For Dogs and Cats.Bottle Size 33oz
You're looking at 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other organs. You could add bone powder for the bone.

There's a slight possibility the clay in the one you use now could possibly be constipating. You are hydrating it before feeding to kitty correct?

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Different meats can be used. The difference in supplements is pretty much only lite salts if the thyroid is or isn't included. The fish oil i use is this. Iceland Pure Unscented Pharmaceutical Grade Sardine Anchovy Oil For Dogs and Cats.Bottle Size 33oz
You're looking at 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other organs. You could add bone powder for the bone.

There's a slight possibility the clay in the one you use now could possibly be constipating. You are hydrating it before feeding to kitty correct?
Oh, are those the percentages he needs/is ideal? I am really novice to raw, so I'm not familiar with that stuff. 10% is not enough bone?

I am feeding the frozen raw, not the dehydrated raw, so no I don't add extra water. Hm, that is true about the clay, I never thought of that.

Thanks for linking the oil!

Another option I was thinking was PetsGoRaw. They have a beef formula that has no bone, but they use eggshells instead. They say to add my own fish oil. I could get the one you use.

I guess, the bottom line is.. if I go with strictly bones, meat and organ mix, is that I have to add supplements? If I use the formula you provide here, that would be sufficient? You mention those percentages, is that something I have to ideally hit?

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes unless there's an issue that involves the vet recommending lower bone you want to stay at 10 from what I understand. Too much bone and they get constipated. I'm sure some can handle more bone but impacted bowels and them needing enemas I want to avoid.

I'm looking at cat beef meal (that could be read wrong :crackup:). It says eggs with shells. If your cat is having an issue with eggs that might not work. You might want to confirm with them. You could potentially try it for 2 months and see how kitty does. I would confirm percentages. I've seen some places make a 15% mix. I doubt this place would but better to be sure.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I see there's quite a few different recipes.

I use feline-nutrition.org but I've noticed catnutrition.org has lowered the bone content.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
orange&white orange&white of she was going with beef and pork without a grinder what would you recommend?

I thought there was a supplement that someone was using for cooked, could this be used for raw to keep balanced? Can someone else chime in?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Personal experience with my three: 10 percent bone is too high for them. They get constipated. I try for about seven percent when I use Small Batch blends, which are 80/10/10 (meat/bone/organ). I dilute it with boneless and add back a bit of liver to get the organ percentage back up. I used the dilute bone calculator at Dilute Bone Content.

When I grind my own meat, I use bone meal powder (Dr. Pierson’s recipe at catinfo.org).

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
orange&white orange&white of she was going with beef and pork without a grinder what would you recommend?

I thought there was a supplement that someone was using for cooked, could this be used for raw to keep balanced? Can someone else chime in?
I think both EZ-Complete and Alnutrin have formulas for just meat and organ without bone. Powdered eggshell can be used for calcium. It does need to be absolutely powdered (a coffee bean grinder will do the job). RadCat was using eggshell and gelatin instead of bone.

For years, I put chicken bones in a double-ziplock bags, wrapped that in a brown paper bag and went out on the patio and smashed them flat with a hammer, then used kitchen scissors to cut the remaining sinews holding the "bone pancake" into small pieces. Tedious, but effective.

My boss bought a powerful grinder last year for his venison and gave me his "dinky" low-powered one. So far I haven't burned the motor out, but I'm using only thin chicken frames (no leg or thigh bones) and still smashing/chopping them, but with a heavy meat cleaver before putting them through the grinder.