How to make a homemade flap for my homemade litter box enclosure?

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all! I've just finished putting together a small deck box where my cat's litter box fits perfectly. I've cut an opening for him in the front, padded the sides of the opening, and placed a box in front for a step. He is happily going in and out with no hesitation. He is 22 and blind, but highly adaptable, doing so well ; ))) Now, I want to create a simple flap to cover the opening, to aid in odor control. I'm trying to figure out what to use. I'm not handy enough to create a rigid swinging flap. I'm figuring cloth; but it can't be too light or too heavy. Maybe a piece of canvas? I do have sheet vinyl, maybe a piece of that, it's just thick marine-style clear vinyl. I want him to still go in and out without being bothered by the flap. Has anyone done this before? What do folks recommend?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Possible to see photo? If you are using cloth you can sew/hem in little weights at the bottom for oomph, but hard to see how to hinge it w/out photo.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
I see your dilemma: not like you can screw in hinges or anything. What about a weighted, lightweight cloth flap that is simply doubled over the top edge, taped or velcroed into place along the rim? Other questions arise: can your cat push through things it can’t see? If you are attempting to cut back in odor, could the problem be attacked by simply cleaning it out more often or getting an odor controlling litter? One last comment: I just read on TCS about a blind kitty w/ bent or injured whiskers which might have happened from pushing through things. Would that be a concern?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I see your dilemma: not like you can screw in hinges or anything. What about a weighted, lightweight cloth flap that is simply doubled over the top edge, taped or velcroed into place along the rim? Other questions arise: can your cat push through things it can’t see? If you are attempting to cut back in odor, could the problem be attacked by simply cleaning it out more often or getting an odor controlling litter? One last comment: I just read on TCS about a blind kitty w/ bent or injured whiskers which might have happened from pushing through things. Would that be a concern?
Hi, Margot, I put the blind cat you mention into the Search bar of TCS but nothing came up. Could you tell me more?
Also, I'm being super careful with odor because my roommate has allergies, so it already gets cleaned twice a day. This is just sort of the extra mile.
I'm not sure what he will do with a flap, but I'm about to try your suggestion of "over the top edge" and create a temporary test flap, and find out. Thanks, and stay tuned for the next thrilling instalment.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
“Blind cat’s whiskers getting mysteriously broken.”

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now, I want to create a simple flap to cover the opening, to aid in odor control.

The flap will just keep odors contained within the litter box. You might not smell anything but the inside of the litter box will smell like a really disgusting porta potty to the cat and that may cause issues. If you do need a flap, at least make sure it's not made of a solid material and drill additional ventilation holes in the sides of the box. Clear vinyl sheet would work if you can cut out a few ventilation holes into it. Attach small Command hooks to the top of the entrance and hook a flap to it.

Run an air filter / purifier near the litter box and elsewhere in the home to minimize odors and allergens to the roommate. Cat saliva is known to be an allergen some people are sensitive to. I'm not sure how to minimize that.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
What’s the next thrilling installment???:jive: