How To Make Sure That My Cat Is Clean?

Bella_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m just wondering how to make sure that my cat is clean?
How often shall I bathe her?
What else shall I do to keep her clean?
My cat has a short hair and she had her last bath 2 weeks ago

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats bathe themselves. Unless they are unable to due to illness, age or other issues, or they get into a messy/dirty situation and need extra help, or it's recommended by your vet for whatever reason, you shouldn't have to give your cat a bath.

Mine would murder me in my sleep if I even attempted lol

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats keep themselves clean by grooming. A bath is not needed at all unless the cat is very dirty, like rolled in a mud pile outside or got covered in some weird goo from exploring the basement. There are pet grooming wipes sold in pet stores if you feel the need to give your cat a quick wipe down for whatever reason.

See the two links above on how to safely bath a cat at home if the need arises. Taking the cat to a professional groomer is another option.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Like others said, the wonderful thing about cats is that they clean themselves. You may actually damage their skin/fur by putting bath products on them too often. Only time I would bathe my cat is if they got into something toxic that they couldn’t clean off of themselves.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Cats are very clean animals by nature and they take very good care of themselves via self grooming provided they are not handicapped in any manner of ill health.

As long as there're no foul smell like abscess from wounds, from infected ears, from the mouth. If there's such smell coming from these areas, it's better to have your cat checked by the vet.

Aside from the above, maybe if your cat accidentally stepped on poo or have diarrhea and that needs cleaning or a bath.

My boy was rescued off the streets and have never bathe before since he the first day he came back when he was around 3 - 5 weeks old and he's almost 4 years old now. All I did was I use non perfumed, non alcohol wet disposable wipes and wipe him down.

Cats don't have smell like dogs have.

77D24E03-6D33-47B4-8222-72C69FD9DE79$L0$001~photo.JPG

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bella_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats bathe themselves. Unless they are unable to due to illness, age or other issues, or they get into a messy/dirty situation and need extra help, or it's recommended by your vet for whatever reason, you shouldn't have to give your cat a bath.

Mine would murder me in my sleep if I even attempted lol

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Show Me Your Kitties thank you so much! I'm still laughing so hard, you have made my day! About 30 years ago I was working at Fresno Convention Center and the Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey Circus was in town. I was having a cool conversation with Gunther Gable Williams (so good-looking) and I eventually said "your cats are declawed, aren't they?" He rapidly removed his skimpy tank top and showed me his tanned muscular scarred chest!!! He suggested I put my hand in the cage where a few of his big cats were. Of course, I declined, but oh my!! I was so glad to see that mans chest! He was a beautiful rare man. Oh my goodness I'm still laughing so hard!!!
f

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Show Me Your Kitties thank you so much! I'm still laughing so hard, you have made my day! About 30 years ago I was working at Fresno Convention Center and the Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey Circus was in town. I was having a cool conversation with Gunther Gable Williams (so good-looking) and I eventually said "your cats are declawed, aren't they?" He rapidly removed his skimpy tank top and showed me his tanned muscular scarred chest!!! He suggested I put my hand in the cage where a few of his big cats were. Of course, I declined, but oh my!! I was so glad to see that mans chest! He was a beautiful rare man. Oh my goodness I'm still laughing so hard!!!
f
I'm glad I could make your day! lol Never heard of him or that circus, but that's pretty cool!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I agree that a short haired cat generally keeps themselves nice, I do believe long haired cats benefit from an occasional bath. It makes combing them much easier. By doing it periodically you don’t have quite as much of a challenge than you would if you tried it when the cat had never been bathed.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat has lovely short fur and doesn’t require much grooming beyond regular brushing and nail trimming. Unless your cat gets something on them that might be dangerous if they licked it, there is no need to bathe him.