How to stop cat from fighting neighbourhood cat at night?

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As the title suggests, Toffee has been regularly roaming outside at night after he'd prefer to spend all day indoors, and I was wondering why this was the case until I discovered he's getting into fights with a neighbourhood cat who has been previously coming into his garden. This cat started to come into our garden and "tease" Toffee when he would be eating or sitting watching the birds on the patio (something he normally does when he's outside). I've had to shoo this other cat out of the garden a couple of times, so have managed to identify him (he lives a couple of houses down from ours, so it wouldn't surprise me if Toffee has been venturing into his garden too). We retrieved a piece of his fur off Toffee's last night when he came in and Toffee has small scratch marks on his face from where they've clearly been fighting.

This is unlike Toffee's normal behaviour, he's normally very timid around strange neighbourhood cats - he was always scared of the cats living next door to us and never fought with them. Aside from physical scars, Toffee doesn't seem to be visibly psychologically damaged by the fights, but I'm worried about him. We're keeping him indoors as much as we can but he likes to spend up to an hour a day at least outdoors, so it's been tricky to tempt him to stay inside! I was wondering if anyone has any advice or tips on how to get him to stop going out to fight with this other cat? We have some Feliways and other calming sprays and are trying them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sure I am not coming up with anything that you haven't already thought of - but I have to pursue those angles anyway.
Is Toffee and the other cat neutered? If not, on either or both counts, problem #1.
Have you talked to the neighbor to see what is going on? If not, problem #2.
Is there a way to build or buy a catio/cat enclosure for Toffee - which would allow him outside, but in a confined space so he isn't roaming? It could make the difference in so many ways.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am sure I am not coming up with anything that you haven't already thought of - but I have to pursue those angles anyway.
Is Toffee and the other cat neutered? If not, on either or both counts, problem #1.
Have you talked to the neighbor to see what is going on? If not, problem #2.
Is there a way to build or buy a catio/cat enclosure for Toffee - which would allow him outside, but in a confined space so he isn't roaming? It could make the difference in so many ways.
Thank you, I had considered a catio but I'll look more into it, I think that might be a viable option.

Toffee is neutered and I presume the other cat is too as I know from my local vets and speaking to other local cat owners that most of the cats in the neighbourhood are neutered.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just mentioned this in another thread- but motion activated sprinklers, if it is warm enough, has discouraged many an interloper from trespassing. He is just defending his turf, and it sounds like the other cat is messing with his territory. Obviously, cat proof fencing or a catio is best so you don’t have to mess with the neighborhood cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just mentioned this in another thread- but motion activated sprinklers, if it is warm enough, has discouraged many an interloper from trespassing. He is just defending his turf, and it sounds like the other cat is messing with his territory. Obviously, cat proof fencing or a catio is best so you don’t have to mess with the neighborhood cats.
Thank you for the advice! He hasn't been out for the past couple of days so much at night, so I'm hoping this will be short lasting.