How to manage weight in a multi-cat household as a working person?

crowinghen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This may be more of a behavior and lifestyle question than a nutrition one, so if there's a better forum for it, I'll be happy to move it.

I have 3 adult cats, two of a healthy weight and one 9 year old neutered male tipping the scale at a hefty 24 pounds. He's not just big-boned either - this boy is a circle (and a really dense one at that - he's not squishy). He is appropriately active for his age, goes up and down stairs, climbs on the chairs and bed to be with me, and will go out to his catio with prompting (he won't use the cat-door, but will go out the people-sized door if I open it for him.) Still, his weight is a danger to his joints, and will only get harder and harder to take off with age, so I know I have to do something.

The other two cats are doing fine on free-choice meals. Are there any clever ways to reduce his intake without having to go to fully separate, daily-timed feedings? I have a fairly unpredictable schedule, so it's easy to keep free-choice bowls full, but a lot harder to guarantee being home for regular mealtimes. But I can't be the only one in this situation. What strategies have you folks used?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, - you could try microchip activated dry food feeder(s) for the other two cats, and provide him with a timed feeder with canned food. A lot of cats have lost weight gradually, which is the only safe way for a cat to lose weight, on canned food.

In order to keep his wet food just for him, get a big tote, cut a hole in it and attach a microchip pet flap. Place the pet feeder you have inside the tote and you have a space now that only the 9 year old can get to food.

Here's a video (for a different reason, but...)

Also, this might be helpful

1704648803381.png

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I plan to go fully separate with Bob unless the vet can settle his intermittent stomach issues, but it will be easier for me. However, we must factor in DH and that he can't say no to them.

I remember when the vet showed us that chart and said Daisy wasn't even on it.

jasony145

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat got fat on dry cat food. Once I switched her to a low carb (you need to get low carb <5g, high protein wet food). You need to do a little research because many wet foods have high carb content too but all dry foods do. Now my cat eats until her plate is clean and doesn't ask for more until supper. The weight came off pretty quickly and she is happy any healthy.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom already got at my best suggestion: microchip activated feeders or flaps. We have one cat who has a MiBowl for dry food. The SureFeed is apparently very good, too. They're expensive (the MiBowl is now on sale on the Chewy site for about $180) but worth the money for better sleep and less vomiting problems. I believe there are MiBowl ice pack accessories.

That said, if you use Furballsmom's great tote idea and want feed wet food but are concerned that the cat will eat too much at once, you could use a non-chip autofeeder with a timer and a cold pack that you refreeze. For food that's not on a timer, you can easily make your own cold packs with ice blocks. I use disposable (but very reusable) ice packs that came with food deliveries: I refreeze them and put them in Tupperware-type containers (upside down), then place the food dishes on them.

We use all these options for just two cats because of their differing diets, appetites, and health issues! It gets a little confusing but I can provide more detail if you want, C crowinghen !

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using the Sure Petcare microchip feeders for over 3 years, and they work very well. They are so expensive, though. I had to buy the attachement for the back which is a separate price, because without that another cat can get to the food. It should be included because without it it's not effective. Oh well, businesses.
But, they have worked without a hitch for over 3 years. The batteries last about 6 months, regular C cell batteries.
I have a kitty that will eat everything in sight, and the other 2 are grazers.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using the Sure Petcare microchip feeders for over 3 years, and they work very well. They are so expensive, though. I had to buy the attachement for the back which is a separate price, because without that another cat can get to the food. It should be included because without it it's not effective. Oh well, businesses.
But, they have worked without a hitch for over 3 years. The batteries last about 6 months, regular C cell batteries.
I have a kitty that will eat everything in sight, and the other 2 are grazers.
Yes, this is a lot like our situation! One grazer cat, one eat-it-all cat.

For the OP's reference, the back of the MiBowl, which is very compact, is enclosed so you don't have to buy the attachment for the back. It comes with guard rail-type attachments for the front, to help keep an intruder cat away while the chipped cat eats. We use one. The MiBowl also operates on C batteries, four at a time; I think Ireland has gone through three sets of batteries since we bought the feeder in spring 2023. She loves to take a few pieces of food, carry them away, and then come back, though, so she opens and closes the feeder many times even when just eating a snack.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, this is a lot like our situation! One grazer cat, one eat-it-all cat.

For the OP's reference, the back of the MiBowl, which is very compact, is enclosed so you don't have to buy the attachment for the back. It comes with guard rail-type attachments for the front, to help keep an intruder cat away while the chipped cat eats. We use one. The MiBowl also operates on C batteries, four at a time; I think Ireland has gone through three sets of batteries since we bought the feeder in spring 2023. She loves to take a few pieces of food, carry them away, and then come back, though, so she opens and closes the feeder many times even when just eating a snack.
I looked up the MiBowl, thanks for the info! If I need another I will go with that. A better price.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, - you could try microchip activated dry food feeder(s) for the other two cats, and provide him with a timed feeder with canned food. A lot of cats have lost weight gradually, which is the only safe way for a cat to lose weight, on canned food.

In order to keep his wet food just for him, get a big tote, cut a hole in it and attach a microchip pet flap. Place the pet feeder you have inside the tote and you have a space now that only the 9 year old can get to food.
It sounds like this cat isn't a fan of the kitty door in their house, so the video solution may not be an ideal fit. You could look into SureFeed microchip feeders. You would probably have to get at least 2 so that the two cats that are fine can be trained on one together and the other kitty can have their own. If you can afford the cost, 3 would probably be ideal. I think they raised the price recently, so not sure if you want to fork over $600. If you do want to go the microchip feeder way, you may want to just get one to start to see if it will work for any of your cats. If you trained the two that don't have an issue with free feeding on the feeders, could you leave the other's food out or would the other two cats eat it?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like this cat isn't a fan of the kitty door in their house, so the video solution may not be an ideal fit.
I realize that, however if the cat is at all food motivated, it shouldn't take a lot of training for the cat to learn to navigate the cat flap to obtain the food that is inside.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked up the MiBowl, thanks for the info! If I need another I will go with that. A better price.
And the funny thing is that I probably would have bought the SureFeed if it had been available when we needed a feeder quickly. I'm glad I got the MiBowl, though, since it's so compact and the back is already enclosed.