How To Monitor... When Using Clumping Litter?

-Mia-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My question is how does one monitor a kitten's pee and poops when using clumping litter?

I can usually identify the good poops because they're smaller and have more distinct shapes, and the litter doesn't always completely stick to them. I guess the bigger clumps are the pee clumps. But, are they always a round-ish in shape? It appears that with my kitty, the pee is almost always shaped like a ball when it clumps.

However, this morning, there was a flat-roundish shaped one. The size of a pee clump, but not roundish, but flat-ish instead. I'm not sure if that would also be pee, or a soft and maybe runny poop?.. How can I tell?

How do you monitor and keep track of what's coming out of your kitties when using clumping litter?

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The shape of the clumped litter depends on how much urine leaves your cat's body. If it is a soft/runny poop, then you can normally smell it as that would mean it is diarrhea. I would scoop twice a day just to see if your kitty is using the bathroom normally & regularly.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my experience, pee is usually just clumped in a roundish ball. Poo is in the little oblong pellets with a bit of litter clinging to it. Flat-ish has always been diarrhea for my cats. If you really want to know, put disposable gloves on and break it open.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We always scoop litter box clumps into a sandwich-sized Ziploc type baggie for disposal. Once the bag has been sealed, I can break the clumps open and examine the contents without having to put on a pair of disposable gloves. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

-Mia-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the ideas! I do believe the flat-ish shaped ones are from diarrhea. She had a second flattish one today (and it was stinky!), so I'm guessing it's because of what she's eating today.

Thanks again!

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She had a second flattish one today (and it was stinky!), so I'm guessing it's because of what she's eating today.
If it goes on too long don't assume it's the food. It could be a sign of another illness, especially for kittens who are more susceptible to worms and intestinal parasites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

-Mia-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it goes on too long don't assume it's the food. It could be a sign of another illness, especially for kittens who are more susceptible to worms and intestinal parasites.
Yes, thank you! I will keep an eye on it. The reason I suspect it's her food is that she is eating something new -- something she's never had before. The vet also did a fecal test at her new kitten visit three days ago, and that was fine.