How To Make Best Choice For Kitten To Join Large Cat Household

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!
Hubs and I recently took in a semi feral mom and her 3 kittens. There are two girls and one boy. Kits are now 16 weeks old. I have a wonderful adopter lined up to take 2 of them. (She has 3 kitties already). My issue is that we have 9 indoor cats (yes, really), who are loved and treated well. We have to keep the mom, at least temporarily, til she is socialized and comfortable, then she might get adopted out through local rescue. We're going to keep one girl kitten so she has an instant friend. (My adopter def wants the boy). So here are the kitten personalities we have: Female kitten A, who is fearless and friendly--was the first one to force her way out of the kitten room to go meet our Gen Pop. She is really playful, and wrestles/runs around constantly with her brother. Boy is almost as brave, and friendly too. Female kitten B is smaller and quieter. Initially she would hiss at everyone in Gen Pop, but she's gotten friendlier and more playful with more frequent access. She is pretty attached to me and still tries to nurse on my head/neck while I'm sleeping, even though we didn't sep from mom til about 12-13 weeks. On one hand, I can see Female A getting along great and not being bullied in the family, but she's buddies with her brother and I'd feel bad about splitting them up. I can see Female B doing OK in our family because she's not obnoxious, but am worried she might be bullied without her brother as protector. She might do better in my friend's smaller household with only 3 new cats and then having her brother as sidekick. If anyone wants to weigh in, I'd love opinions (please be kind :)). Our whole crew seems amused by the kittens, but I'm trying to guess at how the future would be. Thank you.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
houseofnine houseofnine - Personally, I'd keep kitten B; you might be surprised by how well she'll integrate, and how well she'll 'defend' herself without her Brother's protection; young-ish females integrate more easily into larger clowders (I have ten cats currently, and have lived with multi-cat households since the Eisenhower administration) than do most young males, and I've found this quite true of kittens and younger adolescent females, who seem to grow quite easily and quickly into independence.

Caveat: I've never found myself the recipient of the Most Rational Human Award, and after all, I do have ten cats, for Heaven's sake.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all (and it sounds as though - with 9!!! - you likely know alot about cats ) - - but you do know that at 16 weeks, the kittens can now begin to breed with each other (AND Mom) - right? Hopefully everyone is already fixed -- if not, I'd do so ASAP. It will also help in bringing their personalities a bit more in line with how they'll be as actual adults - and the way they treat the other little ones AND your "current pack." They should all be far more comfortable with each other if all are fixed - - less crankiness (even at this stage) as far as possessiveness and need to dominate you and each other. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you're willing to keep more than 1. They'll always have each other to play with when you're tired of being their constant playmate ;)

I'm tempted to say Kitten B also (obviously - this is to a large extent a crapshoot in so many ways - - - a) we haven't met them/seen them in person (altho your descriptions are delightful!). But the biggest is that kittens personalities and, and often do, (again - as I'm sure you know) change ENORMOUSLY from the time they're kittens to the time they're adults. Which is why I often recommending adopting adults......precisely because of that. Often I've seen total "lap kittens" go to adults who are quiet "sunbeam sitter" and nothing else. Not that that's bad! But it's just different than what you're seeing as kittens. But I guess I lean toward B as it sounds like Kitten B could really benefit by being worked with and socialized, and it sounds like you're very willing to do so. And I always love knowing that someone adopting a kitten is willing to work with it - - and deal with whatever comes their way personality wise! :)

Keep us posted (with pics if you can!) on what happens!

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with keeping kitten B. She is bonded with you which will help mom see that humans are good and not scary. (Any of them would have this effect most likely)
Since kitten B is integrating already she will probably become more confident because of her relationship with you and will be more respectful of the lessons the others will give.
Hope my "2 cents" help you with your decision. Keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi friends!
Mom is spayed already and healed up nicely. The three little guys are getting fixed next Thursday. They'll be 17 or 18 weeks. I had to wait 10 days to spay/neuter after the second round of kitten shots (vet's recommendation). The girls are over 4# and the boy is well over 5 # already! They are getting pretty darn social with Gen Pop, but still don;t have free reign all the time (esp overnight). I'm bunkmates with the kittens so they're not too lonely and get used to cuddling with their Human Valet!
We have decided to keep Female kitten B. She's come out of her shell so much in the last couple weeks and the Gen Pop is used to her now. My friend will be an awesome mom to the bonded pair--as much as it pains me to give them up, I really can't keep everyone (13 Cats??). Plus I'll have visitation rights.
Thanks everyone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I'm back again and need advice and/or moral support. Nothing is actually wrong, but the idea of giving up two of the three fosters is really making me sad. We have to keep mom because she's semiferal. The adopter originally only wanted one, but said she would take two (the boy and one girl) since they were buddies. She lives alone and has 3 already. The dynamic at my house has changed a bit: the less social female kitten has come out of her shell and plays with everyone, and is generally sweet and mellow. Meanwhile, the super social fearless female kitten has gotten to the point where she cuddles/grooms with a couple members of Gen Pop. The single boy kitten (who the adopter originally wanted), has stayed the same and is also sweet and playful. Do I keep both girls? I'm not sure what to do. That would bring the household up to 12. I think the boy is confident enough to go to new family (to my single friend with 3 indoor cats) on his own.
I suspect I sound neurotic. I'm trying to keep everyone happy: the kittens, Gen Pop, me and Hubs. Anyone with experience in these situations? My last foster was a foster fail where we kept everyone (family of 5!). We have no kids and my husband works from home most of the time. The cat ages in house are: 2 are 10, 1 is 6ish, 2 are 5, 4 are 4. Everyone is kept indoors. Thank you.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's wonderful that you are neurotic have the kitties' best interest at Heart.

Opinions / Questions:

1.) People with more than ten cats are just plain nuts.

2.) There's nothing wrong with being just plain nuts.

3.) I have only ten, so I'm not just plain nuts, but in your position I'd be tempted to keep all the kitties, and just have one big happy Family. I don't think I'd have the Heart to break Brothers and Sisters once they'd begun to integrate themselves into the Family.

4.) If your Husband did happen to feel that the cat situation was getting out of hand, would your Friend who lives alone and has 3 cats already consider taking him instead of a kitten?

5.) Have you chosen a name for the fixed feral you're feeding, since we both know that she's destined to come inside soon?

I think we should vote on it, and I invite everyone to cast their vote right here.

Keep all those kitties.
Keep all those kitties.
Keep all those kitties.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so hard letting fosters go. I had to stop fostering several years ago due to a few different things but one of them was that I had no more room. At least 4 of my "failed fosters" were due to medical reasons that kept the vet from signing off for anything but "special needs" adopters.

If you think that the person who wanted to adopt the pair of siblings to join her other 3 is financially capable to care for 5 and would be a loving forever home then I would let them go together with her.

It would enable you to work with your semiferal mama cat and maybe keep a little space to foster some more. Foster homes are so desperately needed and if you have confidence in the person you are allowing to adopt the one baby you might as well let her have the pair. You obviously did a great job of raising these babies and they will add a whole lot of joy to someone who's been waiting for them.

Hugs

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that since the other girl is getting along so well with your other cats that she will bond quickly to the new cats in her new home! Ultimately it is up to you- how much do you think you can handle. My house is a foster mess- if I am under 20 cats and kittens we are doing well lol. Only two are mine though lol (does that make me less nutty?)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My house is a foster mess- if I am under 20 cats and kittens we are doing well lol. Only two are mine though lol (does that make me less nutty?)
ashade1 ashade1 - Well in that case, I only have one cat, and the other nine stay here only so that I can divest myself of some of this vast hoard of cat food - and the one on the patio doesn't even count yet.

@Willowy , @Norachan , @jamescalifornia and houseofnine houseofnine , however, are all nutty.

;)