How To Make My Cat Less Reclusive

Peachbird_moon92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I have a soon to be 5 year old cat(Freya) that my boyfriend and I adopted in 2014. Since adopting her, we noticed right away that she does not respond to affection. An example is trying to cuddle her or have her sit on our laps. The vet told us that some cats like being lap cats while others don't. And this is fine but we also notice that she runs away and hide every chance she get. Even if you approach her calmly. She also keeps her distance from us. If she is close, she'll move away. Also, she has anxiety and becomes nervous when she is excited, or if me or my boyfriend is petting her. An example of being nervous is randomly scratching the floor. As far as just petting her, she doesn't let you pet her most of the time. Also, we have this string that she is very attached to. No matter where we place it, she will sit/sleep on it. Freya shows affection in her own way, I just would like to know if anyone have advice to make her less reclusive. I have told the vet about this numerous times, but I feel that I am not being helped. If anyone have any advice, I would really appreciate it.
*I posted a picture of her sleeping on her favorite string. *

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, you can’t “make” a cat do anything but there are ways to encourage your cat to enjoy interacting with you. Everything of course is on the cats terms so you don’t pet or even touch the cat unless they let you know they are in the mood, and then you need to find out the kind of petting and touching this particular cat likes. Some like belly rubs, some like head or back rubs and some like to have their noses gently stroked. My current cat for example like these big scratching type strokes that would have sent my previous cat off running. You need to experiment to see what your cat prefers.

Second in addition to petting the way she likes you can offer her treats when she comes near. You want to announce these “Freya, I have treats” so that you create a routine that she will want repeated because she likes the result. You sit, she comes close and she gets something good to eat. Yeah!

Using her favorite toy or any toy for that matter to play with her also creates strong positive associations. Shaking it dragging it or even hiding it partially under something so she has to find it also helps her realize how much fun it is to be around people. You can also use a mouse or spring toy to teach her to fetch. The great thing about fetch is that the cat is able to tell you when she wants to play and you understanding what she wants and giving it to her greatly builds a cats confidence.

Lastly cats love to be talked sweetly to and praised. Maybe it’s tone of voice or maybe it’s the look on your face but try a few minutes of telling her how wonderful and what a good cat she is every day and see how she well she reacts to it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Peachbird_moon92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First of all, you can’t “make” a cat do anything but there are ways to encourage your cat to enjoy interacting with you. Everything of course is on the cats terms so you don’t pet or even touch the cat unless they let you know they are in the mood, and then you need to find out the kind of petting and touching this particular cat likes. Some like belly rubs, some like head or back rubs and some like to have their noses gently stroked. My current cat for example like these big scratching type strokes that would have sent my previous cat off running. You need to experiment to see what your cat prefers.

Second in addition to petting the way she likes you can offer her treats when she comes near. You want to announce these “Freya, I have treats” so that you create a routine that she will want repeated because she likes the result. You sit, she comes close and she gets something good to eat. Yeah!

Using her favorite toy or any toy for that matter to play with her also creates strong positive associations. Shaking it dragging it or even hiding it partially under something so she has to find it also helps her realize how much fun it is to be around people. You can also use a mouse or spring toy to teach her to fetch. The great thing about fetch is that the cat is able to tell you when she wants to play and you understanding what she wants and giving it to her greatly builds a cats confidence.

Lastly cats love to be talked sweetly to and praised. Maybe it’s tone of voice or maybe it’s the look on your face but try a few minutes of telling her how wonderful and what a good cat she is every day and see how she well she reacts to it.
Thank you for the advice!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be sure to let us know how she is getting along, and what does and doesn't work! You are part of a community now, and we care!