How to play with a cat, besides Flirt Pole

jeannem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Reaction score
Ever since I accidentally bopped Suki on the nose with one of the flirt poles I can't get her to play with it and chase it. I am 70 so running around is not one of my strong points.
What to do to get her some exercise?
J

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Reaction score
2 things Delilah loves are pipe cleaners and these little plastic springs. When I take out a spring and start stretching it, she sees it and goes nuts. I toss her the spring and she will chase and bat it all over the place. I have a bag full of them so if she loses it I toss her another. Then I can collect them all later with my grabbing stick (I have back issues) and put them in a bag for later. Sometimes she will just find it and go nuts with it on her own.

Also, instead of a stick, I have one of her favorite things (fake grass) tied to a long shoelace that I can dangle or drag on the floor (no stick) and she will stalk and pounce it. Maybe Suki will go after a ribbon dragged on the floor?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Reaction score
A laser pointer is fun for most cats and gives them plenty of exercise. You can also throw toys to her and help her learn how to fetch.

minish

minish first..
Adult Cat
Reaction score
Minish loves chasing string. Dragging it under or over things makes the game more fun for her. Yesterday we played with a dining chair while I was sitting on the sofa. She had quite an excercise, under and around and above while the only excercise I had was laughs :)

game misconduct

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Reaction score
i have mobility issues also i roll those little toy balls with a bell inside graycie will chase them across the apartment s(forces me to walk fetching the balls again :lol:keeps me mobile) i also toss those crinkle balls the non dyed ones not the dyed kind from petco those lose the dye once they get wet

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Super Cat
Reaction score
Braid up some yarn into a long rope and drag it across the floor for the cat to pounce on.

Get a good, long piece of yarn, ten feet long, double it over and tie the ends to a doorknob or a chair leg. Put a knitting needle or a pencil through the opposite, looped end, pull the yarn taught and spin it like an airplane propeller until it is twisted tight. Have somebody hold the exact center of the twisted yarn and take your propeller end back to the place where it's tied. Let the tension off and the whole thing will twist into a four-stranded rope. Tie knots in both ends and cut them off to make little pom-poms.

It's a great cat toy... Casper's favorite... and, no, the cat can't swallow the yarn. It's too thick.

Tie a toy to the other end to add a little weight so that you can throw it out, easier, then jerk and pull it back.

Like I said, it's Casper's favorite playtime activity. He'll actually go to where his rope toy is laying, look up at you as if to say, "Make it go!"